Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant - Carries a runabout? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Defiant - Carries a runabout?
Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for Defiantly Running About     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first started watching Deep Space Nine, I thought that perhaps the Defiant carried a runabout in its tiny shuttlebay on the underbelly. After watching just a little while I realized there almost positively wasn't enough space, but I still don't know enough about the specs of either the Defiant or Starfleet runabouts to know if it could fit or not. So, does anybody here know? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Silent enim leges inter arma.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what's this then?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Ayre
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for Ayre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is the beginning of another war..*goes looking for his grenades*

--------------------
Wit is educated insolence

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

- posted      Profile for Defiantly Running About     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's what? What's the question? Essentially, could a Defiant-class ship carry a Danube-class runabout in its shuttlebay?
Ayre
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for Ayre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the simple answer would have to be "no" unless the Defiant's shuttlepod is the same size as a Danube class runabout. There wasn't exactly much room to spare from the ep "The Sound of Her Voice"

--------------------
Wit is educated insolence

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

That could have been just a single compartment or room in the shuttlebay. It's possible, no?

--------------------

Marauth
Member # 1320

- posted      Profile for Marauth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However the Defiant shuttlepod that barely fits into the shuttlebay is only 6.5m long, the Danube is a whopping 23m long so there's no way it'd fit through the hole in the bottom of the Defiant if we assume the correct size of 120m. If you're one of those odd folk who think it's 170m then it'll just fit, if you're a very good pilot and don't mind painting the nose of your runabout every time you scrape on the Defiant's hull.

--------------------
Garbled, confusing and quite frankly duller than an inflight magazine produced by Air Belgium.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, partially basing my answer off the DS9TM, there are only 3 bays aboard the Defiant, each only large enough to hold just one shuttle.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

Anyone know the width/heigt of the shuttlebay opening? If I can find a good shot of the Defiant from the correct angles I could probably figure it out...

--------------------

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

Here are the dimensions from the Daystrom Institute Technical library at http://www.ditl.org which is a VERY geek site ;P

Length : 170.68 m
Beam : 134.11 m
Height : 30.1 m
Decks : 4

And for the Danube-class (oddly listed under shuttles):

Length : 23.1 m
Beam : 13.7 m
Height : 5.4 m
Decks : 1

I'm still trying to find a good pic of the Defiant to judge bay size, but it's really looking like it couldn't fit.

--------------------

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

http://www.cs.umanitoba.ca/~djc/startrek/pics/class_defiant-bw.gif

That doesn't show the bay, but isn't the bay approximately the same size as the bridge?

--------------------

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/defiant/defiant-danube.jpg

Thanks to Ayre for that image, the final nail in my coffin:D Obviously, the runabout could NOT fit, and I should stop talking now.

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, those things are small. You'd think Starfleet would assign something bigger to guard DS9.

Admiral: Yes, we know you are perhaps the most strategic Federation position outside Earth. Yes, the Cardassians live nearby. Yes, thousands of people inhabit the station. But take these runabouts...we've given you three, haven't we?

--------------------
Meh

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Defiantly Running About: Obviously, the runabout could NOT fit, and
I should stop talking now.

Most intelligent thing you've said all day... [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Defiantly Running About
Member # 1216

*pretends to cry. Waits for you to come over and apologize, then jabs you in the solar plexus* ... [Wink]

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps