Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship names and US Astronauts (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Starship names and US Astronauts
newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jack Scovil was slated to be an Apollo astronaut; unfortunately for him, he was killed in an accident prior to the fire on board Apollo 1. I remember his name from the miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon", which aired on HBO and was subsequently released on DVD.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scovil

Actually, I think Spike has it nailed on his website that it is not Jack Scovil, but Charles Scovil.

quote:
U.S.S. Scovil , NCC-1598
The Scovil did astronomical research in 2293.
ST6 The Undiscovered Country.

Named after astronomer Charles Scovil. According to Bjo Trimble's Concordance, the Scovil appeared on a computer display.

Upon further research, it seems logical, if not an in-joke or nod-of-the-hat, to have the ship conducting astronomical research, as that is what Charles Scovils job is.

Evidently Charles Scovil is a fairly prominent star-chart cartographer who issued the AAVSO Variable Star Atlas in 1982, and the 2nd edition in 1990. The AAVSO (the American Association of Variable Star Observers) is "the world's largest variable star organization, serving amateur and professional astronomers since 1911". Currently, this Scovil is on the AAVSO committee in charge of 'New Charts, Telescope'.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The following American astronauts died in plane crashes:
Theodore Freeman - October 31, 1964
Charles Bassett II - February 28, 1966
Elliot See - February 28, 1966
Clifton Williams, Jr October 5, 1967
Robert Lawrence, Jr. - December 8, 1967
Michael J. Adams - November 15, 1967
Stephen Thorne - May 24, 1986
Manley Carter, Jr. - April 5, 1991

Ed Givens was killed in a car crash on June 6, 1967

The deaths mentioned prominently in "From the Earth to the Moon" were those of Elliot See and Charlie Bassett.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
Sorry to digress but where are the foward torp launchers for the Armstrong SoundEffect?

Couldn't find 'em on the study model photo, so mine doesn't have them for now either. I would conjecture the only logical place for them to be is on the Typhoon Sail piece somewhere.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or then the ship doesn't have 'em. After all, neither does the Oberth class.

A tail tube might still be there for allowing the ship to better flee a fight, much like the Galaxy saucer has one.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the starships Armstrong have given me a headache
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Identifying the cause is the first step towards the cure. It's DC Comics that have given you your headache.

I'm all for trying to incorporate Diane Duane's starships into the greater whole, although her weird timeline makes that a chore nowadays. But in the way of the comic books lies madness.

Of course, you could always say that any two coexisting Armstrongs are named after Neil and Louis, respectively.

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DC comics is the least of this one.. the real problem is the Oberth Armstrong from the Malibu DS9 premiere that comflicts with the Challenger Armstrong.. Duane's cutter Armstrong could be a civilian vessel or not be Starfleet, thus explaining it coexisting with th dreadnought Armstrong from the admittedly non-canonical 5.25 floppy Begin game.. the only problem with the DC Miranda Armstrong is its low registry, which is a problem that no longer irks me in light of NCC-1017 and its ilk
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps