Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » V.S.S. Enterprise

Author Topic: V.S.S. Enterprise
Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may soon be time to update our "Ships Named Enterprise" charts:

Virgin Galactic - V.S.S. Enterprise

Perhaps we should start taking wagers - which will get cancelled first, this or Star Trek: Enterprise?

- Both get cancelled before anything worth reporting happens
- Star Trek: Enterprise gets cancelled first, but we don't care since we're sipping cocktails in microgravity with Richard Branson.
- Virgin Galactic vanishes as quickly as New Coke.
- The V.S.S. Enterprise has a smashing debut, and the producers of Star Trek: Enterprise quickly update the credits in a cross-promotion deal between Viacom and Virgin, claiming "we knew it all along"

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That bearded fucker isn't going to call it the Enterprise is he? And besides, with his track record, would you want to go on any sort of vehicle with him? I'm sure I read somewhere that anytime he's known to be travelling on one of his planes or trains, there's a rash of last-minute cncellations. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joshua Bell:
- Virgin Galactic vanishes as quickly as New Coke.
-

Yeah, and then it reappears two weeks later as "Cherry Galactic"....for a limited time of course.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks like the Galaxy Quest ship. I wonder if there's a captain's chair.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You realize of course that if this happens, this will be the first spacecraft to actually go into space with the name "Enterprise".

....but I'm not sure I want to call this thing a true spacecraft or spaceship. Maybe we need to modify it with "sub-orbital", since that's what it is. Sub-orbital spacecraft/spaceship/spaceplane/whatever.

B.J.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it actually works the government will be all over it and certainly ban civillian missions (as anyone with enough cash could equip a sub-orbital with spy cameras).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

WizArtist
Member # 1095

- posted      Profile for WizArtist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, then what would the Enquirer be printing!

--------------------
I am the Anti-Abaddon.
I build models at a scale of 2500/1

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like there are no civilian satellites!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not without government approval, there arent.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nightmarishly Orwellian!
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I guess...still, the private sector's success rate with launching satelites is no great shakes so some government ovrsight is required if only to prevent parts raining down on populated areas.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oversight is covered by private contractors working within international treaty regulations. It isn't really government oversight. Unless it is a spy or military satellite, the governments of the world have very little say about it.

If you want to see why the private sector is very likely going to be the driving force in the utilization of space, this book is a darned good read: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0375421505/qid=1096549281/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/102-2162676-8205733

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

They determined (via those regulations) what can be payloaded though and at what orbit over where so it's about the same thing.

Several companies would need to make reliable single-stage vehicles at about the same time or using radically diffrent systems really open space to commercial ventures though: else you'll have onecompany claiming "propriatory rights" by achieving return missions first.

It needs to be more of a national focus (here in the US).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

japol
Member # 1149

- posted      Profile for japol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In either case, if the X-Prize and its spin-offs can give the various and sundry, extremely cobweb intensive space programs around the world a healthy kick in the pants... well it would certainly be worth it.

--------------------
I slit the sheet, the sheet I slit, and on the slitted sheet I sit.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee's hatred of Richard Branson frightens and confuses me.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps