Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Registry ## inspiration for 2245-2285 period?

Author Topic: Registry ## inspiration for 2245-2285 period?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, I know, this'll probably turn into another one of those multi-page threads where absolutely nothing gets solved. [Wink]

I've been chatting with Masao about various issues relating to TOS registry numbers lately, trying to keep as many ideas sorted out as possible.

Recently I've really grown to like the idea of the Excelsior's transwarp project being a decade-plus long endeavor... it would explain the lack of a "registry gap" between the 1701 and the 2000, taking into account the TNG system and assuming that Starfleet's numbers were basically chronological right from the start.

I realized that we've got a minimum date to set here: the USS Constellation was destroyed by the Doomsday Machine some time in 2267 -- meaning that the prototype for the Constellation class can't have been started (or at least completed, if the prototype were renamed) before that year.

Since the Constellation had a registry of NX-1974, that means that the Excelsior's registry can NOT have been assigned any sooner than 2267!

(My explanation for the ship's "certification tests" in the TUC displays is that it was on a final testing phase following some refit or other. [Wink] )

Considering that we also have a fairly definitive launch date of 2283 for the USS Hathaway, this would actually fit in pretty well!

Ideally, it would be nice to fit in FJ's Federation class design with the original registry number... but considering that Starfleet has the lower-numbered Constellation using the movie-era ship style, having an exact TOS-style dreadnought built new in 2270 seems less logical...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no comment
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*puts on flame-retardant suit*

Following my Jeffries-extrapolated system, the Constitutions are the 17th Cruiser design, the Mirandas are the 18th, I knock the Constellation prototype down to NX-1900, the Excelsior is the 20th design, and the Federation class is the 21st.

The Miranda class introduced (in my scheme) the movie-style saucer and the oversized movie-style impulse deck (less refined technology). The Constellation I mark as the testbed for what would become the LN-64 nacelle -- albeit in truncated form. The Excelsior obviously took a while, even if they were building more before the transwarp project went phut. Which leaves the Federation to build a ship out of proven yet modified components to serve for the fifteen years or so until the Excelsior class is ready to move in...

But that's just my take, and it depends on discarding the FASA-Okuda system that is currently in vogue, as well as the Franz Joseph system that was almost all wrong.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Following my Jeffries-extrapolated system, the Constitutions are the 17th Cruiser design, the Mirandas are the 18th, I knock the Constellation prototype down to NX-1900, the Excelsior is the 20th design, and the Federation class is the 21st.

Fair enough. Except the Federation isn't a cruiser. It's a Dreadnought. Having the first commissioned c.2270 with 'old' tech makes sense- after all, the Enterprise and the 'new' tech hadn't had a chance to prove themselves yet. However, it would make even more sense if the last few of the Federations were delayed and redesigned with 'new' tech following the evaluation of the Enterprise (and other classes) performance. The remainder could be bought up to specs in a refit program.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is a dreadnought but a cruiser with more weapons and engines?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ideally, it would be nice to fit in FJ's Federation class design with the original registry number... but considering that Starfleet has the lower-numbered Constellation using the movie-era ship style, having an exact TOS-style dreadnought built new in 2270 seems less logical...
I had the same thought, which was why I drew a more appropriate design.

To be honest the exact timeing of these prototypes isn't really that vital sincee project can be delayed, haulted, put into mothballs, restarted and completed decades after their initiation.
A senario that could apply to the Constellation.
It's even possib;e that a Class development project can be re-named at some point.
It's possible that the Constellation was originally going to be called "Crunchy Armadillo-Class" but was renamed when the Planet Kikker claimed the Constellation to honour the fallen vessel and it's crew.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who didn't realize, I am specifically trying to reconcile this stuff with ALL of Trek so far -- meaning the TNG system of basically chronological registries with minimal reordering. (Or at least, minimal reordering in the TOS era when there were a lot fewer ships.)
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:

Right, agreed there.
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
To be honest the exact timeing of these prototypes isn't really that vital sincee project can be delayed, haulted, put into mothballs, restarted and completed decades after their initiation.

Oh sure, that's possible. However, I'd prefer to think that if they really did delay the FJ Federation for 15 years, then it wouldn't look much like the TOS Enterprise at all.

More like your own design, Kris. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Topher:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, agreed there.

Well, technically, it's a battleship with more guns and engines.... [Big Grin] Just being difficult. But the different designation implies a different design purpose, eg. more combat oriented. I supose that it could be the 21st capital ship design?

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Well, technically, it's a battleship with more guns and engines.... [Big Grin] Just being difficult. But the different designation implies a different design purpose, eg. more combat oriented. I supose that it could be the 21st capital ship design?

I thought Dreadnought was a synonym for Battleship, named for the Dreadnought Class Battleships of the early 20th century...
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

Sort of; the Dreadnought class was just a large Battleship but it soon came to mena the type of ship that was bigger and better than a battleship, to differentiate between pre and post HMS Dreadnought vessels. Of course, then you've got battlecruisers and heavy cruisers and so on and on. [Smile]

--------------------

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course maybe they just pulled some random numbers from their asses and decided to assign them and they actually do not have any sort of chronological meaning.

By the way I have been gone for the past 5 months and this is my way of getting back into the groove

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps