Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship names and US Astronauts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starship names and US Astronauts
Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were there any starship names in Trek named after astronauts? I had an idea a week back and was wondering if there was ever a USS Armstrong or Aldrin etc.

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an Armstrong... also a Grissom, Chaffee, Shepard, and Scovil. Maybe more.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
USS Armstrong (DS9 Apocalpse Rising)
USS Grissom NCC-623 (ST3)
USS Grissom (DS9 Field of Fire)
USS Shepard (ST4)

These are the only ones named after US astronauts as such, I think. There are non-US astronauts and astronomers as well.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be useful.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scovil?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Scovil?

From the Operation Retrieve chart in TUC. NCC-1598. Named for Jack Scovil.

There was also a U.S.S. Hauck (named for NASA astronaut Frederick Hauck) in Rick Sternbach's tech writeup on the Intrepid-class from Star Trek: The Magazine.

The Defiant on DS9 had a shuttle named Chaffee.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are we sure that it is named for Jack Scovil? Two other vessels on this chart were named after astronomers, so maybe the Scovil is named after astronomer Charles Scovil.

Who is this Jack Scovil, anyway? The only page that mentions him is yours, MMoM. I've tried "jack scovil+astronaut" and "jack scovil+nasa".

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Raven:
Were there any starship names in Trek named after astronauts? I had an idea a week back and was wondering if there was ever a USS Armstrong or Aldrin etc.

Here's a model I made of Starfleet's starship Armstrong:

USS Armstrong

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Are we sure that it is named for Jack Scovil? Two other vessels on this chart were named after astronomers, so maybe the Scovil is named after astronomer Charles Scovil.

Who is this Jack Scovil, anyway? The only page that mentions him is yours, MMoM. I've tried "jack scovil+astronaut" and "jack scovil+nasa".

That's the source for the name that's given in Bjo Trimble's Star Trek Concordance, where the ship and the others from TUC are listed. But you could still be right. I don't know whether the name origins were furnished Trimble by Okuda or if she just researched the names herself and picked what she thought was the most likely candidate...

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow thanks, especially for that link, Wraith

--------------------
The Legend of Jeff Raven: As told by himself

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried to find some reference to this Jack Scovil too. NASA's astronaut pages doesn't list him in any category, either active or former. http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/astrobio.html

Maybe he's become an unperson somehow?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing on an astronaut named Jack Scovil. The only well-known Jack Scovil out there is a New York literary agent.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's the shuttlecraft Onizuka and there's a Scobee too isn't there?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to digress but where are the foward torp launchers for the Armstrong SoundEffect?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps