Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Which Is The Right Size? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Which Is The Right Size?
SwSmith
Member # 1319

- posted      Profile for SwSmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! I'm trying to decide on the sizes of these to starship classes. I could use some input on this.
Here's what I have.

STEAMRUNNER-CLASS

243.84 m (David Stipes)
328 m (Dominion Wars Web Site)
355 m (Others Star Trek Sites)
365.54 m (Ship Recognition Manual, Vol.1)
375 m (Star Trek RPG: Starfleet Operatios Manual)

SABER-CLASS

160 m (Star Trek RPG: Starfleet Operations Manual)
172 m (Others Star Trek Sites)
172.77 m (Ship Recognition Manual Manual, Vol.1)
190.50 m (David Stipes)
364.77 m (DS9 Technical Manual)

and I'm not sure the sizes form the Star Trek Encyclopedia.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saber is about 172 meters -makes sense from the windows and onscreen evidence- it's a small ship.
The DS9TM length on the Saber was just a placeholder but I guess no one caught the error when the book was edited. Not the only error in the ship section. The Saber's plethora of ( pinata's!) lifeboats adds to the confusion though.
It could have lifeboats for it's maximum evac. compliment, I suppose.

The Steamrunner has to be close to 360 meters long if those lifeboats are the same size as those on the Enterprise E.
Besides, we see a Steamrunner eat it in FC from a long ways away- a 243 meter ship would be a wasp next to the cube and not noticable that way.

Who or what is "David Stipes" and where did he get his figures from?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stipes is a VFX director for (was it ds9??) trek, he has the dubious honor of having decided the size relationships of models when they appeared onscreen.

i think there's a lot of Defiant-length arguers that want to talk to him.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few choice moments I'd like speak with him about as well.

Like the teeny-tiny Nebula in the opening credits or the impossibly huge scale-up to make the Regula model into Starbase 375.

He's also the one that scaled the Dominion Battleship as both smaller than a Vor'Cha and over 5 kilometers long in WYLB?!?

Yeah, be sure to use this guy's measurements on anything you want to look right.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while we are on the topic, does anyone know how big the Mars Perimiter Defence ships are supposed to be?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

hmmmm...good question.
There's nothing to scale them against: they looked no larger than 100 meters (at most).

I dont think they even kept those models: they were only made from leftover Typhoon submarine kits (parts of wich make up the Challenger).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I was looking I found that they were reused in Unification's Qualor II scene and as the Soliton Wave Rider, so they must have had it around for awile. Was there anything to scale the Soliton Rider against? I don't remember the scene well enough
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Hmmm....the waverider might have been a modification on the original models.

You know, I had tried to forget that episode.
NOw you've ruined everything!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

But that episode as the Geordi's ironic comment about witnessing the first warp flight, how could you try and forget THAT! [Razz]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Geordi?
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think his entire post is best forgotten...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MirrorCaptainMike:
stipes is a VFX director for (was it ds9??) trek, he has the dubious honor of having decided the size relationships of models when they appeared onscreen.

i think there's a lot of Defiant-length arguers that want to talk to him.

David Stipes along with Gary Hutzel were the two VFX Supervisors that worked on the later seasons of DS9. Stipes also acted as VFX Supervisor on at least some episodes of Voyager.

Regarding the Defiant, both Stipes and Hutzel have quoted it's length as 560' (171m). I believe Hutzel was the one who originally came up with that length.

As for the original question: I'd say the Steamrunner-class is about 335m and the Saber is around 180m.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

I refuse to be held accountable for my typing at any time after midnight, my keyboard requires full attention to work right
SwSmith
Member # 1319

- posted      Profile for SwSmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what the Star Trek the Magazine said about the Saber-class. "The entire ship is a similar size to the saucer section of the Galaxy-class starship. Vol.1, Issue 23
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I calculated it correctly, the saucer of the Galaxy is ~360 meters; much much too long for the Sabre....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps