Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG set layouts (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TNG set layouts
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DS9 used a blue screen and CGI/model - for DS9 as the hallways didn't bend as sharply - you could see they went on and on and on.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it was CGI, since it would be pointlessly expensive. More likely it was a matte painting, like the extremely obvious one in TMP.

And as to why they didn't use CGI to simulate long corridors...because they'd have had to have spent money on the CGI every single time they had a corridor scene. And that's silly.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first CGI corridors were seen in VOY "Fury", IIRC. Ironically, because it'd be too expensive to blow the physical sets up like that and then reconstruct them. ENT has used CGI corridors too, but not as extensions.

DS9 has goofed on occasion, using the painting that extends the Starfleet Jeffries tube to extend the DS9 tubes. TECHNICALLY you could say that Starfleet used their own design to replace chunks of stuff that had been blown up or otherwise needed replacing, but...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard sat in front of a fairly obvious Jeffries Tube extension painting when he was playing the flute with Lt. Commander Daren (and later while playing with Commander Darren herself). They did pretty good with the perspective, but it was just slightly off.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there a clear blueprint of the Bridge / Ready room / Observation Lounge set?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
DS9 used a blue screen and CGI/model - for DS9 as the hallways didn't bend as sharply - you could see they went on and on and on.

I'm re-reading this thread due to another old thread being dragged up - but was this really posted in 2004!?!?!?! I remember posting it like yesterday - and it scares me a little! Does it also mean that my sig file hasn't been changed since then?? Or does that just change depending on what your current file is? I don't think it does some how because I remember reading a post from 2000 I think and it was a different sig file.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sig and status lines are updated across the board. At least, as far back as this current version of UBB.classic was used, IIRC.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps