Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Why Wolf 359? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Why Wolf 359?
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something's been bugging me. It's probably just part of the larger problem of the writers not knowing where the hell anything really is, but still . . .

Wolf 359's present location (which won't change significantly in the next 300 years, relative to Earth) puts it away from the line one would expect a Borg ship to take.

http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/12lys.html

As that shows, the Borg must've come in from far above the galactic plane. And, because our solar system is only tilted off of the galactic plane by 5.5 degrees and slightly above the galactic plane, they must've done some odd maneuvering to come in along a Saturn-Earth trajectory. (It's also possible to use a planetary plotting program like Celestia to figure out which way Saturn was from Earth at that point, but though I've done so before I don't have the results handy at the moment.)

In any case, it always struck me as a weird, weird mystery.

The only coincidental thing I've found is that Wolf 359 lies in the opposite direction from the sun's direction of travel relative to what's nearby (as can be seen somewhat on this page), meaning (in theory) that the density of the local medium would've been at its smallest due to the sun's passage.

But surely that's just coincidental . . . there are, after all, so many other stars around us, or even between here and the Delta Quadrant, that it seems impossible for there to have been so much effort expended on what couldn't have been much gain.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they were taking the scenic route...? [Big Grin]
David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they stopped to ask for directions?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they wanted to quickly assimilate some other species along the way?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they were looking for the strip club...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have to assume the Borg beelined from their encounter with Picard to Earth, or else Starfleet wouldn't be able to predict that Wolf 359 was a viable intercept point. But we don't have to assume the Borg beelined all the way.

While within the Sol system, I'm sure they took every opportunity they could get to assimilate new defense tech. Jupiter outposts, Mars defense perimeter units, so why not the Titan training range installations as well? If they ever were in a hurry, that hurry ended at Wolf 359.

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well are you assuming that the Borg went (with stops along the way):

Delta Quadrant ---New Providence Colony---Zeta Alpha II---> Earth

OR...didn't Picard run from the Borg enough...say to that mick-nebula where they hid...would you suppose that that was far enough off the original (presumed) beeline to reset the course for the Borg to nebula---Wolf 359---> Earth.

Just a thought...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I somehow doubt the detour to the Paulson nebula really affected the Borg course much. Picard intercepted the Borg while they were on an unspecified but also unwavering course, had a fight, and fled to the nearest possible cover he could find. When he emerged, the Borg caught up with him in mere seconds. The detour would have been a matter of warp-minutes at most.

Timo Saloniemi

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would prefer to think that there are anomalies in the galaxy that would be dangerous to the Borg. The Borg are advanced, right? I would like to believe that they have mapped out the dangerous anomalies, and decided to plot the "quickest, most safest route" to earth. Which takes them to New Providence Colony, Zeta Alpha 2, and Wolf 359.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the Borg utilize a transwarp hub system.

a) We don't know if the emergence points are random, limited and pre-selected, or capable of being dialed in at will to any coordinates desired.

b) We don't know if the borg cube(s) (since there were survivors of the 359 battle in the Delta Quadrant, we should hypothesize at least one other cube) came from some other mission in our quadrant (somewhere 'behind' w359 from Sol's POV), or whether the emergence point was likewise 'behind' W359. Analysis of the timeline in BoBW may allow us to calculate approx where said Point of Origin is for the cube(s).

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
since there were survivors of the 359 battle in the Delta Quadrant, we should hypothesize at least one other cube
This seems unreasonable to me. First Contact showed us that cubes are perfectly capable of carrying auxiliary craft. Rather than bringing in another cube, it seems just as likely that the Borg sent some of their freshly assimilated volunteers back home on a sphere, or whatever, for reasons Mysterious and Borglike.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Borg probably detoured to Wolf 359 to wipe out the fleet on pupose.
Nothing says "Resistance is Futile" to the general populace like destroying all their defenses in one handy place. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why would the fleet rendezvous there?

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might have been the closest randevous point for that many scattered ships and once they confirmed the Borg had changed course to intercept them they just stayed put hoping to hold off the Borg untill the Klingon reenforcments could arrive.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hanson: "We've assembled a fleet of forty starships at Wolf 359. We'll make our stand there."

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps