Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Fighters, Peregrines, and Antares (oh my) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Fighters, Peregrines, and Antares (oh my)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still dont see how Chakotay's ship had a crew of about 40.
They must have "hot racked" it or something....
Or the ship was crammed past it's normal capacity (mabye evacing as much as 20 people before the Cardassians nailed their hideout).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it helps, the Ford Courier was a truck. [Smile]

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, SoundEffect is right, I got 12.5m by scaing the windows of the peregrine and Type 15 shuttlepod.

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/742/comparison.jpg

Second, I thought Chakotay's ship was to only Maquis vessel we ever saw using real photon torpedos (not counting the "blue balls" fired by the tac fighters in SoA, which could be micro quantums as pictured in the DS9TM - their size and the need for storage space could also explain the thick wings btw) and possibly the (micro)-photons used in "The Maquis". By comparison real photon torpedos with a length of 2+ meters would look like huge rockets attached to a modern-day aircraft (given a size of 12m for the tac fighter from "The Maquis" and about 19m for an F-22 I don't see any possibility of fitting a torpedo load and a launcher into such a vessel). It makes more sense to say that - at that time - the Maquis just had two Chakotay-vessels and the weapons were supposed to be installed on them. "The Maquis" takes place around Stardate 47700-47800, "Preemptive Strike" at 47900. If the Maquis just had two tac fighters at that time, where did they get all those ships for the random attack on that Galor in just a couple of days?

And third, was "Ju'day" supposed to be the designation of the class or of the ship?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't agree with the 12.5 meter value.

1. Your comparison is flawed.

http://www.st-v-sw.net/images/VisAid/tacfighter-15-comparison2.jpg

That is a partial-transparency overlay of your comparison image with the original fighter image. Note how not only do the sizes not match up, but the shapes of the windows are different. This shape difference can be seen by looking at pictures of the Type-15, as well.

2. The two values . . . 12.5 vs. 18 . . . are based on different methodologies. For the two to have such vastly different results, there must be a problem.

I do not think the problem rests in my method or the measurements. For the fighter to be 12.5 meters long, the cockpit exterior could only be 1.5 meters in width based on the CGI dorsal view. Cal Hudson, at about 2/3rds of a meter wide based on measurement of his height (the actor is 1.93m) versus width in the episode, would fill almost half of the cockpit. If his copilot were only .6 meters wide (being a smaller guy), then there would only be about 20-30 centimeters (i.e. less than a foot) of extra room between their shoulders and between their shoulders and the wall.

The heavily-modified shuttlepod set appears to give them more room than that (though we only see them from the sides), and the exterior view into the cockpit from the front certainly gives them more room.

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do we have any interior shots with Hudson inside the cockpit?

Furthermore, are we sure the cockpit set was modified in any way? The same set was used for the Defiant shuttlepod in "The Search" some months later, and I'm quite sure that one was in no way modified. Maybe Hudson was just seen from a strange angle that made the cockpit appear bigger than it really is.

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never mind. I posted something, then realized I'd misinterpreted the picture.
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the confirmation Capt. I wasn't comparing the window as the windows are in fact different, but I was comparing the angles and size of the top panel of the shuttlepod with the top panel of the fighter. The sloping angle of the front window area is the same based on the side as well. (Capt., do what you did above but use the side view this time.) Using the same comparison, I still get 12.5m.

The shuttlepod set was used for filming Cal & pal in the fighter's interior, so the external values for the shuttlepod still hold. Yes the actor that played Hudson was a big guy but he was still sitting in the shuttlepod cockpit. Remember too that the shuttlepod's front window panel area is removable for in-close filming, so making another panel with a differently shaped window isn't hard to do.

What measurements are you using for the shuttlepod? According to the prop/set size the overall length is 11'8" despite what the Tech Manuals may have. The roof area is exactly 6' long and 4' wide.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ju'Day" was the name of the class, though we don't know what episode that's from as apparently the sheet in "Repression" (VGR) gave Val Jean as the name of the vessel and just "Maquis raider" as the type.

By the way, does anyone have a screencap of this? I've never seen one. It isn't out on DVD yet (it's season 7) but is there anyone who's got a decent vhs copy? If there's no chance of a cap, can someone at least go visually check it to make sure of what it says?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The text in the Trek Magazine article talks about how Penny Juday came up with the solution to detailing the stand the Maquis ship model was on. The text goes on and I quote:

"The art department were delighted with his solution, and as a special thank-you to Penny, a poster on the wall identified the ship as a Ju'day-class vessel."

You can see there's a diagram of what looks like a direct top view of the filming model with callouts around it. It's way too blurry to see any legible text on it at all. The show may have something, but from the photos in the mag, they shot most of that room from the opposite perspective of that wall chart.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
"Ju'Day" was the name of the class, though we don't know what episode that's from as apparently the sheet in "Repression" (VGR) gave Val Jean as the name of the vessel and just "Maquis raider" as the type.

I can confirm, and did so after reading about it on Ex Astris. My craptastic copy is insufficient to clearly read the words, but by letter count and a few basic letter shapes you can make it out. It's clearer in playback:

-

VESSEL DESIGNATION: "VAL JEAN"
VESSEL TYPE: MAQUIS RAIDER
CREW MANIFEST

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where does "VAL JEAN" come from?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jean Valjean, the fugitive protagonist of Les Miserables. (Bernd makes a good point that this name would be better suited to Eddington's raider from DS9, but alas...)

Where did "Zola" come from? I've always seen it attributed to a script draft of "Parallax," but has anyone confirmed this? Any chance of a transcript of the pertinent passages?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Jean Valjean, the fugitive protagonist of Les Miserables. (Bernd makes a good point that this name would be better suited to Eddington's raider from DS9, but alas...)

So...that brings me to a question I've windered about for a while:
Was Eddington the leader of the Maquis or just one leader among several smaller cells?
The name "Maquis" and the designation "Val Jean" certainly sound like things Eddington would come up with.

Did Tonto...er... "Chakotay" work for Eddington?
Did Ro? Cal Hudson?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It certainly seems Eddington was one of the top leaders of the Maquis... I don't think he was the leader of just a small cell (well, aside from the fact that the Maquis have never seemed too large an organization to me, so...). Or he may have been Cal Hudson's second-in-command, and took over after his demise... certainly, it seems Starfleet considered him an important prisoner.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Mabye Eddington had some close second-in-commands to cover while he did his starfleet duties....
I'm thinking that Eddington's former posting allowed him access to all that Starfleet tech (Perigrines, photon toroedos, supplies for the colonies) and when ythe chance assignment to DS9 came up, he saw a chance too good to pass up for intel and one last biiiiig score.

Mabye he was something like a supply seargent back then.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps