Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ships of the Line Calendar 2004 (Page 5)

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: Ships of the Line Calendar 2004
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I never put vertexes in my models.
Never.
It's a matter of principle.

Then what do you call the points on your polys?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um... vertices

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capped in Mic:
um... vertices

Oh yeah. I gave up 3D modeling in 1993 and my terminology clearly needs a shot from the ol oil can.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use no vertices either!
It's just not done!
I use no polys and if I did, they'd cetainly not have vertices!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voxels, then? B)

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on the model, a pretty detailed small fighter can weigh in at anywhere between 60,000 and 110,000 polygons with image maps weighing it at around 64 meg. I did a little dalek shuttle once that came in at 120,000 and no image maps, the surface being covered in tons of raised heiroglyphics.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys

I saw the calendar today for the first time and I immediately thought of all of you! I figured it was about time I came in for a visit and said hi.

You're probably wondering what I think... and, for obvious reasons, I will keep a detailed opinion to myself. Clearly a lot of hard work went into this calendar and just about all the folks who created the imagery are my friends, so kudos to them for keeping the series alive.

I quite like Sean Scott's image of the NX-01 in drydock. The composition and use of wide angle lens is very bold. It's definately my fave.

I agree with many of the comments here that there could be more focus, more of a theme in the images. In the previous calendars, I would decide on a theme and sketch out most of the shots in advance for this very reason.

This time around, the artists were pretty much asked to just come up with something neat on their own. Since there was no single creative filter on the project, each month is pretty much an individual artistic vision.

The difference is apples and oranges, of course!

The heavy slant towards Enterprise is probably because most of the artists in the calendar are working on the show, so those are the models they have handy.

I'm flattered that you guys would like me to do some sort of DS9 wall poster. If I get some free time in the future I'd love to. I'll let you know! Perhaps The Communicator is interested in some art...

As for what I've been up to, until recently I was supervising the CG for the new Trek ride, "Borg Encounter," coming soon to a Las Vegas near you.

During the last few months I have been busy on non-Trek related projects. Well, one of them is sort of Trek related, but you'll just have to wait and see :-)

Hope you're all well, it's nice to see I am still remembered!

Mojo

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kickass! Mojo, you still kick ass!

Mark

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Voxels, then? B)

None of my models use Voxels, Polygons, no image maps....none o' that fancy stuff.

....although some of my models do use geometric shapes. [Wink]

I'm amazed no ones gotten the nature of my models yet!
I'd have thought Stephen or Andrew would have said something by now.....

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I am busy writing my thesis - and no, it's not on Trek [Frown] [Smile]

Jason - you do PHYSICAL MODELS! [Smile] (of the starship variety) [Smile]

MOJO!! Yeahhhhh! Woo - wb!!

If you do a wall poster - that would be absolutely fantastic - I salivate at the idea and would be first in line to buy it. There have NEVER been any good (or just any) DS9 posters. Think of the detail you could have on a poster people!?! Drool!

Oh and Mojo... you mentioned Communicator... I like my posters to be 'non-creased' I'd frame it, but it on a backing board and put it on my wall. With your signature would be a bonus! [Smile]

Oh I know it'd be cool.

Thanks for dropping bye Mr. Mo.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree, a DS9 poster would be great.

And nice to know you are still around occasionally, Mojo. I just saw you the other day while rewatching the Star Trek - The Motion Picture Bonus DVD. Great work on that Director's Edition! [Smile]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Austin Powers:
I just saw you the other day while rewatching the Star Trek - The Motion Picture Bonus DVD. Great work on that Director's Edition! [Smile]

Speaking of which, Mojo, who was responsible for the Golden Gate Bridge shots in that?

--------------------

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The GG Bridge shots were done by myself and a very talented guy named Bob Quinn.

As far as the poster goes, what I could do is upload a hi-res image to Ofoto.com. If I share it in a guest area, anyone can order any size print they like and have it shipped to them. Excellent quality and as large as 20x30, I think. This has worked well in the past and the prices are reasonable.

In fact, if any of you like, I can upload the magazine covers I did for ST: The Magazine. I created horizontal versions of them for a convention charity auction once. I think I've got the WOK and ST III shots around somewhere...

Mojo

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to see you after a year, Mojo! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Upload them images!
A nice Ds9 poster would rock!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps