Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Borg Encounters (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Borg Encounters
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The only thing I can think of is that the nanoprobes weren't functioning very well because of the original drone's deep freeze. But that's a stretch. Is there some other reason you can come up with?
I vote for the Denobulan super-immune system.
I'm sure there are other races who would be assimilate almost immediately and others that might hold off the infection for days or weeks.

I don't imagine that the Klingon Borg seen in ST:FC was easy to assimilate, especially give the Klingons' redundant organs and apparently robust physiology.

quote:
Captain Amasov and USS Endeavour?
Correct, but there is a chance that the Endeavour was the sole survivor of Wolf 359.
Of course that is mere conjecture.

quote:
Makes sense: the Federation has launched thousands of ships and lost dozens without explanation (or at least not comfirmed explanation anyway).
Indeed, for all we know the Hera, the Proxima, the Maryland or the Sarajevo could have been assimilated. Well not the Sarajevo since that ship supposedly made it back.

quote:
The Hansen's description may have been pure hearsay or telemetry from deep space probes
Could be, but I'm more inclined to belive that the El Aurians would want to warn the Federation about the force that destroyed their world.

quote:
The thing I hate about the "starfleet knew all along" is that it makes for a crappy "X-Files" kind of thing in Starfleet.
I wouldn't exactly call it a conspiracy, simply classified information that anyone with a high enough clearance can access.
the only conspiracy would be the imperative to protect the timeline and uphold the Temporal Prime Directive.

After all Starfleet would have a fairly limited ammount of information up until the events of BOBW. All they would know that there is a dangerous and technologically advanced, cybernetic species out there that flys around in cube shaped vessels, are generally hostile, capable of time travel and thought to have or will have a particular interest in Earth.
I'm sure Starfleet has dozens of such reports marked "may cause the destruction of civilisation as we know it".

quote:
Q really didint do anyone any big favors: The Borg probably were not intrested in immeadately assimilating the (comparativly) low-tech Federation untill the Enterprise demonstrated a super velocity drive far superior to Transwarp at the J system: the Borg could'nt have known that Q had saved the ship, they only saw something very useful to assimilate.
As I recally the Borg seamed pretty intent on assimilating the Enterprise before Q clicked his fingers. So the circa 2360's Federation technology must have been interesting enough for them to bother with. Plus a Galaxy Class Starship is quite a step up from an old 2350's survey vessel.
The Super-Transwarp-Q-Drive would just have been the iceing on the cake.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Correct, but there is a chance that the Endeavour was the sole survivor of Wolf 359.
Of course that is mere conjecture.

I thought that was the Ahwahnee...
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I thought that was the Ahwahnee...
It could be either.

There was another Ahwahnee with a similar registry shown on a display in "Redemption", but that may not necessarily have been the same ship and even if it was it might simply have been salvaged from W359 and therefore it couldn't have been technically considered a survivor.
A situation which would be consistent with the state of many of the other ships in Picard's Armada, given that it had just undergone or was still in the process of being refitted.

Alternatively the "Redemption" Ahwahnee could simply be another ship with a very similar registry that was remained after W359 and given the surviving Captain and/or crew of the previous vessel.

Personally though I perfer to think the Endevour was the lone survivor, mainly because when the Enterprise turned up there were no life readings which meant someone had to have picked up all those escape pods.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Personally though I perfer to think the Endevour was the lone survivor, mainly because when the Enterprise turned up there were no life readings which meant someone had to have picked up all those escape pods.

Or the Borg stuck around just long enough to get the bulk of the escape pods. [Eek!]

I've always wondered why the Borg didn't leave a hundred or so drones scattered thru-out the wreckage of the StarFleet ships. With all those raw materials around, they could have put together a working ship in a relatively short amount of time, given their general efficiency.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Locutus may have realized there were additional ships en route (Klingons) that the Borg had not encountered before and that could have thrown in a wild card best left avoided until after Earth's assimilation was throughly under way.
San Francisco would have made such a lovely Cube too...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thinking on that subject is that if they'd left a hundred or so drones behind, they would have virtually assured a Borg presence in the Alpha quadrant, and at Earths back door. Think of it, IIRC, E-D arrived hours after the battle had taken place, right? In that time, it might have been possible for the Borg to have gotten at least one small ship, if not more, space worthy by their standards and limped to a nearby star system. Or better yet, four or more groups of Borg could have gone to four or more different star systems. Little Borg colonies that would take a relatively short amount of time to pose a threat to the rest of the Federation. Think about it. A few small ships disappearing here and there. A prospector ship goes missing. A small transport fails to show up on time. A pleasure ship just disappears.

After all, what's 100 or so drones to a Borg cube that likely has 100,000+ on board when compared to the taking of the Federation?

Of course, the real reason is: it wasn't in the script.... [Wink]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Borg overconfidence and Picard's subconsious fighting the Borg are the only reasons that make sense.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd vote for the former, along with the idea that the Borg simply aren't in a hurry to assimilate the known universe. Otherwise, well, they'd have probably done it by now.
Griffworks
Member # 1014

Then why did the even make the trip to the Alpha quadrant...? They've done the same thing that everyone has bitched about the Xindi doing in "The Expanse" - they've given fore-knowledge of their intensions and pretty much made the Federation work harder to be prepared for them if they should ever come in-force. Tacticly speaking, if splitting off a small force won't make a difference in an upcoming major battle, but could possibly help to win the war, you do it.

So much for the logical thinking of the Borg, neh? They should've just left them in the Delta Quadrant after "Q Who"....

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because what you are proposing is too cunning for the Borg to do. They are little more than cybernetic juggarnauts, not a rebel terrorist group hiding out in the Bad Lands...they just don't work that way.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I agree.
The Borg may not have been going after the Federation directly after the first contact in the "J' system.
They probably just made a note to assimilate the Federation when their appointment calander had an opening and they had a ship in the area for other fun.
Mabye they waited untill the ship that scooped up the colonies in The Neutral zone was as large as the one in the J system or untill the two ships could randevous.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that, as shown, the Borg should be more cunning than a fox with a degree in cunning plans from the University of Cunning.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

University of...?

Crack, Sol: It's a bad thing, remember? [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Crack, Sol: It's a bad thing, remember? [Wink]

Leave him alone, he's been through enough, what with all the destructive alien probages he's received, and those two Borg Cubes from behind.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yes.

Huh?

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps