Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Why Wolf 359? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Why Wolf 359?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
at school i saw a SUV with the reg '74205' .. i wanted to leave a Defiant note or something, but seeing as the owner probably knew nothing of trek since it was a generic truck registry, not a vanity, i decided against it

Heeh eeeheh

"At the top of the news this hour... Trek nerd beaten up by truck driver in a carpark"

quote:
Of course, I suspect the real reason is that Wolf 359 is the closest star with the coolest name that isn't way too common. (Alpha Centauri.) Barnard's Star sounds a bit too pedestrian. And who can pronounce Procyon? Sirius would lead to wacky mixups.
Picard to Sisko: "Have we met before?"
Sisko to Picard: "At Barnard's Star"
Picard: "Is that a gay bar?"
Sisko: *taps communicator* "Ben Sisko to Jake Sisko! Get your stuff - we're leaving!"

[Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Picard really said that, he'd have had that tea set rammed where no tea set has gone before!
I really thought SIsko was gonna deck him the first time I saw Emissary.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admiral Hanson, where's the battle?

we're at Sirius..

Yes, i know the homeland security level.. but where's the battle!?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Eclipse
Member # 472

- posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Picard to Sisko: "Have we met before?"
Sisko to Picard: "At Barnard's Star"
Picard: "Is that a gay bar?"
Sisko: *taps communicator* "Ben Sisko to Jake Sisko! Get your stuff - we're leaving!"

[Smile]

ROTFLMAO!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easily impressed, eh?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the course of the borg cube as close as I can tell.

Cube's Trajectory

This is the closest conjunction I could find near Dec 2366 and Jan 2367.

I suppose the most obvious reason for such an indirect course would be gravity, even the Borg must appreciate physics, they were probably just being fuel efficient by using the gravity wells of Saturn, Sol and Mars to either slow down from their exit from warp or to help propel them in-system without taxing the impulse drives unnecessarily.
Not that I think they're incapable of cutting right across the gravitational incline, just that they're not in any particular hurry and they like to be efficient with their resources.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

blssdwlf
Member # 1024

- posted      Profile for blssdwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason I remember that the E-D entered the solar system and managed to go from the outer planet to Earth (or was it Mars?) in a whopping fast time (like faster than light) and supposedly still stayed at impulse. Anyone catch how fast they were going based on time and distance?
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blssdwlf:
Anyone catch how fast they were going based on time and distance?

Whooping fast.

[Big Grin]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at "Warp point-five" the Enterprise managed to get from Earth out past Jupiter before they ran out of music. [Smile] In TMP, that is.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by blssdwlf:
For some reason I remember that the E-D entered the solar system and managed to go from the outer planet to Earth (or was it Mars?) in a whopping fast time (like faster than light) and supposedly still stayed at impulse. Anyone catch how fast they were going based on time and distance?

In BoBW, one would have thought that the Enterprise could've tried to catch up faster by not dropping out of warp at Saturn, which (according to the exquisite program Celestia) ought to be about 10.442 AUs distant circa January 1, 2367 . . . or about 1,562,123,200 kilometers.

Interestingly, though, that's 1.446 light-hours, meaning it would take a ship moving at lightspeed about 90 minutes to traverse that distance. Wasn't the "fastest we could intercept" 42 minutes?

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

blssdwlf
Member # 1024

- posted      Profile for blssdwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, thats what I thought I remembered [Big Grin]

It was whoppin' fast(TM).

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I blame Gomtu.
Fucking space potato.

LOL! Where did that come from!?! LMFAO!! [Smile]
"Tin Man" was on TNN the other night.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
Cube's Trajectory

This is the closest conjunction I could find near Dec 2366 and Jan 2367.

Helluva cool, but I don't see any need for them to go to Mars. Worf simply stated that they'd broken through the Mars Defense Perimeter . . . that need not imply a flyby.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yeah. But then again, we SAW the red planet on screen.

It was a clever shot, really. The three interceptors seem to ascend from Mars or low Martian orbit, move across the screen to the Cube that emerges from the right; the Cube wastes the ships, makes roadkills of their remnants, and flies past the camera so close that it blocks out the spot where Mars previously lay. (Some at the time claimed the shot was faulty because Mars disappeared...)

But Reverend's suggested course seems problematic. It was a Jupiter outpost that first reported the Cube (even though we know there are Starfleet assets at Saturn, too); and later on, we hear that the Cube has silenced the Jupiter outposts. Clearly, the route was even more scenic than Reverend suggests...

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to know one thing:
Where the fuck was Spacedock?!?

Where could it have possibly gone between STIII and TNG?
It's got to be billions of cubic tons of mass!

I'd have loved to have seen anything done with Spacedock preparing a defense against the Borg....

And yes, Andrew, "Tin Man" was on the other night.
I'd give a testicle to have seen Data strangle that sissy "Tam Elbrin" untill his little telepathic head popped clean off!
Didint see that coming did you Mr. Telepath!?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps