Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Which Is The Right Size? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Which Is The Right Size?
SwSmith
Member # 1319

- posted      Profile for SwSmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok! I just did a print out of the Saber & Galaxy-class and compared tho two. With the Saber at 365 meters, the escape hatches are the same size as the Glaxy-class, so the question is, why can't the Sabe-class be this big. I guest the only way will know is to ask Alex Jaegar from ILM who designed the ship.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because everyone seems fixated on the idea that it must be Defiant sized.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Saber class has been seen exactly two times; First Contact and "Sacrifice of Angels", and the last time so briefly you'd think the VFX crew were intentionally pissing us off.
Has any starfleet class been seen even less than that? That is, just one episode or movie?

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All those kitbashes in "A Time to Stand" (DS9) and the ships from Insurrection. [Smile]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Has any starfleet class been seen even less than that? That is, just one episode or movie?"

The Norway.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And no small wonder, it being arguably uglier than the Curry class. It looks like a 1982 Saab, the Norway does.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Has any starfleet class been seen even less than that? That is, just one episode or movie?"

How about both? The refit Excelsior... [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lovely New Orleans.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What length for the Defiant did we sorta come to a consensus about here? 150m? If the defiant is 170m isn't that longer than The NX-Enterprise?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Sabre and Steamruunner were seen in:

First Contact
A Call to Arms
Favour The Bold
Sacrifce of Angels
Tears of the Prophets
and the episode where the fleet gets decimated by the Breen Weapon.
(stock footage) What Yo Leave Behind (I think).

I also have the two of them stationed next to a Akira Class in an establishing shot around DS9 from sometime in Season 6 or 7.

Oh and they were both in "Relativity" [VOY]

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Changing Face of Evil", IIRC. RIP, Defiant.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
What length for the Defiant did we sorta come to a consensus about here? 150m? If the defiant is 170m isn't that longer than The NX-Enterprise?

I personally consider the Defiant to be 560', but I think most people here believe in 120m. The NX-01 is officially 225m long.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SwSmith:
Ok! I just did a print out of the Saber & Galaxy-class and compared tho two. With the Saber at 365 meters, the escape hatches are the same size as the Glaxy-class, so the question is, why can't the Sabe-class be this big. I guest the only way will know is to ask Alex Jaegar from ILM who designed the ship.

While the lifeboats match the Galaxy's at that size, the windows dont.
Also, the window's spacing would be really strange at that size.

180(ish) meters looks cooler as well.

A fellow modeler (Starcrafts) makes a 1400th Sabre model based off the actual CGI from First Contact and he's got it pegged at 180 meters (that's good enough for me) and besides, I already have three lovely 2500th scale models built of the Sabre at the smaller size!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

What do you mean 'the actual CGI'? Did he get access to the original Mesh/Sabre pic? or from the movie First Contact?

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What length for the Defiant did we sorta come to a consensus about here?"

None. Nor will we ever, I've little doubt.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.