Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Commissioned / Launched

Author Topic: Commissioned / Launched
SwSmith
Member # 1319

- posted      Profile for SwSmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! What's the difference between a ship being commissioned and a ship being launched or is there a difference, because on some of the dedication plaque, it said commissioned and some say launched, for example, the Enterprise-D was launched on stardate 40759.5 and the Sutherland was commissioned on Stardate 44820.5, So what up with that!
CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

- posted      Profile for CaptainMaxwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LAUNCHED means the first time a ship leaves the construction facility with own propulsion.
COMMISSIONED means the date when the ship has been accepted by the navy (or Starfleet) and declared operational.

They should only use one on the plaques, preferrable the launch date.

--------------------
"Ah, Romulans. I like them best burning and in pieces."

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, a ship can be launched and pulled by tug,to the fitters. Just depends on the shipyard.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A ship isnt considered part of the fleet until it has been commissioned. It can be fully completed in the shipyard ready to fight but it isnt considered part of the fleet until it has actually been commissioned.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, some ships are commissioned more than once. It has at times been customary to decommission a ship when she departs regular service for a lengthy overhaul or modification, and to recommission her at service re-entry. If Starfleets abides to this practice, it would be easier to explain some oddball commissioning dates on these blasted plaques...

Perhaps Starfleet uses launch date on the plaque only for ships that have not yet been decommissioned and recommissioned in connection of a major overhaul? That is, "virgin" ships of sorts?

Timo Saloniemi

CaptainMaxwell
Member # 932

- posted      Profile for CaptainMaxwell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Changing the (commission-)dates on those plaques every few years would render them senseless...

Correct me if I'm wrong but the plaques (brass? bronze? gold? ivory? latinum?) are made when the ship is constructed (I remember a pic of the plaque of a navy destroyer) and are the most holy part of any ship. So messing around with them would be something very respectless...

(The plaques in VOY Equinox...)

--------------------
"Ah, Romulans. I like them best burning and in pieces."

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps