Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Armerment of a Dominion Battleship (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Armerment of a Dominion Battleship
Valiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know the type of weapons a Dominion Battleship uses. I'm refering to the ship which destroyed the USS Valiant. I recalled is used white glowing pulses/torpedeos although I can't remember a name for them.

If there isn't anything canon or backstage do you have any theories as to what they are?

IP: Logged
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
phased polaron beam weapons are what is listed in the DS9 TM... but it also says there are probably other weapons--- which I'm sure there are

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

me@webj.cjb.net
http://webj.cjb.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always just called them "phased polaron pulse cannons," the same type of weapon as the beam weapons they use. Kinda like the Defiant has the pulse phasers to match the more standard beam phasers...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything is better when its phased or pulsed, isn't it? [Wink]

The next Dominion weapons upgrade would be what? multiphasic phased polaron pulse cannons?
subspace phased polaron pulse cannons?
phased polaron pulse cannons extreme?

Heh.

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phased Super Gundam Polaran Pulse Canon's!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure that both the heavy cruiser and battleship would also carry the type of torpedo that breeched the Defiant's hull (ep. name eludes me, but Quark and a Kerrama guy have to disarm it: it has a crystal cylinder for a detoanator).

Notice that the Dominion have no intermedeate sized ships? It's either small attack ships(90ish meters) or huge cruisers (between 650-700 meters) and the obscenely large battleships (1500 meters or thereabouts).
While it's by no means canon, you should check out the Jemmie Light Cruiser made for the Dominion Wars PC game.
The game sucks but looks amazing and has several great and -sucky- original starship designs for the Dominion, Cardassian and Federation.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I'm sure that both the heavy cruiser and battleship would also carry the type of torpedo that breeched the Defiant's hull (ep. name eludes me, but Quark and a Kerrama guy have to disarm it: it has a crystal cylinder for a detoanator).

"Starship Down"
They were simply called "torpedos", of a variety sold to the Jem'Hadar by the Karemma. However, there was no mention of a "crystal cylinder for a detonator"...just about the 2 diodes it had, one of which was responsible for deactiving it. At least that is what I gathered from the FF version of the ep I watched. [Big Grin]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
Everything is better when its phased or pulsed, isn't it? [Wink]

The next Dominion weapons upgrade would be what? multiphasic phased polaron pulse cannons?
subspace phased polaron pulse cannons?
phased polaron pulse cannons extreme?

Heh.

You forgot adding "iso-" to everything. Isophased Isopolaron Isopulse Isocannons anyone?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Notice that the Dominion have no intermedeate sized ships? It's either small attack ships(90ish meters) or huge cruisers (between 650-700 meters) and the obscenely large battleships (1500 meters or thereabouts).

I tend to think that the Jem'Hadar ended up with a pretty good range of ships. They had the small warship, medium/large battlecruiser, and gigantic battleship. They never really needed a light/medium cruiser because it would've just ended up serving the same purpose as the existing battlecruiser.

The thing that gets me is that the Romulans never seemed to have a medium sized cruiser during the entire TNG/DS9 era. In fact, they exclusively used D'deridexes during DS9. That'd be like if the Jem'Hadar only used their "Valiant" battleship. Silly really.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Dominion also had those ~5000m UBER dreadnoughts from WYLB (externally identical to the Valiant battleship, but an order of magnitude larger)... I'd say the J'H are fairly well represented on the battlefield. B)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We'll, if we're going to count that, then we should also count the weird varients of the larger ships. Uh, the ones bigger than the small ones, but smaller than the big ones.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO 5000 meter long battlleship.
Nope.
Didint happen.....
See Bernd's site for the lowdown.
1500 meters aprox...and that is it.

The sanity of the world and several pages of bandwidth are counting on us to drop this line of debate now.,,,,before it's too late. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The world is already insane. A little extra madness won't hurt. Much. B)

Anyway, I just make a personal distinction between scenes in which ships are intentionally scaled up to suggest the existence of a MOTHAR OF GODZLILA derivative design (the BoPs from The Defector, the WYLB dreadnoughts, and, uh, the Negh'var from Shattered Mirror) and scenes where size discrepancies are the result of sloppy FX, people not doing their research, or both.

And yeah, I KNOW it's unfeasible from an engineering POV, but there you go.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartmaniac:
Anyway, I just make a personal distinction between scenes in which ships are intentionally scaled up to suggest the existence of a MOTHAR OF GODZLILA derivative design (the BoPs from The Defector, the WYLB dreadnoughts, and, uh, the Negh'var from Shattered Mirror) and scenes where size discrepancies are the result of sloppy FX, people not doing their research, or both.

One of the guys who used to work on the VFX during TNG admitted to me in one of our emails that the ginomous BoPs in "Defector" was an error in production. That was a relatively heavy VFX laden episode, and apparently they were overworked, and that's why the scaling error occured -- it wasn't intentional.

The massive "Shattered Mirror"/"Emperors New Cloak" Negh'var is likely intentional. No real problem though since it's the Mirror Universe.

It's hard to say whether or not the "WYLB" battleships are meant to really be that big or if it's a VFX error. The only real problem is the battlecruisers flying in front but, if those battlecruisers were really attack bugs at that size, we wouldn't have a problem. Maybe the VFX team were stupid enough to get the two CG models mixed up -- it's not entirely unlikely.

When all's said and done, there are examples of ship scaling that's impossible to ignore i.e. the Hideki in "Tacking into the Wind" and the Kazon raider/shuttle.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was the smaller, V-winged Dominion cruiser, the one that chased that runabout in one of the first Dominion eps.
It was about 385 meters, according to Daryus Aden.

The weapons the battleship used on the Valiant were homing weapons, thus they couldn't have been energy discharges.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.