Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9-- USS Odyssey Bridge, possible explaination (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: DS9-- USS Odyssey Bridge, possible explaination
Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently re-watched the DS9 season two finale, "The Jem'hadar." While watching, I remembered how disappointed I was to see that the Odyssey's bridge looked nothing like the Enterprise-D's. Even the Yamato, featured in two episodes of TNG, had a bridge similar to the Big E-D.

Then, I thought about modern naval warfare. It is rare nowadays for captains to command battles from the bridge of the ship. The bridge is mearly where the captain drives the ship. Battles, however, are commanded from CIC, or Combat Information Center, which is designed somewhat like a Trek bridge with the captain positioned in the center of the room. It is also located at the very center of the ship in the most secure area.

The Odyssey's captain could've been commanding the battle from the battle bridge, which with the saucer intact (as it was in the episode) would be in the very center, most secure area of the ship. It would also be fitting with the captain's personality-- he seemed very caught up in the trappings of militarism.

Of course, the simple explaination-- I am invoking Occum's Razor-- is that the TNG was probably using the bridge set at the scheduled time. Thus, forcing the DS9 crew to redress the generic TMP/TNG Battle bridge/E-C/Saratoga bridge set.

Discuss.

M.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Discussed. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured. I realize it isn't the most original explanation. Sean Robertson made the same assumption in regards to the appearance to the E-C bridge in "Yesterday's Enterprise" at 3D gladiators. He proceeded to design a bridge that was a bridge between TNG and Trek V/VI.

M.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not heard this explanation yet... but I like it. Consider it now officially assumed on my part.

I'm sure everyone will sleep easier.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since Rick Sternbach added the replaceable bridge module to Treknology canon to explain the differences in bridge layout between Trek IV and Trek V. Keogh could very well have been commanding the ship from the main bridge and not the battle bridge or auxiliary control.

The shipyard might have had extra battle bridges/auxiliary control modules lying about when they built or refit the Odysssey and didn't want to go through the time and expense of fashioning a new Ent-D style bridge. [Wink]

But seriously, if you look at the ships of the US Navy you will realize that ships of the same class may have differences in some ship systems. For example, later members of the Ticonderoga-class have different missle launch systems and magazine arrangements. I am sure that there are countless other examples in US Navy and other navies of differences in certain systems among ships belonging to the same class.

I agree with you that the producers probably just used the battle bridge set to save money or resolve a set scheduling conflict. I think its fine that the producers did this, because the Odyssey bridge has such little screen time it wasn't necessary to design and build yet another bridge set. The producers wisely spent their limited budget on new makeup, models, and special effects for this episode.

It was quite shocking to see a Jem'Hadar attack ship make a suicide run and destroy a Galaxy-class starship for the first time. I think that my initial shock was due to the high quality of the special effects in this episode. The Odyssey came to violent and very fiery end. [Eek!]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the Odddy's bridge just fine.
Better than the giant doctor's waiting room that is the Enterprise D's bridge. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we're talking about an ep made back in 1994, when they were busy filming "All Good Things. . ." with about three different redresses of the bridge set. Then going straight into shooting Generations which featured yet another redress of the bridge, culminating in it getting trashed, then broken down to start building the Voyager sets. I wouldn't be surprised if the DS9 production staff couldn't get a look in.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, isn't it also possible that the Odyssey was being commanded from its Battle Bridge? Not every Captain would necessarily stay in the main bridge, especially if they anticipated any need to do a saucer sep.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

That brings us to one of Andy Probert's suggestions for TNG-- that the brigde be in the center of the vessel.

In one early production drawing he placed the main bridge in the same location that eventually went to the battle bridge. That way the Captain would never have to leave the bridge if the saucer seperated. One of the official Trek mags published the drawing. Alas, I cannot find that paticular issue.

M.

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
Sean Robertson ... proceeded to design a bridge that was a bridge between TNG and Trek V/VI.

I couldn't find it in 3D Gladiators ST section [Frown]

Do you have a link for it?

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

quote:
Originally posted by Jim NCC1701A:
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
Sean Robertson ... proceeded to design a bridge that was a bridge between TNG and Trek V/VI.

I couldn't find it in 3D Gladiators ST section [Frown]

Do you have a link for it?

It was awhile back. Don't remember around when. Mea Culpa.

M.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess if something comes close to a CIC it is main engineering. They used it more than once on TNG as a secondary command center when they didn't have access to the bridge.
Keogh said, IIRC, that he left most of the crew on DS9 before departing for the Gamma Quadrant. It would only be logical to use the more efficient battle bridge of the ship if you expect a fight. Furthermore, Keogh's plan could have been a seperation of the ship, he just didn't have time anymore.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
[QB]Keogh said, IIRC, that he left most of the crew on DS9 before departing for the Gamma Quadrant.[QB]

I seem to remember that Dax suggested that he do this, and he indicated that it was unnecessary.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, he said it was a very good idea and asked if she'd ever thought about serving on a starship. [Wink]

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He didn't specifically say that, IIRC. What he said was more something to the effect of "mind your own business, woman!". I think he had already evacuated non-essential crew. Or perhaps he didn't have any non-essential crew left.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps