Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships of the Line Calendar 2004 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line Calendar 2004
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received my calendar. I'm a bit disappointed, since the images don't look much better than what you can see at Scifi Meshes. Some of them have a posed CGI composition-look about them rather than looking like still frames from the show or real-life photos. Maybe it's because the lighting is off, with the backgrounds not matching the foregrounds? A few have Poser people that look bad. (Also, too much NX-01)

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I don't like is the complete omission of anything from Deep Space Nine!!!!
fucking VOYAGER has two pics that look just like all the other Voyager calander art and the NX-01 facing down the Andorians and Vulcans looks like a screenshot that was rendered over.
Even the angle is the same. [Roll Eyes]

A nice shot of the DS9 facing off the Klingons or Dominion just prior to the battle would have been nice....(sigh!)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

A nice shot of the DS9 facing off the Klingons or Dominion just prior to the battle would have been nice....(sigh!)

Not if it is as bad as Masao says... then lets be thankful there was no DS9 connection!

I still think Mojo should do a big wall poster of DS9 art.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
The calander's 20 plus inches across.
My scanner (at work, no less) is not.

scan part of the pics...

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeesh, folks - as crappy as the art may be (and I'm sure there has to be some redeeming features), I'd think the thumbnails would be sufficient...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The artwork is NOT crappy in any way.
Some pics are more inspired and have better composition than others though.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not saying that the work is "crappy" exactly, but I'm not extremely impressed. The images obviously settle for a CGI form of reality without looking like they exist in the real world. For example:
1. A shot of V'ger's cobblestone walkway to the refit Ent has these Poser (?) figures (representing the Big three, Decker, and Ilia), with tiny heads and overly tall bodies)
2. The centerfold shot of the NX-01 crew standing on the hull again has fake-looking and strangley posed Poser figures.
3. Two pics with NX-01 (with the Romulans and with the ring ships) have stagy-looking compositions in which everything is perfectly placed to not overlap each other. A 2-D composition only.
4. The textures on the big "Canada arm" for NX-01 in drydock is supposed to be some sort of insulation sheath but looks likes like a standard rendered texture.
5. The shot of the Doomsday Machine uses this same texture. This pic also has a strong yellow light coming from the maw that nonsensically bathes the port side fo Constellation.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel i have to jump in and speak up for all the CGI artists on this board and elsewhere, the pictures are very realistic, for a given value of 'real'. None of the stuff depicted in the shots is real, it's all pure conjecture and imagination. Since we are human however we are programmed to be very, very good at spotting and recognising other humans, so those tend to be the flaws that leap out at us in CGI pictures. The CG in the shows get away with it by adding movement, either animated or motion captured, which helps to sell the 'humanity' of the character being protrayed, but that's not an option here. The only thing they could do would be to composite in real humans in suits that were photographed and lit for the occasion, and I guarantee that it would cost more for one such shot than it cost to produce the entire calander.

Please also bare in mind that it's still art; the composition, lighting, texturing and all the other elements were created and posed by a person with an aesthetic vision which may differ radically from your own. Although many people see CGI as making 'realistic' scenes or pictures, the individual CG artist is adding a lot of themselves to the piece. The software is rarely capable of making a scene look real without a lot of tweaking and direction from the artist. If the scene with the planet-killer was lit totally realistically, you'd see practically nothing.

Having said that I have to agree that some of the shots are a little disappointing in both content and execution. When i saw the E-nil with the Botany Bay my hackles instantly went up, it looks awfully like my mesh of the BB in that thumbnail. I'd need to see it closer to check if it's a rehash or not, although I'd assume they wouldn't be so crass as to nick a publically available mesh and not give credit. Or am i just flattering myself? [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Axeman 3D:
Since we are human however we are programmed to be very, very good at spotting and recognising other humans,

Speak for yourself fleshbag!
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If the scene with the planet-killer was lit totally realistically, you'd see practically nothing.

Still it could have been a little darker and less colorful...like the BB pic.

For small thumbnails, check this thread everyone who has not/will not get the calender but interested in seeing what the hoohah is about.

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB20&Number=1837928&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having checked out the scans, I gotta say two the majority of the images come across as too busy and not having a clear focus. For instance, the planet killer and the two starships aren't enough...there has to be planet rubble as well as sparks coming off the Constellation. Voyager and the Flyer AND a planet AND a nebula. NX-01 and two Vulcan ships, AND...

Less is more.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, a couple of those images are a little too busy for my liking as well, particularly the one with all the crap in orbit around the NX-01. When you have a large format to fill however the tendency is to cram in as much interesting stuff as you think you can get away with, and if their models are anything like mine then they dont bare up to really close examination. [Big Grin]

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
yeah, a couple of those images are a little too busy for my liking as well, particularly the one with all the crap in orbit around the NX-01. When you have a large format to fill however the tendency is to cram in as much interesting stuff as you think you can get away with, and if their models are anything like mine then they dont bare up to really close examination. [Big Grin]

Just out of curiosity, how many polys or vertexes do you have in a typical model?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NX-01 is 500,000 polygons.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I never put vertexes in my models.
Never.
It's a matter of principle.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps