Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9-- USS Odyssey Bridge, possible explaination (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: DS9-- USS Odyssey Bridge, possible explaination
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Oddysey bridge set had the dedication plaque at the back of it. Ergo, main (or at least principally used) bridge. Ditto for the Sutherland, though most people agree in that case that it was a temporary bridge.

I see no reason this can't be the Oddysey's main bridge; Keogh could simply have wanted a cooler, or at least more spartan, main bridge reminiscent of older starships he served on. He could even have wanted to command principally from the battle bridge, modifying it into his main bridge. Not that it made a difference against the Jem'Hadar!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm... I had forgotten that the plaque was there...

I have no problem with a Galxy class bridge module that doesn't look like the Ent D's... it just looks too small to be a Galaxy class main bridge.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bear in mind that we've also seen dedication plaques located in a ready room and a random hallway.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Hmmmm... I had forgotten that the plaque was there...

I have no problem with a Galxy class bridge module that doesn't look like the Ent D's... it just looks too small to be a Galaxy class main bridge.

Why? THey might have a larger (possibly more tactically oriented) confrence room behind the bridge or mabye really big bathrooms.
...and the Ready room is immense.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Consider the Ready Room on Voyager. Humongous! And what becane the Mess Hall - that was the Captain's official dining room! So, maybe Keogh liked to have a hot tub in his office.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
And what becane the Mess Hall - that was the Captain's official dining room!

If you look at the first episode of Voyager, there was a bank of replicators along the wall opposite the windows in the Messhall. The Captain's Private Dining Room was accessible from the hallway on the other side of those replicators. It's only Neelix's kitchen area that was formerly the Captain's Dining Room, not the entire Messhall. There are occasions where you see someone enter or exit the kitchen from a doorway that leads to the hallway beyond.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, yes - but Janeway was still bonkers. Mad, stark raving. Two sectors short of a quadrant, to coin a phrase.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Yes, yes - but Janeway was still bonkers. Mad, stark raving. Two sectors short of a quadrant, to coin a phrase.

Funniest line I've heard all week. [Big Grin]

She's also a couple phaser emitters short of a full array. Couple drive coils short of a full impulse engine. Like a warp core that's running but there's no dilithium crystal. A holodeck with only Unsafety Protocals that cannot ever be turned off.

Ok, I'm done. [Razz]

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:

I see no reason this can't be the Oddysey's main bridge; Keogh could simply have wanted a cooler, or at least more spartan, main bridge reminiscent of older starships he served on. He could even have wanted to command principally from the battle bridge, modifying it into his main bridge. Not that it made a difference against the Jem'Hadar!

Mark

Despite the fact that we've, as mentioned in a previous post, seen the dedication plaque in other areas of the ship, I don't have a problem with the assumption that it could've been the main bridge. Mark's right, there's no reason it couldn't have been.

However, I do disagree with the proposition that it was Captain Keogh that choose the decor of his bridge. Captains, at least going by the naval model that Starfleet is based upon, do not get to choose the look and function of the ship's bridge. It is based on function, not style.

Perhaps, as another explaination, the mission of the Odyssey was such that a living-room style command center was not needed. Rather, a sparten, functional one was needed. No mention, if memory serves, was made of the ship's long-term mission.

It could be assumed that it was on a similar 15-year deep space mission like the "E-D" and Yamamato, but then again the "E-D" did more politicking around the known galaxy than exlporing.

Discuss.

M.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
If you look at the first episode of Voyager, there was a bank of replicators along the wall opposite the windows in the Messhall. The Captain's Private Dining Room was accessible from the hallway on the other side of those replicators. It's only Neelix's kitchen area that was formerly the Captain's Dining Room, not the entire Messhall. There are occasions where you see someone enter or exit the kitchen from a doorway that leads to the hallway beyond.

funny how the NX-01 is exactly like Voyager in that (and many other) respects.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Perhaps, as another explaination, the mission of the Odyssey was such that a living-room style command center was not needed. Rather, a sparten, functional one was needed. No mention, if memory serves, was made of the ship's long-term mission.

Discuss.

M.

It's just as possible that later Galaxy class starships did away with the giant living room as times changed and got tougher.
The Enterprise D and Yamato were two of the first GCS' made and I'm sure tweaking of interior design elements was done as the class grew and evolved.
Oddy could have been testing new technology, like that creepy holographic viewscreen from FC (okay, not as creepy as say, looking out a gaping hole in your bridge, but I digress).
Speaking of holo-tech, did we ever see holographic displays used in briefings after TNG season one?
Other than stellar cartography, that is. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:

Discuss.

M.

It's just as possible that later Galaxy class starships did away with the giant living room as times changed and got tougher.
The Enterprise D and Yamato were two of the first GCS' made and I'm sure tweaking of interior design elements was done as the class grew and evolved.
Oddy could have been testing new technology, like that creepy holographic viewscreen from FC (okay, not as creepy as say, looking out a gaping hole in your bridge, but I digress).
Speaking of holo-tech, did we ever see holographic displays used in briefings after TNG season one?
Other than stellar cartography, that is. [Wink]

True. The Odyssey could've been test running the tech eventually used in the "successor" to the Galaxy-Class-- i.e. the Sovy.

Not sure if the holo-display was used past "The Last Outpost." On that note, what happened to the holo-communicator from DS9.

M.

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
quote:
Originally posted by Jim NCC1701A:
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
Sean Robertson ... proceeded to design a bridge that was a bridge between TNG and Trek V/VI.

I couldn't find it in 3D Gladiators ST section [Frown]

Do you have a link for it?

It was awhile back. Don't remember around when. Mea Culpa.

M.

Here's a link to Sean's "storage" site, where he's got just about all of his Trek interiors and a lot of other stuff too. All good work, but you have to get through the WIPS to the finished product (a tip: the higher numbers are more finished than the lower numbers).

http://www.webolutionary.com/truespace/gallery/seanr/temp/?M=A

BTW: I remember that ep (with the Odyssey), but I don't recall ever seeing the bridge in enough detail to see the Plaque.

Anyone got good caps, or better yet, a Fact Files cutaway of the bridge?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i doubt Fact Files could touch it.. i still believe that only two or three angles of that set were filmable, i don't think FF would be ambitious enough to try and extrapolate the design of a bridge that was never built.. even though we've determined that it wasnt just a 'backdrop'.. i.e. there was a railing and a side and back, and it was possibly made of the remnants of another bridge set, i sincerely doubt that they decorated and/or lit any parts of the bridge that werent shown.. meaning that we only know a small command area, railing and two walls.. (did we even see a turbo door?) it may be left up to us to determine what the damn thing looked like, since i doubt a definitive version was there in the first place..

this being said, i think a prime candidate for its layout would be something similar to something i just found thumbing through SeanR's temp directory.. its labeled as http://www.webolutionary.com/truespace/gallery/seanr/temp/bridge_neworleans2-1.jpg and resembles what i imagine a variant Galaxy bridge might look like, without the living room atmosphere, but still with the exact same layout and function as the ED bridge.. since we have formed the opinion that the bridge differences would not be governed by whim, it must follow that the differences have more real life sources.. i.e. construction differences, supply changes, mission variation, post-shakedown enhancement and design re-envisioning.. its labeled as a New Orleans-bridge, but i could also almost imagine it on an Akira.. same time period after all [Wink]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, I just peed myself.
Fucking-in-credible.
I was going to ask why a smaller ship like a Springfield or New Orleans needed a Galaxy bridge, but that really is spot-on and makes he point moot.

....although on an Akira, I'd add the standing tactical station from the Soverign and an extra chair at the Con/Ops console.
And the furniture would be gray. [Big Grin]

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps