Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Why Wolf 359? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Why Wolf 359?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if you look at the Starcharts book, the BoBW borg attack actually comes from close to the Romulan border, which is consistant with the position of the Wolf system.
Although it is in the "southern" area of the border, close to Klingon space.

Perhaps the Borg took advantage of the apparant absence of both Federation and Romulan activity and simply traveled "down" the neutral zone.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Oh and about Jupiter station - maybe it was assimilated!?! Maybe Jupiter Station we see in Voyager is relatively new?

Uh... No. It was a Jupiter Outpost... number 92 I think, or something like that. And the Jupiter Station in "Lifeline" is very old from what the episode implies because Dr. Zimmerman has been working there for many years.

And you're all forgetting something [and I haven't checked this either so I'm no authority either]. The chances are extremely rare that Saturn, Jupiter, and Mars will be near alignment at any point in time. While the flight path of the Borg *MUST* go near Mars [because we saw it] it does not have to go anywhere near Jupiter or Saturn. Saturn wasn't even mentioned and could be on the other side of the solar system [someone can research that]... and the same can be true for Jupiter. All we know concerning Jupiter is that Jupiter Outpost #Something was the first to spot the Borg--- with so many outposts [one would think if it had a number higher than 1, there is more than 1!] they might simply all be spread out over Jupiter's orbit.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um.. thats not true.

the cube enters the Sol System, it is clearly shown passing Saturn.

after the commercial break, Shelby reports Jupiter Outpost 92 made visual contact.. and that they didnt expect defenses to be effective.. theres no mention of any Borg attack on anything, only that defenses were failing to halt the advance.. theres also no mention that the outpost is necesarily on or in orbit of Jupiter

then, Mars is shown, and the drones are destroyed.. the Borg are not shown passing Mars closely, and it isnt mentioned if they stopped to assault the planet or any stations.. but its assumed the Borg are making a beeline towards Earth and arent assimilating other stuff in the Sol System..

(after this, the 1701-D is shown dropping out of warp next to Saturn)

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

EvilTree
Member # 1027

- posted      Profile for EvilTree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you guys ever thought that the writers of this particular ep probably didn't think of Borg flight path?
That they might have just picked out system names out of random? [Smile]

--------------------
Loyalty, Vigilance, Excellence
-Motto of Imperial Space Marines

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, buh. It's rationalizing this stuff that lets many Trek fans live.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...or die young as a result of ulcers. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
...or die young as a result of ulcers. [Big Grin]

Bah, I'm sure that if we weren't doing Trek, we'd be doing something else equally pointless and life-shortening.

Hmmm.... Shortening.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
...after the commercial break, Shelby reports Jupiter Outpost 92 made visual contact.. and that they didnt expect defenses to be effective.. theres no mention of any Borg attack on anything, only that defenses were failing to halt the advance.. theres also no mention that the outpost is necesarily on or in orbit of Jupiter

Exactly! There's no reason to assume that Jupiter Station has to be in orbit around Jupiter itself. It could very easily be a station that moves along Jupiter's orbit, possibly at a L4 or L5 Lagrange Point.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Templar:
Bah, I'm sure that if we weren't doing Trek, we'd be doing something else equally pointless and life-shortening.

Hmmm.... Shortening.

Shortening? pointless? "Circumcisions for the fun of it!" !?! "There's a store near you!" [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, shortening? Shortening, shortening, shoooorteeeniiiiing. Shortening. Word has lost all meaning.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't "shorten" a short of a shrine for the Sherpa?

Timo Shaloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if we're going by the visual effects, then the Borg clearly weren't heading straight towards Earth anyway. When the cube is shown passing Saturn, the planet it lit off to one side. If the cube was passing Saturn on the way directly towards Earth, then the back of the planet (the part we were looking at) should have been completely in shadow.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that it was scouring the system for any possible resistance?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That or shortening....

[Big Grin]

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Well, if we're going by the visual effects, then the Borg clearly weren't heading straight towards Earth anyway. When the cube is shown passing Saturn, the planet it lit off to one side. If the cube was passing Saturn on the way directly towards Earth, then the back of the planet (the part we were looking at) should have been completely in shadow.

Okay, so they filmed it LEAVING Earth and played it backwards....

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps