Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 1701 delta v calculation

Author Topic: 1701 delta v calculation
Sargon
Member # 1090

- posted      Profile for Sargon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GIven the TOS Enterprise is 190000 metric tons in mass, how much antimatter must be annihilated with an equal mass of normal matter to achieve a delta v of one light year? What formula do we use?

--------------------
Never fear... Sargon is here.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
E = mc(2)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your question isn't well formed. "delta v" means "change in velocity". E.g. you want to go from 0m/s to 10m/s (relative to something). It's a way of expressing the point that in most space flight situations the important thing is having enough energy to change your velocity, not how quickly you do it (so it's not acceleration).

A light year is a measure of distance. Given a velocity of 1m/s you can make that trip - it'll just take a while. We need to know how long you want the trip to take.

That will also tell us whether we can cheat and use the approximation of classical physics or if we have to use relativisitic physics. (We probably want the latter anyway; I'm assuming you care about the time dilation for the occupants.)

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, unless I'm mistaken, Star Trek's never given any kind of ratio for how much energy it takes to create and sustain a warp field, so unless you're talking about using matter and antimatter as an animatter annihilation engine (for impulse), there's absolutely no way of knowing any of this.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sticking with the strict 1:1 ratio, not allowing for lower-warp imbalanced-ratio reactions to provide energized plasma for the EPS taps/maintain WPS pressure.

But we also need to know if you're talking sublight or FTL travel here.

And a last BTW... Delta v does refer to change in velocity, velocity being speed in a given direction. To change your delta v, you can change either speed or direction or both. So we need some more specifics.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek is a TV show.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ITS WAHT!?!?

DEAR GOD --
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
[Eek!]

check, please!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sargon:
GIven the TOS Enterprise is 190000 metric tons in mass

Is it?

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWvolumetrics.html#Scotty

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps