Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ST5 torpedo cap? (shudder)

Author Topic: ST5 torpedo cap? (shudder)
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to even mention Star Trek V, but I'm trying to round out my page on photon torpedo shield glow growth. That's the only one I mention that I'm missing, and it's a pain in the posterior to find anything on The One We'd Rather Forget.

I know that images of the ST5 torpedo being fired are out there somewhere . . . I used to have a perfect one, showing the torpedo moments after it was fired, but I don't seem to anymore.

In case anyone's interested, the page it will be a part of is www.st-v-sw.net/STSWtorpglow.html

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry The Final Frontier is no-longer the 'bad-egg'. That title is now bestowed on Nemesis.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still sticking in the "I'd rather have bad than boring" catagory. TMP makes me want to kill.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One quick comment about your very interesting site: The later TOS stock photon torpedo effect is not the same as the phaser effect from BOT. In that episode, the effect was spherical, rather than the more tube shape effect used for later torpedo shots. It was also much less sophisticated looking.

I've actually always wondered what was going on with the phasers in BOT. There were episodes before it that used normal looking phasers. There were episodes after it. This was the only time they looked like, well, torpedoes (and the only time the SFX was used as well). What madness was it?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"There were episodes before it that used normal looking phasers."

I'm not certain there were. The Enterprise blew up the First Federation probe in "The Corbomite Maneuver," but were there any weapon effects to go along with this, or did the probe simply explode on the viewscreen? I'm reasonably sure "Balance of Terror" was the first time we saw the ship's phasers in action.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

But what about...er...

Okay, what episodes came before Balance of Terror, in both production and air date order?

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Balance of Terror" was production number 009 ("The Cage" being 001). But airdate order is waaay different:

"The Man Trap"
"Charlie X"
"Where No Man Has Gone Before"
"The Naked Time"
"The Enemy Within"
"Mudd's Women"
"What Are Little Girls Made Of?"
"Miri"
"Dagger of the Mind"
"The Corbomite Maneuver"
"The Menagerie, Part 1"
"The Menagerie, Part 2"
"The Conscience of the King"
"Balance of Terror"

Yuck.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

blssdwlf
Member # 1024

- posted      Profile for blssdwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some vidcaps.

Vidcap

Note I skipped a small scene right after the torpedo was fired and before kirk pushes mccoy and spock into cover.

Also, the funky pulse proximity phaser fire was used in DS9's Adversary (IIRC). Its just another mode thats there but not often used (or remembered.)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoah! Sweet! That was way more than I was hoping for. Thanks!

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps