Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Chin'toka: Breen energy weapon, and where did those escape pods go? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Chin'toka: Breen energy weapon, and where did those escape pods go?
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also the viewscreen was still on.

As for the Escape pod hatches, even if the electronics failed, there could have been a non-electrical backup, probably a set of chemical based explosive charge.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
The degaussing didn't hold true for the Yamato though. IIRC, what happened was the initial dumping of the antimatter (pods?) that was halted and immediate failure/sudden loss of power to magnetic containment which resulted in an immediate explosion.

Maybe the degaussing did work. The Iconian virus must have knocked out Yamato's containment monitoring system, otherwise her crew would have known about the containment failure way before the Ent-D did. It could have also knocked out her containment field power, and during the period before the explosion, the pods were running on reserved charge. Since the monitoring system was malfunctioning, no one knew that. All they knew was that containment was still up, they didn't know that it wasn't up the way it should be. When the Yamato blew up, it was the containment field power that failed, it was the degaussing finally running out.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No... it wasn't just the yamato's monitoring system because they lost containment quickly after the E-D detected it. I suspect that the Iconian virus did more than just deactivate the magnetic field, I think it switched the polarity on the field generator which quickly killed the magnetic field.

Look at what the TNG TM says about the gravity generators... which can be considered to be similar technology I think... If it doesn't receive power it will still produce a field for 4 hours.

But there are still circumstances which I think power loss doesn't mean eventual containment loss. I would think that they would have some type of permenant [or semi-permenant: meaning that it lasts long enough for you to be unconcerned about it.. like days] storage system. Probably something to where they can't access the antimatter inside unless an external power source is available. Something like a capacitence jar, which keeps it's static charge for a long time and that charge can store the antimatter.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't an antimatter storage device be one of the last things you would ever want to degauss?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what the EMH Mark I is for.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it would be one of the last things [I'm sure there is some type of maintence that would require you to empty the antimatter and degauss the pod], but even if it is one of the last things, if you switch the flow of the electrons through an electromagnetic you switch the fields polarity. It's not a hard thing to do, especially if we're talking about a really advanced computer virus that turns things topsy tervy for a living. So, you're right, but I still think that's the more likely scenario.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.