Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New to the Boards...

Author Topic: New to the Boards...
Father Robert Lyons, SST
Member # 1372

- posted      Profile for Father Robert Lyons, SST     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello there. I'm new to the boards, and have a project I would like to work on, but need some guidance about how I can go about doing it.

I have always used MS Paint for my imaging, and I want to graduate to something, well, a bit better. I am not going to be able to do 3D, I just don't have the understanding to figure it out, and I am somewhat limited by having a laptop (P4 2.8 GHZ with 60 GB HDD and 512 MB SDRAM), but I would like to at least get a decent program to do starship orthographic views with.

I have several designs I would like to uprate from Paint to something better, and of course, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob+

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Adobe Illustrator rocks.

Are you really a "father" as in priest?
If so, you'll be welcomed with open arms over in the Flameboard. [Smile]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Father Robert Lyons, SST
Member # 1372

- posted      Profile for Father Robert Lyons, SST     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason,

Yea, as in priest :-) Not sure I'll be venturing over to the Flameboard, TNZ over at Trek BBS is quite enough for me, thanks :-)

Rob+

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Rob! Welcome to the Flare.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome. Another vote for Adobe Illustrator, if you have time to learn. Vector imagery is a very diffrent world from pixels and paint.
Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TNZ makes the Flameboard look like Misc, man. It's quite safe in comparison.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll Trinitize the vote for Illustrator.

Vectors are great. Once you draw the shape, you can control the stroke and the fill. You can change the outline at any time, adding and subtracting points, changing the curve between points, etc. Once you have your shapes finalized, you can cine complex shapes, or use shapes to slice other shapes.

It's the berries.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It doesn't really seem to matter which program you use, as long as you *really* get to know one program. Masao uses Freehand, Reverend uses PSP and Bernd uses Designer, and all of it looks great.

(and I use CorelDRAW)

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Father Robert Lyons, SST:
I am somewhat limited by having a laptop (P4 2.8 GHZ with 60 GB HDD and 512 MB SDRAM

Hi there, and welcome to Flare! [Smile]

Your laptop sounds impressive. My desktop is P4 1.7 GHz, 60GB HDD and 256 MB RAM.

I got mine at the end of 2002 which in computer years is an age - but to me it's still new - seeing as my old Pentium 1 I had for 6 years.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Corel DRAW as well. I'd like to second what Harry said. If you really know how to use a program, you can do just about anything you want with it.

This seems like an appropriate place to ask this question as well - Illustrator, Corel DRAW, Freehand, etc. are all very good programs, but can be very expensive. Is there a freeware and/or open source equivalent of these anywhere? There's Blender for the 3D world and GIMP for photo manipulation, but I haven't been able to find any vector programs.

B.J.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps