Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Timo's Hitchhiker's Guide to the UFP Starfleet (Page 5)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Timo's Hitchhiker's Guide to the UFP Starfleet
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah. I'm pondering naming the sigint variant of Renaissance the Baracus subclass, although it's a very different vehicle from the Mark/Mojo large cruiser...

Did you two ever find out who did what in the Great Kitbashing Frenzy?

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas no - Mojo just got requested materials from Paramount, which was basically pictures.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once more unto the bump...

The first "completed" version of the Guide is now here, with most of the typos hunted down, italics added for shipnames, (nearly) all the mass figures finally in place, tables-of-content updated, etc.

Things still lacking:

-Adjusting the pre-TOS era to fit ENT.
-Finding some facts about the Almeida cruiser/transport, one of the very few "fanon" ships from the late 22nd century.
-Ships to fill the 2360-70 timeframe. Do we really only have four (Bradbury, Intrepid, probably Sovereign and Sequoia)? Going by chronological registries, even the DS9 kitbashes don't fit this timeframe.
-Art.

Timo Saloniemi

[ October 30, 2003, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Timo ]

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Howabout some placeholder art? Even stuff borrowed from shipschematics.net - it'd help with us critics to have a better guide to whatever ships you're talking about.

As for ships in the 2360-70 timeframe, I'm comfy with there being a relatively small number of new classes in that time.. After all, it was a pretty peaceful time with few major conflicts...

Still, if you're looking for more fanon designs for that period, I'm sure people like Bernd, Red, Jason and/or the ASDB gang can come up with something. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an exceptionally bad 'concept sketch' of the Kirsanov... Here

Thus providing definitive proof that I cannot draw. It isn't helped by my scanner...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Timo
Member # 245

Looks perfectly good to me. This is after the ship encountered six pissed-off K'teremny cruisers, escaped through a black hole, and was sat on by Dionysos, Apollo's slightly obese divine friend? [Big Grin]

I haven't added placeholder pics for the simple reason that the compressed file then wouldn't fit on a single diskette... I'll have to start thinking of graphics now.

For those who wonder what the "Deneb class" ships of Diane Duane fame would look like, I just happened to download this for an unrelated reason. An old doodle I updated - but I haven't updated the relevant Guide entry to be a perfect match yet. The dimensions are a bit wonky, but this is essentially 530 meters long.

Timo Saloniemi

cptmkb
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for cptmkb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
which Deneb class is that?.. i remember the Inaieu and sister ships from Romulan Way and My Enemy, My Ally .. but they were clearly referred to asDefender-class starships, of Denebian construction

and trying to imagine the design in the arena of TV and Movie era ships gave me a headache. Duane specified a half mile or mile wide saucer didnt she?

[ October 30, 2003, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Capped in Mic ]

--------------------
"C'mon, tightly hold your hand / Take a deep breath, give them the finger / Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?" - Our Lady Peace, One Man Army

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Looks perfectly good to me. This is after the ship encountered six pissed-off K'teremny cruisers, escaped through a black hole, and was sat on by Dionysos, Apollo's slightly obese divine friend?

Actually, I think it was seven K'teremny cruisers... [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Timo
Member # 245

For the Deneb class mess, read the Guide. [Smile]

Essentially, Duane herself was of two minds about those ships. In "My Enemy, My Ally", the Inaieu was a Denebian Defender-class destroyer, one out of two. In "The Wounded Sky", a starship Inaieu was described as a "multihulled battleship", one out of presumably dozens, all from Starfleet proper.

Clearly, I wanted to do away with the silly concept of the ships being "destroyers" (since that specifier already had a different 23rd century meaning). "Battleship" sounded much more logical, but I decided to play a little trick and call these ships "defenders" instead. That way, they still are "defender class", without capital D...

...And then I had second thoughts and added the option of them literally being "Defender class defenders", save for the two Denebian-builds which are called "Deneb class defenders". It's *almost* as complicated as real world naval naming practices. [Smile]

In any case, this is what Duane has to say about the ships:

-Built for Denebian physique (at least the Deneb and Inaieu are)
-Saucer thrice as large as that of the Enterprise (here I took that to mean volume, not diameter)
-Four nacelles, twice as long as the Enterprise ones, in cruciform arrangement
-Secondary hull a mile long and 1/4 mi in diameter (absurd, completely absurd, as that would far out-beam the primary hull, which isn't aesthetically acceptable)
-Multi-hulled deep space patrol vessels

I took most of that and dropped the mile-based measurements. Perhaps Kirk wasn't all that good with Imperial units, but kept using them because he thought Metric would be unpatriotic?

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A MILE long? Thats 1609 bloody meters. What kind of drugs was she on?

And on that scale, even those otherwise HUGE nacelles are tiny.

It could also mean that these ships do not resemble Starfleet ships, but are in fact native Denebian designs, using competely different parts. We know that alien ship scales can be considerably different (D'deridex, Fesarius).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

A bump and a Guide update.

Some streamlining done to fit the pre-TOS ships into the ENT continuity. Old ships now have plasma cannon instead of lasers unless the latter are explicitly mentioned in source material. There's a placeholder entry for Iceland class, plus some thoughts about Intrepid type and Enterprise class. Some dates have been adjusted, and there are random other new entries here and there for the reader to hunt down.

I think I'll finally start doing graphics for this. Five-way drawings at first, to be made more presentable by interested artists once I get the preliminary stuff done. Then perhaps the pictures...

Timo Saloniemi

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the MONSTER bump, but I was wondering if this Guide was still available for download somewhere. The FlareUpload link is long dead, but I'd still love to get a look at this.

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's still available at Timo's Upload account, it's just that the URL has since changed. You can find it in two parts here and here.

Or at least I'm assuming that's what that is.

Wee Bairns
Member # 1324

- posted      Profile for Wee Bairns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much.

--------------------
Visit the Clive Cussler Forum at http://clivecusslerforum.com/

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good stuff but for some reason the images don't show up on the document.
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.