Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Menage-a-Tech! {"Cogenitor" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ Menage-a-Tech! {"Cogenitor" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fairly engaging epsiode on the dramatic front, though most of the tech is on the alien's side - and not likely to be touched on again. Ah well... It's enough that we get a Trip Screws Up episode. [Smile]

-We open with Enterprise studying a "hypergiant", which I presume to be a really really big star. T'pol notes that the star is losing mass at a really fast rate, and will go boom in 100-200 years. For some reason, I'm made to think of the TNG episode with Lwaxana and that guy from M*A*S*H.

-T'pol also says that she may very wll be around when the hypergiant pops.

-"Astrometrics" is mentioned. Has it been before?

-When G'Kar/Tomalak's ship shows up and asks where Enterprise is from, Archer pulls a first and says they're from the Sol system. Unto the present, they've always said they're from Earth, no?

-The aliens this week, Vissians, have a lot of neat tech allowing them to study stars a helluva lot closer than our heroes. They've been a warp-capable species for about a thousand years, but don't seem to have much desire to stray too far from home (25ly away) despite being explorers. Their ship is larger than Enterprise and bullet-shaped, not unlike the Cardassian dreadnought.

-Fun with multigender species: Rigellians may have four or five sexes. Phlox speculates that the cogenitor gender in this case provides a facilitating enzyme-- and is interrupted by an uncomfy Trip, who's just happy to recieve an innoculation against omicron radiation, which will last him 12 years. T'pol says that tri-gender species are not uncommon.

-The alien ship doesn't need magnetic confinement for their mostly-CGI engine room.

-G'karmalok and Archer take a trip into the star's chronosphere in a nifty little "stratopod". Note that no metaphasics are involved; it's all because of their trinesium hull material. The pod set is that of the Enterprise inspection pod, flipped around and with the usual coverup greeblies applied.

-Archer and G'karmalok take off on a three-day study of the star, which is the B-plot of the episode. The star's photosphere is conveniently blue to reinforce the whole Jaques Cousteau feeling of the plot. Doesn't make much sense, but it looks a lot like various false-colour images we've seen from NASA.

-In an attempt to get laid, Reed puts together a selection of cheese and fruit to impress their female tactical officer who told him that human food smells pretty bland. They've been in space for two years now... How likely is it that they'll still have fresh fruit in storage? They have a "protein sequencer", but how far is it from the familiar replicator? Can they replicate fruit in its entirety?

-To provide the principal plot, Trip decides to teach the cogenitor how to read. To do so, he uses a PADD (or whatever it is) that's like a Speak'n'Spell. Oddly, it's ready to teach the cogenitor its own language...

-The aliens are surprised that Enterprise doesn't use "photonic" technology in their torpedoes - and Reed forgets again that he's run into that before. He manages to tell us that the phase pistols are charged by sarium microcells, but not much else as he finally gets his wish with the tactical babe - in the phase cannon storage well, no less!

-Trip's education of the cogenitor includes a tour of Enterprise, including the transporter bay (which we've not seen for a while) and the engine room, where Trip drops their maximum achieved speed of warp 5.1 from last year.

-Movie of the week: "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Klaatu barada nikto!

-Porthos!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
The star's photosphere is conveniently blue to reinforce the whole Jaques Cousteau feeling of the plot. Doesn't make much sense, but it looks a lot like various false-colour images we've seen from NASA.

Why is a blue photosphere unusual on a massive star?

quote:

Movie of the week: "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Klaatu barada nikto!

Still one of my all-time favorites.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
-Fun with multigender species: Rigellians may have four or five sexes. Phlox speculates that the cogenitor gender in this case provides a facilitating enzyme-- and is interrupted by an uncomfy Trip, who's just happy to recieve an innoculation against omicron radiation, which will last him 12 years. T'pol says that tri-gender species are not uncommon.

This + pregnant Trip from S1 = "Alien Nation" seroes viewing marathons in the writer's ghetto.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Marc Xavier
Member # 1008

- posted      Profile for Marc Xavier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
-In an attempt to get laid, Reed puts together a selection of cheese and fruit to impress their female tactical officer who told him that human food smells pretty bland. They've been in space for two years now... How likely is it that they'll still have fresh fruit in storage? They have a "protein sequencer", but how far is it from the familiar replicator? Can they replicate fruit in its entirety?
Why just not grow it in a greenhouse?

--------------------
The Furry Conflict, Star Trek vs. Star Wars with a unique twist...

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that technology exists to keep the fruit in some sort of stasis. "Now, Carl, when you mop the walk-in, don't forget to plug the Officers' Fruit Stasis machine back in."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
-"Astrometrics" is mentioned. Has it been before?
In the pilot they mentioned the Astrometrics Computer in San Fransisco. But there might be an Astrometrics lab on Earth ships as well.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
because astrometrics is _so very_ different from stellar cartography
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Why is a blue photosphere unusual on a massive star?"

Because giant stars are normally red? [Big Grin]

"-The aliens are surprised that Enterprise doesn't use "photonic" technology in their torpedoes - and Reed forgets again that he's run into that before."

Refresh my memory... how exactly do photons tie into a M/AM warhead?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noone has ever bothered to explain that. And that's because when they were invented for TOS, it wasn't a M/AM warhead, but ehm.. a photon torpedo. Hence the VFX of brightly colored bolts.

Perhaps.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Noone has ever bothered to explain that. And that's because when they were invented for TOS, it wasn't a M/AM warhead, but ehm.. a photon torpedo. Hence the VFX of brightly colored bolts.

Perhaps.

Erm, which member of the production staff thought that hitting an enemy ship with a not-so-blinding flash of light would be a viable tactical option? [Smile]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall my astronomy class correctly, a star's color and its size are not on a one-to-one basis. I think large, blue stars tend to be short-lived. Isn't Altair one?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, hotter stars are bluer, while cooler stars tend to be redder... Altair is a white-blueish A7 IIRC, bright & massive.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct on all counts. However, this "hypergiant" was red on the outside, but descending to the lower layers made it turn a cool blue. All of which is moot anyway, as ALL stars are REALLY REALLY BRIGHT when you get close to 'em! I suppose the stratopod could have been using filters or whatever on its CANOPY, but it all had this "let's go explore the coral reefs" feeling to it that was pretty silly, riding "waves" and "currents" of solar ejecta and such.

For reference: our sun's "surface" temperature is about 6000 degrees celsius. The Vissians can take 18,000, and more in the pod. Blue giants and supergiants can be much, much hotter...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Referencing the Sol System isn't new. Archer explained that he usually did business in the Sol System in "Canamar".

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
However, this "hypergiant" was red on the outside, but descending to the lower layers made it turn a cool blue.

Then, yes, that is silly. Not to mention that in this context, the photosphere is the outside. Incidentally, the corona is far hotter than the photosphere...

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps