Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: how big is the Enterprise-A torpedo deck?
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much to my suprise, I can't find any guesses on the actual size of deck 13, the Torpedo deck. The best I've come up with is 80' long and 20' wide, based on the airlock door being 6' diameter (on the filming model). Any better guesses? I'm trying to draw a deck plan putting the ST:II set in it. One thing I discoverd is the Scott's Guide makes the room about 30' wide, while it only looks about 15' wide on screen. I know that the set wasn't made with the model in mind.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you should go based on the set design -- to me, the set looks like one half of the deck, while the sizing of the deck doesn't allow it to fit.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I did the 1701-A deck plans, I assumed that the set (the Bird-of-Prey bridge set), was the port-side torpedo bay, and was accompanied by an identical starboard-side one.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but... did you measure the lingth and width? Where ARE these blueprints you keep alluding to, anyway?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And can you give us the title that would most likely be "official" in such places as Amazon.com, as well as the ISBN number? I've been trying to locate a set of these for a couple years now, obviously w/no luck!
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't the refit Constitution Class have two foward and two aft torpedo launchers?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to dialogue in ST:VI, it has at least one, if not more aft photorp's, sure. While trying to locate Gen Chang's ship, Kirk says something about "standby aft torpedo's".

However, where are they...? [Confused]

I hate inconsistancies in continuity....

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't the aft torp launchers be behind the forward torp launchers?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I might be remembering a different line, but wasn't it "stand by photon torpedoes"?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's no aft launchers on the Connie Refit or Enterprise A.
Dozens of photos of the studio model would have shown it years ago. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw some schematic of the proposed "last" Constitution upgrade, it had aft launchers located at the rear of the launcher "box", very logical.
They should've included that for TMP, or at least TUC.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
I saw some schematic of the proposed "last" Constitution upgrade, it had aft launchers located at the rear of the launcher "box", very logical.

That would be the USS America, one of the Enterprise II class from Ships of the Star Fleet, volume one.

Of course, FASA also refitted some of the Enterprise class with aft tubes, but didn't bother to change the pictures to show this...

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mabye it would have been in that weird bump thingie under the shuttlebay?
It would at least hold with the Excelsior design ethic then...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The blueprint set I bought several years ago is the "U.S.S. Enterprise NCC-1701A Deck Plans", created by Strategic Design. One interesting difference I noted between them and the Shane Johnson drawings is in the Cross Section (Sheet 4 of 9). The deck plans have the turboshaft in the dorsal running in front of the intermix shaft in a single vertical tube, rather than the stairstep version in the Scott's Guide. As I said, interesing.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was in the Star Trek IV update material in 'Scott's Guide' that said something about an aft torpedo launcher being placed at the aft of the secondary hull above and behind the Shuttlebay Control Booth. Not changes to the model were evident of course.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps