Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship list - designers & dates (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Starship list - designers & dates
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, we've all seen various starship lists around here, but I don't *think* I've seen any list to include the designers of the ships, or the first and last dates that we've seen them. I would like to try to put together such a list. Now, this wouldn't include every alien-of-the-week ship we've seen, but I would like to have the major ship designs (Klingons, Romulans, etc.), plus shuttles and starbases.

Here's a start, just from memory (correct me if I'm wrong here):
code:
Class:             Constitution
Designer(s): Matt Jeffries
Date(s) designed: 1966?
Date 1st seen: 1967
Date last seen: 1969
ST date 1st seen: 2267
ST date last seen: 2269

code:
Class:             Galaxy
Designer(s): Andrew Probert
Date(s) designed:
Date 1st seen: 1987
Date last seen:
ST date 1st seen:
ST date last seen:

So, anyone want to help contribute?

Thanks,
B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dates last seen might be self defeating, though - you never know when the ship will appear again. For example, how would you record the appearance of the E-nil from "Trials and Tribble-ations"?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For most, this won't be a problem, since we're not dealing with the TNG era anymore. I'll probably put a disclaimer saying "current as of XXX", just in case. The NX class would probably be listed as 2004+ or something.

As for the Constitution, that one episode I'm going to treat as a special case, since it really doesn't fit the mold. How about " Last seen 1969/1996* " ? (BTW, I'm going to put the refit in a separate entry.)

B.J.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're talking about the design of the E-nil, then doesn't the appearance (as a model) in Nemesis also count?
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

Here's what I've got so far:
 -

It's far from being complete, especially on the corresponding Trek dates. And there's probably many more classes to include as well.

Harry: No, I wouldn't count that. I would generally stick to the appearance of a full-fledged ship, but that doesn't mean I can't contradict myself later! [Big Grin]

B.J.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prometheus was Sternbach. Constellation was both Sternbach and Jein, I think. Intrepid-type and "Iceland"-type were Drexler I believe.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Man Trap" was the first aired ep with the Ent-nil which was on Sept 8, 1966 - "The Cage" never aired.

The rest of your dates are weird in a wrong kind of way. "Balance of Terror" - Dec 13, '66; "Space Seed " is right; might want to mention the GALILEO SHUTTLECRAFT seen in "The Galileo Seven" - Jan 5, '67; "Space Seed" - Feb 16, '67; the Klingon D7 actually aired first as a Romulan ship in "The Enterprise Incident" - Sept 27, '68 and later as a Klingon ship in "Day of the Dove" - Nov. 1, '68 (and if I am wrong about that, then "Elaan of Troyius" - Dec. 20, '68); also the K'tinga and D-7 are different models and so the K'tinga ought to be Dec. 7, '79 as in TMP.

The Constellation was first seen in "The Battle" (w/o Nov 16, '87); the BORG CUBE was first seen in "Q Who?" (w/o May 8, '89); the FERENGI POD first seen in "The Price" (w/o Nov. 13, '89), the ROMULAN SCOUT first seen in "The Defector" (w/o Jan. 1, '90); the Nebula, first seen in "The Wounded" (w/o Jan 28, '91); the SOYUZ in "Cause and Effect" (w/o Mar. 23, '92); the SYDNEY in "Relics" (w/o Oct. 12, '92). The last OBERTH was likely the one seen in Generations (or was there one in First Contact?).

Also, the Intrepid-type and "Iceland"-type were also first seen in "The Expanse" as well....

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

I was wondering about "The Cage". I guess that answers that.

Mind telling me where your dates are from? I don't have my books with me, so I'm gleaning them from gateworld.net right now [edit: I just confimed BoT as 12/15/66 from startrek.com]. (And what does w/o stand for?)

As for the Nebula, I know about "The Wounded", but I can't make up my mind whether to include its prototype seen in BOBW in that listing.

B.J.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w/o = week of

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Star Trek 30 Years - Special Collectors Edition" a rather official publication straight from Viacom/Paramount.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

The Constellation-class was designed by Probert and Sternbach - built by Jein.

The Negh'var is also Sternbach, I do believe.

The Oberth was designed by David Carlson built by ILM.

--------------------

MattC
Member # 1391

- posted      Profile for MattC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enterprise-J was Doug Drexler.

Negh'var was Sternbach.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

Weren't Norway, St(r)eamrunner, and Saber/Sabre also done by Jaeger?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by F.G.:
"The Man Trap" was the first aired ep with the Ent-nil which was on Sept 8, 1966 - "The Cage" never aired.

Well... not entirely true. "The Cage" first aired more than 20 years later, during the 2nd season of TNG (remember that writers' strike?)
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
Weren't Norway, St(r)eamrunner, and Saber/Sabre also done by Jaeger?

Indeed.

Eaves made the Dominion battlecruiser and battleships: I dont know who made the "bug".

I thought Eaves was involved with manking the NX.

Eaves also made the RBOP from Enterprise and (I think) the Ent KBOP Duras died in.

YOu can credit/blame Okuda and Miracki for the BOBW shipbashes.
No idea whi takes the fall for the DS9 kitbashes though. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps