Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Tech in a New Direction ["The Xindi" SPOILERS] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: $$ Tech in a New Direction ["The Xindi" SPOILERS]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's short for "photographic electronic" torpedoes.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just hoping they haven't ditched the old torpedoes in the upgrade. They still had the old launch tracks in the armory set, and the same old tubes on the exterior model... Also, Reed points out that the new torps had super range and variable yield - they said nothing about increased destructive potential, though it was pointed out that they have antimatter warheads.

Besides, it'd just look way cool if we could see Enterprise blazing away with all barrels... Torpdoes, phase cannons, and plasma guns. As if.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Did we ever get a name for the green pulse weapon Enterprise fired from the forward saucer in the premiere?"

Disrupt cannons.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
[QB] I'm just hoping they haven't ditched the old torpedoes in the upgrade. They still had the old launch tracks in the armory set, and the same old tubes on the exterior model... Also, Reed points out that the new torps had super range and variable yield - they said nothing about increased destructive potential, though it was pointed out that they have antimatter warheads.

I believe I saw a few of the old spatial torpedoes sitting on racks behind some wall in the Armory set, in the scene when Reed, Major Lunkhead, and T'Pol were planning the assault.

There really wasn't all that much tech to this episode. The only things I wonder about would be why the Local Miners decided to pump their plasma UP instead of DOWN. Aside from giving Our Heroes some time to get out of the fire, of course...

Other tech? Oh yeah... was I mistaken, or did I hear one of the Xindi (one portrayed by an actor, not CGI) say that Earth was 50 light-years away? Not that ENT has ever paid too much attention to stellar cartography, but isn't that awfully damn close for a major group of species that we've never ever heard of before? I thought Soval said in the finale that it was 2,000 LY away...

And finally, did anyone else get bad flashbacks from "Star Wars" during those Xindi Council scenes? *sigh*

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You couldn't just've read my review? [Big Grin]

Yes, I was reminded of AoTC in the Council scenes.

I don't think there being 50 light years away is all that big of a deal. I mean, in three years of TOS, twenty-one combined years of TNG, DS9, and VOY, and ten feature films, how many Federation member races have we seen represented? And considering that worlds within Federation space aren't neccessarily Federation members, I don't really see a big deal with this.

PS - I like the hatch doors.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
I thought Soval said in the finale that it was 2,000 LY away...

So Soval was lying? Luv these new cuddly vulcans.
quote:

And finally, did anyone else get bad flashbacks from "Star Wars" during those Xindi Council scenes? *sigh*

That and the planet being destroyed..."I sense a great disturbance in the force"
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought, but could the Xindi who said that have been referencing Enterprise? Of course, if they think they're planet is going to be destroyed 400 years in the future ... (unless it's some sort of weapon that works in reverse...)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funky ep! Like the new stuff. Let's get to it.

-The Expanse is only 50ly away, but it's 2000 BIG - let's see how that screws up the damn map.

-I like the new command center, though it has no seats for its multitude of consoles. One wonders if all the stations would ever be used at once, cramped in like that. I believe that the big display is made from bits of obs lounge in "Nemesis".

-Speaking of which, the command center was a storage room before. What with this, the new machinery for the torpedoes, and all the space the MACOs need, it seems that Starfleet doesn't have a long-term mission in mind. I highly doubt they completely overhauled the ship and miniaturized everything to the point that all the new stuff wouldn't affect the endurance of the ship; I wonder if they'll ever run into a Voyager-esque scrounging or resource problem.

-Ahh, the MACOs. Nice uniforms, though as camo it's awfully minimal. Also nice to see that they're all from places in the US - Minnesota and Altanta nevertheless see lots of aliens apparently. Oddly, the MACOs seem quite landlocked under normal circumstances. I guess Starfleet hasn't yet needed troops of any kind in their exploration.

-Remember a TNG episode when the Enterprise ran through a bunch of portable holes? One went through the conference lounge, piling all the furniture up in the middle of the room offscreen. I'd have liked to see that with the VFX seen in the cargo bay. [Smile]

-The mining colony uses wind power - a rarity in Trek, even in this era. backup power, perhaps?

-It's a FAAAAAAAAKE! Platinum naturally occurs as a solid, no?

-The Xindi reptiles and humanoids are related as neanderthals and us. One wonders how much the other species are... The only other occurrence of different sentient species on the same planet that comes to mind are the Mon Calamari and the Quarren from Star Wars. Any others?

-Why the hell do the sewers have to glow? Do one of the thirty-one species that create the stuff..?

-Hayes addresses Reed as "sir". Is anyone familiar with the pay grades of the US military able to justify something here - or is it just the chain of command in evidence on the ship?

-Reed asks Hayes to choose six men to accompany him on the rescue mission. Assuming they considered that Pod One might not be useable, that's more than a tight squeeze in those pods.

-Let's talk MACO tech! Weapons-wise, they have a spiffy rifle with a deployable sight, what looks to be the old plasma pistols (Yes! I loved those), and some sort of zapper stick. Neat - I wonder what other stuff they carry in those backpacks. Indcidentally, the rifles are NOT phase weapons as we know them. Plasma again? It's a white pulse. Anyone else notice any details?

-Upon escape, T'pol directs the two pods to dock simpultaneously. It makes sense for them to dock individually otherwise, I guess.

-Hey, didn't they say we were gonna see a brig?

-Y'know, for a guy who had no qualms about rubbing T'pol down with blue goo in the pilot...

Mark

[ September 10, 2003, 11:54 PM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ahh, the MACOs. Nice uniforms
What about their rank insignia?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

They wear some sort of rectangular embroidered patch on the right shoulder. I didn't get a clear look, but Hayes has some sort of red symbol in the middle, with two gold bars on either side. The left shoulder sports the MACO Enterprise patch.

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume the "sir" has to be due to chain-of-command, since a major is equivalent to a lieutenant commander.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Why the hell do the sewers have to glow? Do one of the thirty-one species that create the stuff..?
It wasn't the, uh, effluvia itself that was glowing. There were lights on the wall underneath the water. Or such was my impression. This is an admittedly odd thing to fixate on.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
I assume the "sir" has to be due to chain-of-command, since a major is equivalent to a lieutenant commander.

But Hayes addressed Reed as "sir".

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, meaning something has to override rank concerns. And that would be the chain of command. Which, as we know from many years of agonizing over bridge officer pecking order, doesn't have to follow rank.

Re: The Expanse. Only a short hop away, way too wide to be circumvented, reputedly a nasty place but in reality traversable. Later known as the Great Barrier?

Re: Shuttlepod to the rescue. Perhaps Reed intended for the MACOs to give their seats to the rescuees on the way back? [Smile]

Re: Related sentient species. Diane Duane did those in the novel "Doctor's Orders". Of course, here these cousin species could be the result of bioengineering in the past, rather than a natural development.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know people have been lamenting this before, but why, why, dear god why no screencaps of the technology, starships, starbases, probes, weapons?

(breaking down crying, weeping, cursing the fate of living in a country that doesn�t let me do that myself..)

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps