Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » First Contact Ships Sixteen Designs (Page 6)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: First Contact Ships Sixteen Designs
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A waste disposal hatch which was put there by accident. This is why all Sabers needed to be refitted with signs "Do not flush the toilet while in spacedock."

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ewwwww.....is that why it's called "the poop deck?

You got any updates to your fleet charts on the way?
I'd love to see the Nemesis ships added to the large chart.
....and theres tons of aliens to be added.
It's why I started visiting your site after all. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Micromaniac
Member # 546

- posted      Profile for Micromaniac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the thread I posted several years ago about the 16 designs from First Contact- - from it we can add the 4 engined Steamrunner ( mentioned but no pics/sketches and the alternate Steamrunner design and the Goodson so that leaves 4unaccouned for.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Mr. Eaves. [Wink]

My only issue is that all his big bad alien designs seem to look alike (i.e. semi-flattened Marauders with curvy nacelles and excessive greeblies). Jaeger Starfleet ships were at least variable.

Can't nobody beat no Probert & Sternbach, though. Oh helllll no.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In terms of thought and real-world reasoning put into starships, P & S rule the roost indeed. Just look at the care being put into Probert's new/old Ambassador design, and Sternbach's (diminishing but still very cool) memories of his work on TNG and especially Voyager. It puts most of the "modern" CG art stuff to shame, as IMO the shortcuts taken have allowed too many mistakes to happen due to sloppy storage of the models and lack of time to examine them - for example, all the mis-labelling we've seen over years of the Galaxy-class CG model, or the Nebula, whose errors are glaringly obvious on the SOTL calendars. All the artists are extraordinarily gifted, but those errors would never have been made on the old models, where you ironically wouldn't even SEE the names.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed Mark!! Agreed Guardian!!

P & S models - amazing... they take time to invest the concept of the design evolution of different species starship design...

I mean look at the creation of the Vor'Cha - I love it - has a bit of a back story - like it's a little lighter green, the nacelles etc - because of the coming together of the Federation and the Klingon Empire.

The Cardassian Galor Class Warships... the top 'saucer' can eject - copied from the Federation through espionage etc.

What was that concept they used for the designs of the Enterprise "technology unchained".

The Enterprise E might look nice but it's such a radical departure from it's immediate forebares - the Galaxy and the Intrepid.

Things are put on those ships etc. for a reason. Even though I'm not a huge fan of them - the Voyager nacelles that is - they were made smaller because it was thought Federation technology advances resulted in a more compact nacelle for the same warp speeds.

At least the Prometheus had nice design elements from the Galaxy, Intrepid and Sovereign class starships. And the Nova class. That was the Equinox/Rhode Island's class wasn't it? That had design elements of The Galaxy, The Intrepid, The Sovereign AND the Defiant classes.

The Jaeger ships annoyed me a little because they were such a complete departure from established starship appearances and then they gave them the lower registry numbers.

At least the Norway had some design links between the Intrepid and I guess the Akira (but that came out at the same time).

The Steamrunner is probably the most jarring of those ships. Couldn't they have put some older features on the ship like square lifeboats etc?

That's just getting picky though! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I dont know- I think the designers need an occasional kick in the pants every now and then- both Jaeger and Eaves are good at that.

Sternbach is a great artist, but I doubt he could have made such menacing ships as Eaves made for the Dominion, nor the eye-candy of the First Contact ships (who's secondary purpose was not to look like the Enterprise/Galaxy and confuse the general audience).

I think designers get stuck on the 'ol "saucer-and-nacelle-plus blob" makes a starship guideline and we get (at most) a re-arrangment of parts in various scales to represent new ship classes instead of innovative ideas.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The Jaeger ships annoyed me a little because they were such a complete departure from established starship appearances and then they gave them the lower registry numbers.
I think that this was a mistake on the VFX guys' part, kinda like their goof-up on the Prometheus' registry. I think they thought that new ships were supposed to have registries of 5XXXX or 6XXXX, and didn't realize that those regos were actually for older ships.
Ahkileez
Member # 734

- posted      Profile for Ahkileez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd give my left nostril for some new info on the Akira.

There *must* have been a bunch of unreleased sketches and stuff right? I know Jaeger put up a couple more concept pics of the Akira on his site that I hadn't seen anywhere else. But that's all.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.