Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Why Wolf 359? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Why Wolf 359?
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Where could it have possibly gone between STIII and TNG?"

To the far side of the planet.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark: "Well, at "Warp point-five" the Enterprise managed to get from Earth out past Jupiter before they ran out of music."

Maybe they were trying out the new Barrel Organ Drive. Just have to keep cranking that 30-foot handle. Oompa-oompa-oom-pa-pa.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I just want to know one thing:
Where the fuck was Spacedock?!?

Risa.

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
[QBAnd yes, Andrew, "Tin Man" was on the other night.
I'd give a testicle to have seen Data strangle that sissy "Tam Elbrin" untill his little telepathic head popped clean off!
Didint see that coming did you Mr. Telepath!? [/QB]

I just thought the whole blaming Gomtuu and calling him a space-potato was funny as and very random! [Smile]

Data could have tried but Elbran would have turned into a giant snake and destroyed the school before Buffy and the Scooby gang... nm [Smile]

Oh and thanks for the laugh Eclipse... at least SOMEONE has a sense of humour around here! [Wink]

Oh and about Jupiter station - maybe it was assimilated!?! Maybe Jupiter Station we see in Voyager is relatively new?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
"Where could it have possibly gone between STIII and TNG?"

To the far side of the planet.

Uh..okay, that's the standard explanation taht we're forced to swallow, but it's conviently on the other side of the planet EVERY TIME we see Earth?
Very unlikely.
Vegas odds kinda unlikely.

Mabye they very slowly carted it off to the Saturn moon system or something after earthbound astronemers complained about the giant christmas ornament in their night sky....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We saw Spacedock in Star Trek VI.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're not forced to swallow anything, only to consider:

1) We don't see Earth that often.

2) When we do, we're usually NOT looking down from the orbital plane occupied by Spacedock.

3) Also, while Spacedock is large, planets are HUMONGOUS by comparison. I can't be arsed to do the math, but Spacedock's size relates to Earth's like, uh, a bug's to that of Mount Everest, or something.

4) But since you brought it up, the chance that you *could* spot Spacedock from a randomly chosen position in Earth orbit is roughly one BILLION times smaller than the chance you'd break a Vegas bank.

So, uh, I think its absence can be excused.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO can't be: Spacedock's a cow.
We've seen earth probably ten times since STIV and we've seen many smaller structures in orbit that are possibly mobile (drydocks, McKinley Station, etc.) but something as large as Spacedock has a huge strategic position.
Where was it when the Breen attacked Earth?
With all the improvments in security on Earth, I'm sure they would have armed Spacedock.
Look what Starfleet did to DS9!
I shudder to think what they could have done to Spacedock's weapons potential during the Dominion war.
Mabye it was armed and sent to Utopia Planetia as defense....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
Member # 256

I don't doubt Spacedock is an all-but unassailable star fortress, but you still can't radically alter the orbital trajectory of a massive & otherwise IMMOBILE station without doing some serious re-engineering (which would be impractical).

The Breen caught SF by surprise, but there's no reason to assume Spacedock wasn't instrumental in fending off the attack - if not through direct intervention then through starships that were docked there, a/w/ surface & orbital defenses.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Assuming Spacedock's orbit is geo-synchronous and is above Earth's pole (or at least extremely north of the equator), Spacedock's weapons would cover San Fransisco easily (assuming standard phasers and photons).
It's possible the Breen snuck in from under the plane ecliptic, entered Earth's upper atmosphere and attacked San Fran.
That way Spacedock could not fire on the Breen ships without stray fire nailing the city they were defending.
Might work. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC my orbital mechanics, if the orbit is geosynchronous - the station has to hang over the equator - or do a 'figure 8' passing the equator.

Space is big. Really really big.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At geosync, Earth would be a rather large dot. For whatever reason, Spacedock is always seen orbiting at "only" a few thousand kilometers at most. Even then, with spacedock being 5-6km tall at most, it will STILL be tiny compared to a planet that is about 40 000 km in circumference.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
maybe it crashed into Jupiter station

who gives a shit..

BTW, i agree with the current consensus.. most TNG era shots of Earth dont give us enough aspect to truly see everything in orbit, and those that do the station would either be tiny or maybe on the opposite side.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:

But Reverend's suggested course seems problematic. It was a Jupiter outpost that first reported the Cube (even though we know there are Starfleet assets at Saturn, too); and later on, we hear that the Cube has silenced the Jupiter outposts. Clearly, the route was even more scenic than Reverend suggests...

Timo Saloniemi

If you look at my newest thread over at D&C, you'll se a graphic that I've based on that trajectory.
As you can see I've put the Jupiter outpost in line with Jupiter's orbit --don't ask me how it avoids Jupiter itself, maybe some kind of drive system keeps the outpost in the same reletive position-- so as the cube travels between Saturn and Mars it encounters the outpost without actually visiting the planet itself.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Who gives a shit about Trek, Borg flight trajectory in the Sol system, Spacedock disapearing or my incorrect use of the term "geosynchronous"?

The term I should have used was "Stationary orbit".
(it's been a looong night, forgive me)

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scenes of Spacedock have all had Earth look big, behind it, so it HAS to be in a low orbit. Kinda like the ISS is today. Yes, it's huge, but when you get just a few miles from it, it would dissapear into a dot, let alone, a few hundred miles around an orbit with a circumferance of about 30,000 miles. Who knows, starship parking orbits might even be closer then spacedock, so when we see Earth, with a ship in orbit, Spacedock might be behind us...

Anywhy, the real question is, why Wolf 359, which is pretty-much opposite the logical aproach of the Boarg. I like the 'hunting for Picard' answer.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps