Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Refit Enterprise according to Andy Probert (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Refit Enterprise according to Andy Probert
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and as to the TMP ship's missing red pinstriping...just look at the cover of Shane's Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise...there it is! Not obtrusive or gaudy at all.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:
Neatest Flare Member, hands down.

Video Games! Hollywood!

You are what I want to be when I grow up.

Hahaha...I thought everyone here wanted to be Mojo!

I've been lucky enough to meet and or speak with a number of people involved in Treks of various sorts, being friends with Andy, having written one of (if not the first) first interviews with Ronald D. Moore (for the official ST:TNG Magazine back in 1989), having gotten a personal tour of the TNG art dept. by Mike Okuda, and having talked Rick Sternbach into coughing up actual DS9 production blueprints for the team doing the Sega DS9 game. I also had a really nice phone chat with Greg Jein back around 1996 or something where he told me of evil plans he had to slip one of his Flesh Gordon Flying Phalluses into a spaceship graveyeard scene in Trek (I suggested it be the USS John Thomas). I even had a long chat with Ron Roman, originator of what became the TNG episode, "Booby Trap", and heard his take on what he'd written and how it differed from the final episode.

As to Andy's stuff, as I said elsewhere, I'm talking to him about really grilling him over a series of conversations and emails to make a massive �ber interview in which we'd discuss all the stuff that gets left out of the typical interviews (that always ask the same ten questions). For instance, last night I asked him things like how he survived the transition from the Able group to Trumbull's, what he thought of Richard Taylor and Co.'s unused V'ger designs, who created the animated graphics created for TMP but not used until TWOK, and stuff like that. (Yes, I have answers to those, but I'm not tellin yet haha!) When I'm really ready to do this with him, I'll solicit additional questions from guys here to pose...but don't hold your breath...might not happen right away!

What I hope to do at some point is go over to his place and kinda go through all his stuff with him (this could take forever!) and see what was designed and not used that we're not aware of, or the stuff that was designed and built but never seen in detail (last night be told me he even created the warning labeling around the personnel hatch on top of the TMP ship and told me some of what it said).

Sorry, that went on a bit!

Sounds a bit more than an uberinterview... more like a book, which I wouldn't mind one bit at all.

M.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you go look through Andy Probert's garage MrNeutron, don't forget I live in the Los Angeles area and is willing to give a hand...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fleet-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
If you go look through Andy Probert's garage MrNeutron, don't forget I live in the Los Angeles area and is willing to give a hand...

Great, except that he doesn't live anywhere near you! [Smile]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember the painting in Star Trek: Spaceflight Chronology, the red striping was very flattering to the design. When I first saw this painting in the book in 1979, I didn't like it much because at the time I was a purist and wanted to see an accurate rendering of the model. Alas, I gave the book to a friend during a move so I cannot scan the image to share it with you all . [Frown] An instance of temporary insanity during a time in my life when I was living in a small place and was tired of triping over boxes of stuff and was about ready to take it all to a dumpster.

Mr. Neutron, thank your for sharing some of your experiences, especiallly the conversation with Greg Jein and the possible appearance of the Flesh Gordon model. [Big Grin]

I know I am pretty envious because you have been in the palaces of the mighty. Being "Mojo", or being one of his drinking buddies, wouldn't be bad either.

If you have any other stories or experiences to share, I would very much be interested in hearing them. [Big Grin] I also look forward to seeing your uber-interview with Andrew. Please let us know which publication it will be appearing in.

Out of curiousity, I would like to ask how much can artists or people involved in a "work for hire" project reveal to others after the project is completed? For example, if Andrew Probert were to share some previously unpublished art work on the Internet with us, would he get a nasty letter from the legal department at Paramount? Does Paramount still consider it to be its property even though over 24 years have passed? I imagine this would be something that was outlined in the employment contract before the artists or technicians are hired.

It was a time in my life when I was triping over boxes of stuff.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Oh, and as to the TMP ship's missing red pinstriping...just look at the cover of Shane's Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise...there it is! Not obtrusive or gaudy at all.

Only red pin-striping I can obviously see is around the RCS thrusters and the dual pin-striping around the lower portion of the primary hull, level w/the lower phaser emplacements. Looks like there might be some pin-striping along the inside of the nacelles, but if that's what it's meant to be, it's not at all obvious in that view.

However, you had mentioned it being in more places in that, such as around the edge of the bussard collector fronts, along the edge of the primary hull, leading edge of the connecting dorsal, etc... It isn't present in the MSG cover art.

Personally, I think the strip around the lower primary that's even w/the phaser emplacements is a bit gaudy. Just doesn't look right - and I've thought that for years. I'm glad that and the "warning stripes" around the bussard collector's didn't make it onto the studio model. I think she looks fine as she is right now.

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I�ve scanned in every image from Spaceflight chronology, so here�s the Constitution

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The red pinstriping is also visible in the picture of the model on page 158 of "The Art Of Star Trek". You can see it around the flux chillers on the nacelles, on the saucer rim, and (just barely) on the saucer at the level of the phaser banks. It isn't all that obvious, and would have been even less so under the lighting used for TMP.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Starship Freak:
Well, I�ve scanned in every image from Spaceflight chronology, so here�s the Constitution

Ugh. Awful rendering. Lots of incorrect details.

--------------------

TheYoshinator
Member # 1066

- posted      Profile for TheYoshinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek The Magazine... I think its the December '01 Issue. It has the original Richard Taylor schematics that David Kimble used to make the Blueprints for TMP.

This pic shows the placements of those dropped pinstripes.

Also there's a pic in Enterprise Incidents Issue 05 '84 of the Enterprise being refitted. Some of the stripping has yet to be removed on the saucer rim.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
I also look forward to seeing your uber-interview with Andrew.

Your going to interview me!?! [Wink]
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
The red pinstriping is also visible in the picture of the model on page 158 of "The Art Of Star Trek". You can see it around the flux chillers on the nacelles, on the saucer rim, and (just barely) on the saucer at the level of the phaser banks. It isn't all that obvious, and would have been even less so under the lighting used for TMP.

That's the PhaseII Enterprise, BTW. You can tell by the Bridge, B/C deck and shuttlebay doors.

Interesting that I never noticed that before. Good eyes! I think you'd likely pick up on those pinstripes more if the lighting were at standard levels, tho.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
That's the PhaseII Enterprise, BTW. You can tell by the Bridge, B/C deck and shuttlebay doors.

Sorry, no, it IS the (Magicam-built) TMP ship. The giveaways are:
--The nacelles are Richard Taylor's art-deco-ish design (more complex overlapping curves than on the Phase II model)
--The hangar deck is TMP shape (Phase II's was TOS shape)
--The Impulse engine is Andy Probert's design (Phase II model had TOS type)
--Rec Deck Windows
--Proportion of saucer (larger on TMP ship)
--The Officer's Lounge windows were Andy Probert's concept and didn't exist on the Phase II model
--The TMP Aztec panel paint job

As to the superstructure, remember, the ship was built first with a Phase II-ish superstructure (Bridge and top decks), which Andy Probert then redesigned when they decided to make the ship self lit.

(I asked Andy about the Phase II model and he said he'd never seen it in person, just photos.)

Looking at that pic, though, I have to say I'm in the pro-pinstripe camp.

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Triton:

Out of curiousity, I would like to ask how much can artists or people involved in a "work for hire" project reveal to others after the project is completed? For example, if Andrew Probert were to share some previously unpublished art work on the Internet with us, would he get a nasty letter from the legal department at Paramount? Does Paramount still consider it to be its property even though over 24 years have passed? I imagine this would be something that was outlined in the employment contract before the artists or technicians are hired.

Well, the line gets crossed if you amass too much material in one place for pay. For instance, Andy could put togther a book for his work, but if it was mostly Star Trek stuff it could be seen as infringing on Paramount's rights. It's kind of a gray area. If it had equal amounts from many different films, no one would bat an eye (see Syd Mead's many sketchbooks).

Releasing stuff like that into the public domain is probably less of an issue.

--------------------

Triton
Member # 1043

- posted      Profile for Triton         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Mr. Neutron for your response. [Big Grin] I thought that you would be a good person to ask because you have had personal experience with the legal department at Paramount. I guess its always a question of how likely are they going to sue and if they think that you are depriving the Pocket Books division of revenue.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.