Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ST: Voyager - Season 1 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: ST: Voyager - Season 1
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
^ I've always thought that the best thing about the Voyager ship is how well thought out it is. Pity the design is otherwise on the dull and ugly side (in my opinion).

Anyway, that cap above reminds me how much better the physical miniature looked over the CG model. That's a nice shot that.

Would you say it's more thought out than, say the D?

Personally, I prefer the look of physical models to CG in the current state-of-the-art, mostly because CGI still doesn't replicate real light quite right.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
It reminds me of the first level in Rogue Squadron... Mos Esle or something like that, where Luke grew up.

Hoards of Star Wars fans are trying to Force Choke you as we speak.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Well for one, you don't have to be an ass about it....and actually thats what I found fascinating about the caps. I've never noticed the 'raiders' parked in the sand before, nor have I ever seen any similiar pictures as such before so I thought I'd share. But hey, sorry for wasting your precious time...

Hey hey!!! My God! The problems with TEXT as things can always seem so SARCASTIC! NOTHING I meant about my original post was meant to be sarcastic or nasty. Truely just asking what you found interesting/fascinating about it - tis all!!

WOAH you have to be careful with text on the net.

If I'm being sarcastic or joking - i will usually include a smiley face.

Read again, and start afresh.

What do you find fascinating about it.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:

Hmmm, I'd probably say that Voyager is the most thoroughly thought out ship in Star Trek history, followed by the D. I do believe the Ent-D is far more attractive though.
quote:
Personally, I prefer the look of physical models to CG in the current state-of-the-art, mostly because CGI still doesn't replicate real light quite right.
Agreed. I've always preferred motion control photography over CGI.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the exterior of Voyager may be more thought out, but The D probably has the upper hand on interior details. Voyager had relatively little thought put into the interior. The one time they show us more of deck 1 than the bridge, lounge and ready room... they screw it up big time.

The D had blueprints made up for the ship, even though they were never used, really. I've never seen or heard of deck by deck prints for Voyager.

That said, Voyager had alot of cool detailing on the exterior that all had a purpose. Lots of hatches and doors, etc.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What were these hexagonal things on the underside of the saucer section?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, they are workbee sphincters.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or just regular airlocks?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok everyone, Futurama Guy is giving me caps from voyager season 1. I�m posting them as they come and when I have time. Checkout caretakers array at Starbases for instance. Or Kazon

ps - those of you who visit my site know how disorganized it is. Check out my news-section for better information. - ds

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:

Hmmm, I'd probably say that Voyager is the most thoroughly thought out ship in Star Trek history, followed by the D.
Evenh with those little twig-like landing legs and the "wing flapping" nacelles?
...and where did that Runabout get stored?
Not in that tiny shuttlebay, for certain. [Wink]

It's a hell of a nicely built physical model though. (though, I'd have made the numbers on the lifeboat hatched in some kind of order).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
What were these hexagonal things on the underside of the saucer section?

Sternbach himself said in a magazine interview that those segmented hexagonal details are airlock hatches from the cargo bays for specially suited EVA operations. (The special suits he may have been referring to might be the hexagonal EVA suits he drew for the TNG Tech Manual.)
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

When was a runabout ever stored on Voyager?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"IIRC, they are workbee sphincters."

Ew.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Well, I'm glad someone got it.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I was hoping the E-D blueprints would correct was the dimensions/interior layout of the Captain's Yacht. The plan in the TNG TM Rick's admitted was wrong. He accidentally used the short axis measurement for the long axis in determining the interior, so it's waaaay smaller than it should be.

I think the E-D is the best-thought-out ship in Trekdom so far, followed closely by Voyager. The original Enterprise would be up further in my list if Matt hadn't given it quite such spindly pylons and dorsal. And bits of the refit were dazzlingly well-thought-out, but those are unfortunately more than nullified by the bits that are so screwed up it makes one want to cry. Next on my list would have to be the Runabout. The Defiant would have gotten on my list if Drexler hadn't %#*(%#ed it over...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps