Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Baton Rouge Class (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Baton Rouge Class
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was an Arkanoid reference.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm....use the Moscow version, but give it a TOS impulse "stripe" instead of that horrible origami-looking thing and thicken the deflector's support stem- it looks horribly frail as it is.

If you want to get really creative, give the ship a NX-01 deflector and add in some NX plating- change the windows to round portholes too.
It'll look a lot more like a step between series that way.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woody
Member # 1337

- posted      Profile for Woody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the impulse section looks bad as it's shown in the original painting. Some of the fan based side views make it as stylish as a window air conditioner unit! LOL

As far as introducing "Enterprise" design elements into my version of the Baton Rouge class, it won't be happening. Don't get me wrong I enjoy watching Enterprise. As matter of fact it's the only show I watch weekly. I treat it as a stand alone sci-fi show apart from the Star Trek universe. If I didn't, the continuity problems would drive me batty! LOL

I think fan based sites like "The Starfleet Museum" offer more realistic pre-TOS material than those guys who have their hooks in Trek now.

--------------------
"An armed society is a polite society"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh....I dont know about that.
So9me of those designs for Pre-TOS are nice but aside from slapping on a nacelle or two, look nothing at all like Trek designs: many look like blimps or other seriously unattractive shapes.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Woody
Member # 1337

- posted      Profile for Woody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see were you might not like the designs of some of the Romulan War era vessels but I was referring to the plausibility of the back story and workable continuity. Read Masao's version of matter/anti-matter drive development as an example. Great stuff and you can tell he doesn't think Trek fans will swallow anything just because it's in a Star Trek box or uses time travel to explain bad story lines. As far as his TOS era ships just having a few nacelles slapped on, I have to disagree. There are really only a couple hulls on his site that are original ST material. Most of his hull designs and warp nacelles for that matter follow the form of that era but are very unique. I think his Avenger class is a great looking ship and shares no parts with canon designs. Perhaps if they had used a design like that instead of the Akira class, preserved the established continuity, and not have named the show "Enterprise" it would have meshed with the Trek universe. Having said that I do like Enterprise but as I stated before I don't believe it to be of the established Trek universe. Of course this is just my personal take on the show and it's place in Trekdom. LOL

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woody:
Most of his hull designs and warp nacelles for that matter follow the form of that era but are very unique.

But they don't follow the form of the era. The form of the era is as on Enterprise.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Woody
Member # 1337

quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
The form of the era is as on Enterprise.

In my humble opinion the ships on Enterprise look like they should be in the post-Next Generation ship line up, not at the beginning of the human warp era. If you had never heard of the show Enterprise and saw the NX in the latest Trek movie, you wouldn't blink an eye. The NX looks like an Akira contemporary vessel. Heck it looks like the Akira class. A vessel that pre-dates the TOS Enterprise should look older than it does. A Daedalus or even this threads namesake, the Baton Rouge class, would have been more believeable provided they didn't call it Enterprise. I'm a fan of the show Enterprise but I still don't think it fits in the Trek universe.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sighs, tells himself not to, and only partially manages to stop himself*

1/ The Daedalus is a hideous, hideous design. If people not completely obsessed with the Trek universe saw it on TV< they wouldn't think "Hmm, that really does look more primitive than the Enterprise from the original series". They would think "Oh my fucking god what the hell is that fucking thing oh shit my eyes have exploded fuck."

2/ Er, what's wrong with calling the show "Enterprise"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Woody
Member # 1337

1) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not a big fan of the Model T but when I see one I believe it is an old car.

2) In established Star Trek "history" there has only been three spacecraft christened "Enterprise" an the NX isn't on that list.

As I said before, I'm an Enterprise fan. It's the only show I watch weekly and I love it. I just don't think of it as part of Star Trek. Really the only thing that means to me is I won't be building an NX for my model collection. That OK because I like scratchbuilding anyway. On that note, I'm almost finished with the saucer for my USS Moscow.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In established Star Trek 'history' there has only been three spacecraft christened 'Enterprise' an the NX isn't on that list."

Um... Or maybe at least eight. Unless you mean prior to the TOS Ent, in which case it's at least two.

And what's wrong with the Daedalus?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:

Every fucking thing.

The oildrum secondary hull for starters.
Mabye it's the USS Haliburton
"Boldly exploiting planets natural rescources and over charging the government...."

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may not look great, but it is a senseable pre-tos ship.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Insofar as TOS ships were sensible.
Woody
Member # 1337

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Um... Or maybe at least eight. Unless you mean prior to the TOS Ent, in which case it's at least two.

TOS and before would be the 1)NASA Space Shuttle, 2)S.S. Enterprise, and of course 3)USS Enterprise.

I don't think there is anything wrong with the Daedalus class.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

There have been two aircraft carriers with that name, I believe.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps