Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starfleet ships in active service. Just a number. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Starfleet ships in active service. Just a number.
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.ditl.org/

Click on "Articles" at the bottom, and then "The Size Of Starfleet" on the left-hand menu. Stupid frames. [Razz]

Marian

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fleets involved in the retaking of DS9 were the 2nd, 5th and 9th (according to the Encyclopedia). And I am quite sure that they were not parts but the entire fleets. Sisko mentioned that parts of the 2nd (?) fleet didn't arrive in time but he wanted to take off nontheless because the Cardassians would be able to remove the mines soon.

And the ditl-article is an interesting summary, but doesn't add that much new information. And the final statement that there are between probably between 1,000 and 10,000 ships in service in the 24th century isn't very precise, either. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would Sisko take entire fleets off their assigned patrol areas and leave those areas unprotected?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd think that the re-assigned ships had older and less combat-ready ships take their places to defend the threatened Federation worlds.

It explains why we never saw any Ambassador class ships or any of the Wolf 359 classes during the war.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
The fleets involved in the retaking of DS9 were the 2nd, 5th and 9th (according to the Encyclopedia). And I am quite sure that they were not parts but the entire fleets.

Sisko: "By putting together a task force comprised of elements of the Second, Fifth, and Ninth Fleets, I believe we can retake Deep Space Nine -- the most important piece of real estate in the Alpha Quadrant."
- "Favor the Bold"[DS9-6]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Elements" sont sound like very large percentages of those fleets.
...of course, that might have been Sisko's intention. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think every Fed. fleet during the war were of equal size. Fleets guarding key systems probably were larger and made up of better ships.

I'm not sure which fleet it was[9th? 2nd, or 5th], but Damar mentioned that one of these fleets were originally deployed along the vulcan front and were being withdrawn. Vulcan being a core world was guarded then by a much larger fleet.

The 7th was guarding something less important or a rear action fleet, or was structured for smaller assault operations or...*shrugs*.

This explains the difference between the fleet sizes but makes predicting how big the overall fleet all the more harder. You can take wild guesses and say the 10th[which was guarding earth] as having anywhere between 200-800 ships.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The 10th was just one. The Enterprise.

PIKCARD ROKCS!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I think Starfleet has this amount of each class in service:-
THIS IS PURE GUESS WORK

Intrepid Class:150
Akira Class:300
Excelsior:3000
Ambassordor:3900
Miranda:4500
Galaxy Class:1500
Soveriegn Class:10
Steamrunner Class:350
Sabre Class:350
Defiant Class:6
Oberth:50
Nova:500
Total=14616 starships

During Dominion War 2373-2376
Intrepid Class:95=55 lost
Akira Class:150=150 lost
Excelsior Class:1500=1500 lost
Ambassordor Class:1950=1950 lost
Miranda:2250=2250 lost
Galaxy Class:750=750 lost
Soveriegn:6=4 lost
Steamrunner Class:175:175 lost
Sabre Class:200=150 lost
Defiant Class:4=2 lost
Oberth:20=30 lost
Nova:400=100 lost
=7365 starships left
My Guess is that during the War Starfleet lost 50% of its fleet

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1500 Galaxy Class Starships sounds perfectly reasonable.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Cartman was all grown up and responsible now. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO OUR SECOND-MOST SARCASTIC MEMBER!

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
he forgot four nacelle intrepid variants

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The backbone of the fleet is currently the wildly successful Elkins and Raging Queen classes.

There are four whole fleets of Raging Queens alone....the USS Ultra Magnus being their flagshhip.

By the end of the Dominion War there were eleventy billion Galaxy class dreadnaughts stationed around cleverly oversized Regula spacelabs.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cartman's post got me thinking: if the appearances of ships per class on screen represent the average size of a class, here are some possible numbers:

242 ships counted (only ships with known class designations or onscreen appearances, multiple appearances just count as one. No kitbashes, as we don't know where the spare parts come from. With more time on my hands I could count every appearance of every ship and use that number, but for now - as a test - this will work).
Assuming the size of Starfleet to be 5.000. I didn't sort out ships from the 23rd century because, even if they may not be in service any more, we know that the possible lifespan of a ship can be 100+ years, and especially during the DW they probably used everything they had. Plus, I have no idea which ships have been decommissioned. Again, if I had the time, I'd take it into concideration.

Class - ships (of 242) - ships (approx., of 5000)
Ambassador - 20 - 413 (!)
Apollo - 5 - 103
Cheyenne - 2 - 41
Rigel - 3 - 62
Akira - 4 - 83
Excelsior - 27 ( [Roll Eyes] ) - 558 (!!!)
Andromeda - 3 - 62
Oberth - 12 - 248
Soyuz - 2 - 41
Bradbury - 1 - 21
Miranda - 12 - 248
Norway - 2 - 41
Galaxy - 8 - 165 (DS9-fans know - that's not too exaggerated [Smile] )
Springfield - 2 - 41
Chimera - 2 - 41
Freedom - 3 - 62
Istanbul - 4 - 83
Surak - 2 - 41
Yeager - 1 - 21
Zodiac - 2 - 41
Constitution - 19 - 393 (everyone wants to be Kirk...)
Constellation - 7 - 145
Danube - 12 - 248
Defiant - 4 - 83
Yorkshire - 2 - 41
Wambundu - 3 - 62
Sovereign - 2 - 41
Nova - 3 - 62
Korolev - 2 - 41
Hermes - 1 - 21
Hokule'a - 2 - 41
Olympic - 4 - 83
Sydney - 3 - 62
New Orleans - 5 - 103
Mediterranean - 3 - 62
Merced - 2 - 41
Niagara - 3 - 62
Prometheus - 1 - 21
Ptolemy - 1 - 21
Sabre - 2 - 41
Saladin - 1 - 21
Sequoia - 2 - 41

Assuming there are classes we haven't seen yet and ships already out of service, this should give us - at least for some classes - an impression of what we have to deal with. If anyone wants to further enhance my technique, feel free to do so. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy! Flagship!
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps