Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Photon Torpedo Launchers

Author Topic: Photon Torpedo Launchers
Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know the "science" of how the torpedo works in ST? And how do they rapid fire so quickly too? I'm assuming that they have something like the torp room in ENT where 3-4 torps are stacked on top of one another. The problem with that is thet I heard that Torpedos take a long time to charge (however they do it)before they are ready to fire.

Suggestions?

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capt.Blair245:
Anyone know the "science" of how the torpedo works in ST?

Not to be glib at all, but all the answers to those questions and more are a part of Chapter 11 of the TNG Technical Manual.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well to breathe new life into this thread, does anyone remember the mentioning or use of "micro-torpedoes" in any of Star Trek starting with the launch of the Voyager series? I was reading the Star Trek Voyager Technical Manual, Version 1.0 and there is references to that, I just wonder if it was ever employed in the series('s) or not.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Voyager Tech Manual? WTFAYBOA?

The DS9TM probably invented the microtorps, since I can't remember any on-screen mention of them. The Danube supposedly carries microtorps. But has a runabout ever even fired a torpedo at all?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Past Prologue" -- the second frikkin' episode. Tahna Los manhandles a mini-trilithium probe into a manual loading port for the launcher below the cockpit floor.

And supposedly there are tactial cargo modules that have full-size torps and a pop-down launcher. I think this is what O'Brien was accused of flying in "Tribunal"...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That episode had a giant red button! It was scary!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Voyager Tech Manual? WTFAYBOA?

The underlining tricked me into thinking it was a link... but I'm guessing it's a fan publication.
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
The DS9TM probably invented the microtorps, since I can't remember any on-screen mention of them. The Danube supposedly carries microtorps. But has a runabout ever even fired a torpedo at all?

I can't remember if DS9 ever specifically mentioned microtorps but a runabout (the Rio Grande IIRC) was shown firing torps into the wormhole in "The Search II".

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, maybe the Voyager Technical Manual was actually created by the production team as a reference source for the writers. I have heard of such a manual for the Next Generation.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if they did, they certainly never read it.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More like misplaced it.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or someone switched it for a copy of "Football it's a Funny Old Game - by Kevin Keegan".

As for the micro-torps, I think it was just the manual's way of accounting for the numerous times which runabouts were reffered to being armed with photon torpedoes, when it's really not big enough to carry very many, never mind a full sized tube.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by newark:
Or, maybe the Voyager Technical Manual was actually created by the production team as a reference source for the writers. I have heard of such a manual for the Next Generation.

The Writer's Technical Guide. Yep. I have a copy of the TNG version. The TNG:TM duplicates a lot of what's in it, but not everything. Some of the material in tech guide relates to the range of sizes for habitable planets, suggestions for starship combat tactics that could be used in an episode and stuff like that. It was, after all, for the writers, not Treknical types. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
quote:
Originally posted by newark:

The Writer's Technical Guide. Yep. I have a copy of the TNG version. The TNG:TM duplicates a lot of what's in it, but not everything. Some of the material in tech guide relates to the range of sizes for habitable planets, suggestions for starship combat tactics that could be used in an episode and stuff like that. It was, after all, for the writers, not Treknical types. [Big Grin]
Yep, thats it exactly. It's written by...shit...I can't remember off hand - I want to say Okuda had something to do with it; but it's about 40-50 pages and it a writers guide essentially.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Yep, thats it exactly. It's written by...shit...I can't remember off hand - I want to say Okuda had something to do with it; but it's about 40-50 pages and it a writers guide essentially.

Here we go:
First Season Edition
Copyrighted September, 1994
~37 pages [w/ TOC and index].

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps