Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Best Fleet Chart? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Best Fleet Chart?
Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B.J.
(BTW, I spent 2 years on the Super Hornet program as a structural design engineer.) [/QB][/QUOTE]

I work on super hornets, I hate them

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And why couldn't the Cardassian and Klingon merchant marines buy ships (or the blueprints for ships) from the same source?
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My squadron is going from F-14Bs to F/A-18Es, so I'll se how they are. though I still think they're oversized lawn darts. Anyway, yes that is correct, compare a regular Hornet to a Super Hornet, you can see the difference. Just like if you were to compare a F-15A and I think they are F-15Es. But that's only a small increase over the original. If you were to increase the size of a Hornet to twice it's normal size, then are problems.

Hell, the reason why they enlarged the Super Hornets was to replace the F-14s. Though many believe even the 30 year old planes are far better than these new aircraft. Personally they should have spent their time on designing a new F-14E.

/End of Rant.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would never claim that the Super Hornet is a replacement for the F-14. The F-14 is an interceptor, and there's not as much need for that type of mission in today's world. One of the major reasons for the Super Hornet was growth. With all the upgrades, they had stuffed the original Hornet to its limit, and couldn't go any further. The Super Hornet has room for future growth in capabilities.

In case you're curious, I worked on the redesign of the trailing edge flaps and ailerons to accomodate the buffet loads encountered during flight test. I released some of the first Model Based-Definition (MBD) parts for that aircraft (that means no 2D drawings to you laypersons).

B.J.

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I like better on the Super Hornet is loading. I am an Ordnanceman and I hated having to load Sparrows or Phoenix or bombs on the belly of the F-14. it was a pain in the ass. The Super Hornet all we have to do is just lift straight up onto the pylon. But they are still a pain in the ass to work on.

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I hated having to load Sparrows or Phoenix or bombs on the belly of the F-14. it was a pain in the ass. The Super Hornet all we have to do is just lift straight up onto the pylon. But they are still a pain in the ass to work on.

You really have my utmost sympathy... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to see a fleet chart done where all the ships are created in the same style - most probably from the same person - and not just piececd together from the encyclopaedia etc. Even the encyclopaedia diagrams aren't consistant. Some are shaded in a particular way, some are more just line drawings etc.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think any of the encyclopedia ships are just line drawings, but it's been awhile since I've looked.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tend to agree but what I REALLY want (and started to do one rainy day in Photoshop) is to have the Fed ships scaled all along the left of the chart, the advasary ships all along the right side (both fleets facing towards the center of some 24x36" canvas) and a Borg Cube (with Sphere) directly in the center.

If someone were to make a nice version of such a chart (even by re-arranging Bernd's bueatiuful charts), I'd print them off a 24x36" copy in color for their trouble!
A nice BLack background would be required though- it's one of the few things that throws me with Bernd's work: i'm not used to seeing the ships out of their element, as it were.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
I don't think any of the encyclopedia ships are just line drawings, but it's been awhile since I've looked.

I think they are. The problem is worse on the page that has the various Enterprises. The nil and A are shaded, and the D is a line drawing. It looks, well, inconsistent.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we can still agree on preferring the shaded pictures to those infernally dark CGI prints found in the new ship entries of the expanded Encyclopedia. A good comparison chart ought to use "schematics" rather than "photographs" for clarity's sake, right?

Timo Saloniemi

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i know a lot of people are working at creating new vector drawings, but if it were simply for a decent fleet chart, i could probably photoshop something equally good looking directly from scans of the CGIs.

for a good new fleet chart, at least steps should be taken to unify the style of the lines and linework and color schemes used. many fall into using graphics collaged from other reference materials, like the ridiculously light-blue ships of the Okudapedia, and the equally incorrect flat-grays that are the favorite of fan artists

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:

A nice BLack background would be required though- it's one of the few things that throws me with Bernd's work: i'm not used to seeing the ships out of their element, as it were.

I'd like to see a good *accurate* profile shot of the Neghvar, Bernds has never been quite right.

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/schematics/neghvar.jpg

...a black background spells out a hell of a lot of ink vs. white.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use toner on a HP 5000 oversize color printer for vinyl and backlight film- a benifit of my job- but you're right: for home printing, that would be a lot of ink and rough on the printer.
Mabye make both a black background and white background version?
I've tried the old "Photoshop Paintbucket" trick on Bernd's charts but that makes a horrible mess and I have not had the time do it via the paintbrush tool.

Bernd's NeghVar loks okay to me: mabye a bit tall in the bridge area though.....the bridge "dome" looks a bit too small (though who can say which version this originally represented?) and the ship seems a bit short- the "neck" should be longer:
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/mechanics/voodieh-model1.jpg
For the NeghVar, the lower structure on the command pod's ventral side should blend in more- that pic looks pretty odd- and the cannons on the wingtips should be more aparant (though not the idiotic 70 meter long tubes of the Vodieth from AGT).

I a loooong time back, I was going to make one uber-chart of all Bernd's charts and print a 24x36" poster for my wall:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1468230&uid=657989
....but I never got back to it, then I realized I could just snag the ships seperately from various sources and arrange something more esthetically pleasing than just slapping Bernd's charts side-by-side....

That would require work though and I am a lazy lazy man.

currently I DO have the charts printed as they are, along with all Gislo's stuff: once I move into an apartment with an extra room for artwork only, I'll adorn all it's walls with such an array of geekyness that a starship fan might swoon from sensory overload.

Request of the year: someone PLEASE make a nice dorsal view starship chart!
I may color Gislo's for kicks and see how that turns out: the resolution on those larger charts is not real great though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

quote:
A good comparison chart ought to use "schematics" rather than "photographs" for clarity's sake, right?
Oh, absolutely. Nothing annoys me more than the occasional detailed images of various ships that would show up where one half the ship would be in total darkness since to some bizarre compulsion to have "realistic" lighting effects.
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps