Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9-- USS Odyssey Bridge, possible explaination (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: DS9-- USS Odyssey Bridge, possible explaination
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remind me - was the odyssey always intended, ie scheduled, to arrive at DS9? Or did it just come there because of the Jem'Hadar threat? Because I suppose a more combat-oriented Galaxy-class ship could exist, especially post-Borg incursion. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at the Venture.
Definitely more combat-oriented (or at least capable) with the two extra nacelle phaser strips.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i dunno, i guess im wondering why here has to be a reason.. my factory Ford Probe radio has green LEDs.. my friend's factory radio from the same make and year as the car has red LEDS.. no engineering explanation, no special mission modification, just the fact that they werent built in the same time and place so there is individual modification
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're saying some ships go to "Green Alert"?

Really you're talking about availability of a single part (your LED light bulb)whereas a whole bridge change is much diffrent.....
Your idea about the ship's point of origin may be right though: Andorian shipyards might build to their own more militaristic viewpoint (within sertain guidelines).
No one said there can't be cultural and stylistic diffrences between ships of the same class.
....of course, it could be as subtle a change as gray seats and blue trim instead of red.
Does'nt explain te Venture though.
I'd think that a ship is specialized to it's intended role in the fleet: not all galaxy's would be explorers (as seen in everything after season four (ish) of TNG. [Razz]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Remind me - was the odyssey always intended, ie scheduled, to arrive at DS9? Or did it just come there because of the Jem'Hadar threat? Because I suppose a more combat-oriented Galaxy-class ship could exist, especially post-Borg incursion. . .

Beginning of episode, Sisko asks when the Odyssey was due back and Kira responds with day after tomorrow or three days or something like that. Sisko then says he's sorry to miss Dax's reunion with Keogh as he's taking the Rio Grande into the Gamma Quadrant on his "working vacation".

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

That implies that the Oddy was a regular at DS9.
I always thought there was a bit of romantic tension between Dax and Keogh in that scene.
They definitely liked each other a bit.

With DS9's key strategic position (even before the Dominion was known)Starfleet likely had the Oddy drop by while she patrolled that area of space every so often to make sure all was well.

It's always good to have a GCS within a area for backup. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
That implies that the Oddy was a regular at DS9.

I got the impression, more like: they had been there once before, perhaps having stopped by on their way to where they were going and were now simply on their way back and had plans on passing through once more/again.

quote:

It's always good to have a GCS within a area for backup. [Wink]

Consider, too, that only two or threeish episodes back ("Tribunal") the Enterprise AND Valdemar were sorta nearby, enough so to be mentioned, having a GCS and an ACS within the area making for quite a show as well (for Season 2, that is). [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sisko and Dax made a couple references to a previous encounter with Captain Keough and his ship.. i guess he and Dax didnt get along because of a prior conflict..
capped
Member # 709

probably because of letter envy.. half the letters in his name are useless!
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great Idea!!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahh, Darkstar. Gone but not forgotten. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any caps of the bridge for reference just to put a face on this topic?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

There's a good idea!
Can anyone help here?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Spike! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never fully understood why some people consider Keogh some sort of a soulmate of Jellico. To me, he came across neither as an asshole (which Jellico was to a degree) nor a warhawk (which Jellico might or might not have been - we only saw him during a military crisis, after all).

Nor would I take the Dax/Keogh banter as a sign of distrust between the two. It was mainly Kira and Sisko who thought there was "tension" between the two, and Kira has always been bad at reading Dax, and intolerant of her eccentricities.

In the end, Keogh was rather Picardian - elderly avuncular balding white male, condescending towards Sisko's people but affable with his old friends, ready to sacrifice an entire starship in the classic "stand your ground" maneuver to save a handful of people. And looking taller than he stood. Certainly his character is no reason to postulate a "military" mission for the Odyssey, whatever may be said about the bridge layout.

Why type this much on something this insignificant on a beautiful summer day? Mainly as a warning: don't read the recent "The Brave and the Bold" novels if you don't want your Keogh stereotyped the wrong way. Big letdowns, those four novellas in two books.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps