Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » More than 3 runabouts docked at DS9 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: More than 3 runabouts docked at DS9
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Only the Rio Grande survives the series.
It was Sisko's runabout in the pilot episode so mabye it's good luck or blessed by the Prophets or something...

Indeed. I've always thought that the Rio Grande may very well be blessed or somehow protected by the Prophets. The fact that it was the first ship to discover the Temple of the Prophets must hold some significance.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Only the Rio Grande survives the series.
It was Sisko's runabout in the pilot episode so mabye it's good luck or blessed by the Prophets or something...

Indeed. I've always thought that the Rio Grande may very well be blessed or somehow protected by the Prophets. The fact that it was the first ship to discover the Temple of the Prophets must hold some significance.
...or it's that the special effects dept. didn't want to go to the trouble of relabeling the shooting miniature, so by default the Rio Grande was destined to be around forever...

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the same stock footage has stood in for almost all the runabouts, so...

Perhaps it lies in the marketing department more than anything else - can't sell little toys or models of a ship from a current show if it's all blown up. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

o2
Member # 907

- posted      Profile for o2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While watching the "The Die is Cast" episode, I was wondering if there was any on-screen evidence for the destruction of the Mekong.

Ok, a runabout was lost to the Dominion, but was it really the Mekong?

Was there any mentioning of the runabout's name in the dialog of "The Die is Cast" or "Improbable Cause"?

Is it save to say that the Mekong was lost due to the fact that its name was never mentioned again in later episodes?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Perhaps it lies in the marketing department more than anything else - can't sell little toys or models of a ship from a current show if it's all blown up. [Wink]

Maybe, except my recollection of the AMT model was that it had three sets of labels, one for Rio Grande, one for Ganges, and one for Yangtzee Kien (however that was spelt). And we all know what happened to the other two.

And this is a good time as any, but what is the correct way to pronouce Rio Grande? I always thought you said the "e" at the end, as in "Rio Grand-eh", but apart from Nog in one episode, all the characters say "Rio Grand". Are they right? Is this a silly American corruption? What? What?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's pronounced "Grand". It's a funky Texas thing.

And it was the Yangtzee Kiang, I think.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Maybe, except my recollection of the AMT model was that it had three sets of labels, one for Rio Grande, one for Ganges, and one for Yangtzee Kien (however that was spelt). And we all know what happened to the other two.
Yeah, the AMT kit provided the three original names for decals. Also, in the late 90s AMT released the USS Yamaguchi...about the most obscure starship model Trek ever had. Many people didn't know that Yamaguchi was the Wolf 359 Ambassador Class. It was never mentioned in the show, it was only behind-the-scenes info that revealed it's origin. Those models still sold.

--------------------
Stephen L.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
quote:
Yeah, the AMT kit provided the three original names for decals. Also, in the late 90s AMT released the USS Yamaguchi...about the most obscure starship model Trek ever had. Many people didn't know that Yamaguchi was the Wolf 359 Ambassador Class. It was never mentioned in the show, it was only behind-the-scenes info that revealed it's origin. Those models still sold.
I thought the Yamaguchi was different decals and mod parts included with the Enterprise C kit, and not a separate kit.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there were two releases, one was the Enterprise-C with extra pieces for the variant and the other was a fibre optics one with Yamaguchi and Excalibur decals. Something like that. I bought the non-fibre optic one and it had the second shuttlebay and some extra lifeboats. I don't think it would have made a proper variant though, because there was only the Ent-C style secondary hull.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Yamaguci was a mod on the Enterprise C mold but it was only released as a fiber optic kit in clear (blue-sih) plastic.
The kit runs about $65 on ebay at any given time, although all the mods can be bought seperately (thanks to the thoughtful garage industry) to upgrade the "C" into the newer refit.

At least the kit is accurate! The STTM made a horrible jumble of the Abassador schematics.
I've to a ton of Ambassador refit pics if anyone needs them. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

Phlox is right. The Yamaguchi was a separate release with Excalibur decals. The only difference with the Ent-C kit and the Yamaguchi kit was the deflector piece. (and the fact that the Yamaguchi had a lighting kit and was cast in clear plastic.)

--------------------
Stephen L.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't the placement of both the nacelles and the saucer different on the Yamaguchi kit? I know they're not accurate for the E-C kit.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps