Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Refs needed for top of Excelsior suacer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Refs needed for top of Excelsior suacer
seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In particular, I'm looking for closeups of the panel lines, particular towards the edge of the raised/curved part of the top of the saucer. In other words, I need a closeup of the part this guy's left hand is right in front of:

-

If anyone knows where such images can be obtained, I'd greatly appreciate knowing about it. Thanks.

BTW, here are the refs I already have, so as to avoid unnecessary duplication:

http://www.webolutionary.com/startrek/excelsior_refit/

--------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

"The ulimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy."
-- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does this help?
http://www.thomasmodels.com/gallery/nx12.jpg

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, no, as that is not the actual studio model. You'll find that no commercially available model is ever a perfect reproduction of the original, and many are off in astoundingly obvious ways, sometimes even in basic proportions and shapes. In the case of that particular one, the outter rim of the saucer is too angled, and the grid lines aren't positioned quite correctly on the top of the saucer.

Thanks anyway, though.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

"The ulimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone has an exact model though, it's Thomas sasser: he just mastered the new Polar Lights Enterprise and Ent Refit.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

seanr
Member # 277

That may be, but I can still spot the errors on it a mile away. [Wink] I only trust the original artists who actually built the studio model to really truely get it all right. Everyone else is going to miss something.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/excelsior1.htm

http://members.aol.com/idicpage/excelsior.html

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

seanr
Member # 277

Already seen all of those, but thanks.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

TheYoshinator
Member # 1066

- posted      Profile for TheYoshinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I threw these up for you. These are the Replica's that Greg Jein made from molds of the studio model. They were sold at the Star Trek store... not sure where though. Check William McCullars' page. I know he has some of it too. As a matter of fact these may be his. I can't remember where I got them. It was years ago.

I think Image 11 is the area you are looking for.

http://webpages.charter.net/theyoshinator/images/greigjeinreplica/page_01.htm

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so you know seanr, the pics Yoshi posted are Greg Jein's replicas of the 4-foot model built for Voyager's "Flashback" episode, not picture of the original 8-footer. THere are bound to be minor differences because it is a half-scaled model of the original.

I'm not sure exactly what you're after though...are those Lakota pictures you have not show you what you need? The Lakota is the original Excelsior model with a few removable additions to it. The saucer wasn't changed drastically.

seanr
Member # 277

Yoshinator - any chance you could put all the thumbnails on one page, instead of one page per thumb? It's a litle bit of a pain to dig through them that way.

SoundEffect - The lakota pictures do show it a little, but they're not high-res enough.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just how much resolution are you going for, here? What's the particular bit you're interested in, besides the thruster assembly?

Just curious, 'cause it seems like the extraordinary reference images given thus far ought to be enough for virtually any effort.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

TheYoshinator
Member # 1066

- posted      Profile for TheYoshinator     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for clarrifying that those are of the 4-footer. It explains why some of the edges are softer than the 8 footer.I know the Constitution-Refit better than I do Excelsior.

As for consolidating the thumbs... I can't easily do that... just too busy. You could just back up into the directory and click on the image names or just download them.

seanr
Member # 277

OK, that'll work, Yoshi, thanks.

Guardian, the part in question is the paneling just inside the edge of the raised portion of the saucer.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

Masaki
Member # 1030

- posted      Profile for Masaki     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are not very good resolution images, but very rare behind-the-scene images from TNG pilot.

Encounter at Farpoint

--------------------
"There are no three warp-engined or single warp-engined ships in Starfleet!".
(Gene Roddenberry)
Starship Class

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hey! The hood's an Excelsopr Pre-Fit!
It still has the old bridge, impulse crystal and that odd dome at the aft.

I didint know that!

So the prototype style of Excelsior is still in service into the TNG era (and the Hood herself was built long after the Excelsior was refit for STVI) so that makes the prototype version a viable variant (not just a one-off that ws changed as tech was refined).

Cool- from my geeky starship modeler perspective. [Big Grin]

[ March 29, 2004, 10:03 AM: Message edited by: Jason Abbadon ]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps