Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DS9-- USS Odyssey Bridge, possible explaination (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: DS9-- USS Odyssey Bridge, possible explaination
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, though I always thought he was more "Picardish" than anything else. Personally, I think he was the best 'guest captain' we've seen. On that note, Alan Oppenheimer (Keogh), IMHO, would have been perfect for the Admiral Ross, that is if they had written Ross more in the vein of a Gen. Patten-type commander, than the wet noodle they developed Ross into.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keough didn't come across as a gun-ho military type. He certanily wasn't a jarhead. I just felt that he had a bit more respect and understanding of the more military aspects of Starfleet-- a seasoned combat veteran, who knew how to lead a group into battle. Hence, my postulate that he commanded the ship from the battle bridge, which is much like the CIC of a modern naval vessel.

Upon reflection, he does come off a bit like Picard in the early years of TNG. But he comes off a bit more like the Picard originally envisioned for the series. The tough, hard ass commander who demands a lot from his crew and is a distant person with great intellect and passion.

M.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's in a battle bridge? Who says it has to be a CIC? I mean, the supposed meaning of a battle bridge is simply the bridge where the secondary hull of a seperable starship is controlled.

There *is* no other real explanation for why a Galaxy-class starship has one. It's alledgedly a combat-oriented bridge because they would only really use it in combat situations. The main bridge has *always* been larger, able to support more people and therefore more functions. When Jellico took over the E-D, he reconfigured the bridge stations for combat operations. It would make sense to use a larger command centre than to simply go downstairs for a smaller room.

The *only* times we've seen the Battle Bridge live or mentioned is when they were going to separate. Hell, in shows where they COULD have gone to the BB, they went to Engineering instead ("Brothers", for one, although it's intrinsically cheaper to use the Engineering set than to tread out the BB set again) and ran the ship from there.

No, I'm thinking the Odyssey bridge is just that. Aside from the fact that the dedication plaque is there, I'm guessing it's just a different than the typical bridge as a simple upgrade, despite it looking less like the typical GCS sets we were familiar with. And riddle me this - if you think about it, it's not like the Odyssey bridge is LESS featured than the Enterprise edition. Both feature forward con/ops consoles, a tactical horseshoe, and aft stations. The Odyssey actually had one more aft station than the Enterprise, and they were larger. The only thing the Odyssey probably didn't have was five chairs in the command area - it had two, and probably three, with two non-CO chairs slightly behind Keogh.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fitting Keogh's ego! [Smile]

As for the sitution in Brothers - maybe Data locked out the Battle Bridge as well... would have been nice to see it again.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Remind me - was the odyssey always intended, ie scheduled, to arrive at DS9? Or did it just come there because of the Jem'Hadar threat? Because I suppose a more combat-oriented Galaxy-class ship could exist, especially post-Borg incursion. . .

I don't know - but maybe Starfleet wasn't expeting the war-like response of the Jem'Hadar - I guess they wanted the best all-rounder ship to deal with the new and important First Contact situation.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You seem to forget the Jem'Hadars' "bigger teeth" reference....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
What's in a battle bridge? Who says it has to be a CIC? I mean, the supposed meaning of a battle bridge is simply the bridge where the secondary hull of a seperable starship is controlled.

There *is* no other real explanation for why a Galaxy-class starship has one. It's alledgedly a combat-oriented bridge because they would only really use it in combat situations. The main bridge has *always* been larger, able to support more people and therefore more functions. When Jellico took over the E-D, he reconfigured the bridge stations for combat operations. It would make sense to use a larger command centre than to simply go downstairs for a smaller room.

The *only* times we've seen the Battle Bridge live or mentioned is when they were going to separate. Hell, in shows where they COULD have gone to the BB, they went to Engineering instead ("Brothers", for one, although it's intrinsically cheaper to use the Engineering set than to tread out the BB set again) and ran the ship from there.

No, I'm thinking the Odyssey bridge is just that. Aside from the fact that the dedication plaque is there, I'm guessing it's just a different than the typical bridge as a simple upgrade, despite it looking less like the typical GCS sets we were familiar with. And riddle me this - if you think about it, it's not like the Odyssey bridge is LESS featured than the Enterprise edition. Both feature forward con/ops consoles, a tactical horseshoe, and aft stations. The Odyssey actually had one more aft station than the Enterprise, and they were larger. The only thing the Odyssey probably didn't have was five chairs in the command area - it had two, and probably three, with two non-CO chairs slightly behind Keogh.

Mark

Wo, doggies, there, Mark. You misunderstand. I akin the battle bridge in being like CIC on a modern naval warship location-wise. Perhaps, I misspoke... er, mistyped. Nor am I stating as fact that it is the Odyssey's battle bridge seen in the episode. I am offering it up as a possible explaination.

I am quite willing to accept that it could also be the main bridge, as well. Both have merits to be argued.

Agreed there is no "real" explaination for the battle bridge other than the fact that it is by logic a bridge meant for battle.

Captain Picard's log entry from EaF states that he has transfered command to the battle bridge, where the stardrive section can confront the mystery while the saucer section takes the families to safety.

It is suggested by that first introduction to the battle bridge that it is SOP (standard operating procedure) for a Galaxy-class to seperate in times of combat so that families can seek refuge. Now, in the Odyssey's case this was not necessary as suggested by Dax's line of "you are planning to evacuate any none essential personnel to DS9."

Seperation in times of combat as SOP is also suggested by "Aresnal of Freedom," where Geordi and the engineer of the week argue on whether or not to seperate.

The real reason it was not seen more (Occum's razor once again) is that the six-foot model was the only one that could seperate and was essentially abandoned after the four-foot model was built in year 3 of TNG. The four-foot model also doubled as the Odyssey in "The Jem'hadar."

M.

[ July 16, 2003, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Middy Seafort ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention the secondary hull looks really goofy alone.
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
CIC on a modern naval warship location-wise.

Actually, "on a modern US naval warship".

The Royal Navy calls it the "Operations Room", for example.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Not to mention the secondary hull looks really goofy alone.

I think it looks cool - and is something we DEFINATELY should have seen during the Dominion War.

--------------------

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? Why lose about 50% of the phaser emitters, plus who knows what else? It's not as if any Galaxys we saw during the war were going to have families on board.
Middy Seafort
Member # 951

quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
CIC on a modern naval warship location-wise.

Actually, "on a modern US naval warship".

The Royal Navy calls it the "Operations Room", for example.

Cool. I didn't know the official RN name for it.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Why? Why lose about 50% of the phaser emitters, plus who knows what else? It's not as if any Galaxys we saw during the war were going to have families on board.

Lots of empty space - more efficient warp field/impulse maneuvring.

--------------------

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That and we could have seen the separated saucer as well, both in combat but acting independently of each other. You get to have additional ships to fight with.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Riker once said that he *didn't* want to separate because they could use the power from the saucer's impulse engines - probably for weapons, but possibly also for maneuverability (can anyone quote the line from BOBW Part One?). Later GCS appearances always show those engines lit - simple physics shows that the location of those engines would make yaw turns a heck of a lot easier. They were probably using it for extra acceleration and maneuverability - seven years of TNG amply proved that one engine was enough for speed, after all.

Then, we have the "Sternbach Galaxies" that left spacedock mostly empty and loaded with extra weapons, consisting most likely of additional torpedoes or phaser capacitors or tactical sensors or similar doomahickers that didn't break the profile. Also, most of the Galaxies seen in the Dominion War had no name or registries (which Sternbach attributed to these patch jobs). It's also entirely possible that these starships didn't have full bridge modules installed and relied on some BB module in the middle of the ship. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps