Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Why Wolf 359? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Why Wolf 359?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm...mabye he mentioned the idea to Picard (during their discussion while the others played cards)and via Locutus, thr Borg knew where the fleet would be?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too much supposition.

Occam's Razor - (dictum of logic) states that the simplest explanation is usually the best.

The simplest explanation is that W359 was on a direct line between Earth and the cube flightpath - and that the fleet could reach it prior to the cube passing that point.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhhh... guys? I think you're forgetting an important point -- that the Borg wanted Picard specifically. Doesn't it seem possible -- even likely -- that the Borg were snooping around the outskirts of the Federation to find out where the Enterprise was? We already know that they were hanging around the Neutral Zone for a while -- probably the most heavily fortified region of space in the quadrant at the time, and still no one saw them.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plenty of folks probably saw them in the Neutral Zone....but noone ever saw them again. [Wink]

Occam's Razor was used on the Borg in their first appearance and was quickly adapted to.
That principle of science nolonger has an effect on hem.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Dan's got it there. The cube was not necessarily heading towards Earth at first. Wherever New Providence was may not be relevant - it's where the USS Lalo was that may cinch it. The cube destroyed/assimilated the Lalo, and the Enterprise went after it. Cube meets Enterprise, gets the idea of assimilating Picard. They get Picard, and THEN start heading towards Earth. I believe it's at that point that Worf reports that they're heading towards Sector 001. This difference in original locations may help determine why Wolf 359 is on the way.

Or, they simply had to divert around something. Maybe the Delphic expanse. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, I suspect the real reason is that Wolf 359 is the closest star with the coolest name that isn't way too common. (Alpha Centauri.) Barnard's Star sounds a bit too pedestrian. And who can pronounce Procyon? Sirius would lead to wacky mixups. "Prepare to rendezvous with the fleet." "Where?" "Sirius." "Yes, of course I am." It writes itself!

Uh, yeah. Anyway. Once I saw a car parked at Taco Bell with a custom liscence plate that read "WOLF359."

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/inner_system.jpg
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/444/outer_system.jpg
Here you go -- two shots, with the date and time visible on the shot. [Smile]

As you can see, Mars is very CLEARLY outside of the direct line from Saturn to Earth.. but it's also not a huge detour if the Borg wanted to take the scenic route and go through the thickest part of the Sol System's defenses.

'Course, if those three pods were the strongest part of the defenses for Earth, then they deserved to get attacked anyway. [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I blame Gomtu.
Fucking space potato.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Speaking of Wolf 359, I have the Celestia 3D astronomy program and I cannot find Wolf 359 in it. I wonder if it's got an alternate name (Munich 15040 is an alternate name for Barnard's Star if I recall). Anyone else use this program and have any ideas?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Uh, yeah. Anyway. Once I saw a car parked at Taco Bell with a custom liscence plate that read "WOLF359."

yeah, while driving through Kalamazoo, I saw a Ford Explorer (this was the 4-door 'pick-up' style Explorer) that had a customized "Borg" paint job...complete with "resistance is futile" and the red Borg 'claw'/symbol on the tail gate and some pretty slick pinstripes. I actually tried to take a picture of it, but i was going 80mph and i haven't had the film developed yet, so it will be interesting to see how that turned out...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...I cannot find Wolf 359 in it."

Search for Gliese 406.

Also: you are here.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Wolf 359: Also known as Gliese (Gl) 406, Giclas (G) 45-20, Luyten FT (LFT) 750, Luyten Two-Tenth (LTT) 12923, Luyten Half-Second (LHS) 36

http://www.stellar-database.com/Scripts/search_star.exe?Name=wolf+359

Try searching that site more often -- it's a pretty cool reference. [Smile]

--------------------

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw an old Plymouth Relient with the plates reading NCC-1864

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
at school i saw a SUV with the reg '74205' .. i wanted to leave a Defiant note or something, but seeing as the owner probably knew nothing of trek since it was a generic truck registry, not a vanity, i decided against it
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I blame Gomtu.
Fucking space potato.

LOL! Where did that come from!?! LMFAO!! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps