Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Chin'toka: Breen energy weapon, and where did those escape pods go? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Chin'toka: Breen energy weapon, and where did those escape pods go?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so while I was thinking about escape pods for that other thread, I started thinking about the escape pods we saw in the second Battle of Chin'toka in DS9's "The Changing Face of Evil."

And I wondered... if all 300+ ships except for one were disabled and destroyed by the Breen energy-dampening weapon, then where the heck did the escape pods go to get the survivors like the Defiant crew away? They don't have anything more than a mini-fusion reactor and maybe some weak impulse engines to power them... so how would they get away from Dominion territory?

I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that the dialogue in "When it Rains..." could justify saying that some of the ships managed to restart their power systems and escape the battle? I know that the final effects shot pretty much indicated that the whole fleet was destroyed, but it seems to me that at least some of the ships would've had to have been left intact -- especially since Weyoun and the Female Changeling seemed to think that those escape pods they left would be able to get out of the system.

Which brings me to the Breen energy-dampening weapon, and a rather interesting question I should've thought of a lot earlier: Why wasn't the Defiant (or any other ship) immediately destroyed when the power to the ship's antimatter containment fields was lost? The only solution I can come up with is that the power loss was not as total as one might have thought -- or also that the power loss was in some way selective.

Either way, it suggests that there's some way around it aside from the countermeasures that Starfleet and the allies developed later on. Perhaps some starships still took power hits at Chin'toka, but weren't completely disabled and were thus able to escape?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing that lone Klingon ship was able to leave the area and get a signal out to allied fleets to get some rescue ships in to retrieve survivors.

As for the Breen weapon, I'm sure that had the Dominion not continued firing at disabled ships, they would still have exploded on their own. From what the episode suggested, power was not lost instantenously. It was gradual, meaning the M/ARA magnetic fields were slowly losing power and in time would completely collapse. All the disabled ships we saw were still losing their power and had not yet exploded yet.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THe M/ARA bottles probably have a redundant power to prevent loss of containment if power is lost (we've seen ship's shot up so bad that only batteries are working at best, so I think it's pretty clear the ship does'nt blow-up if power is suddenly lost).

THe pods were likely recovered by a second wave of incoming ships that would have aborted the attack after hearing about the total destruction of the first wave.
Nobody attacks an entrenched force without some reenforcments.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Nobody attacks an entrenched force without some reenforcments.
Except for Sisko. Remember "The Sacrifice of Angels"? [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Stop pointing out flaws in my arguments!
Bastard. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they deliberately left the survivors after that battle, didn't they? They wanted people to live to tell the tale of the mighty Breen weapon that could disable a whole fleet. The blow to morale would have been staggering, no?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Batteries? What about a solar sail even... in ST:IV:TVH The Yorktown was trying to deploy a make-shift solar sail.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's likely the antimatter containment fields are powered by a completely separate system, not tied into the main power system at all. That would probably be the best solution, since it is one of the most vital parts of the ship.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Exactly....they could even be powered by the M/ARA reaction itself: kinda a minature version of the system that powers the whole ship.
Or, a small amount of energy from the m/ARA system could be stored in a reserve "battery" with hundreds of hours of containment time for when the main power goes off.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree that the M/ARA has it's own separated power source, but it's quite possible that power source was also drained or dampened by the weapon so that the containment fields would collapse in time anyway. The same goes with those reserve batteries.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems to me that the pods are degaussed over a longer period of time... which gives you some leeway if power goes out. Isn't there a comment on this in the TNG TM?

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quite possible that there were a number of support ships (transports, medical ships, Engineering support vessles) attached to the fleet that hung back during the engagement and picked up the survivors afterwards.
The Dominon would have left them alone on the Founder's orders since they posed no threat and as has been pointed out, she wanted people to survive to spread the word of their defeat.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
It seems to me that the pods are degaussed over a longer period of time... which gives you some leeway if power goes out. Isn't there a comment on this in the TNG TM?

That's what I was thinking. Remember TNG's "Disaster"? Didn't the Ent-D lose almost all power? I can't check the scripts on minutiae for some reason. The TNGTM says very little about the topic, but it does suggest that in the event of lost of containment, the field does take time to decay. I would expect antimatter pod's containment fields being able to hold a charge for at least a little while. And if the Breen energy dampening weapon only affects electro-plasma-dependent systems, it might not work on something that is holding a reserve charge in non-EP form.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

The degaussing didn't hold true for the Yamato though. IIRC, what happened was the initial dumping of the antimatter (pods?) that was halted and immediate failure/sudden loss of power to magnetic containment which resulted in an immediate explosion.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some systems must have independant power or else the Breen weapon is somehow selective in what it disables. Surely the mechanism for opening the escape pod hatches on the Defiant must require some sort of power. The strangest thing is that sensors must've still been somewhat functional because the crew were able to detect where the hull was being breached, aswell as keeping track of what ship systems were being effected.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps