Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nebula in VOY "Non Sequitur" (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Nebula in VOY "Non Sequitur"
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trying to identify the Nebula in voyager, the captain was not Solok or Shelby, just trying to narrow things down! Plus if you put the subtitles on first contact on, it quite clearly states 'Flagship Endeavour' Maybe Amizov did encounter the borg elsewhere, but of the 40 ships at wolf 359 39 were destroyed (the drumhead) one got away. The Excalibur was lost to the Borg whereas Amizovs comments indicate the Endeavour escaped.

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Detention for you, young master Thrawn! Not coming to the lesson adequately prepared!

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because a) We know the Endeavor was a Nebula, b) no two starships have ever been named the same c) Amisov's encounter with the Borg *must* have been at Wolf 359.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though he may not have been a Captain at that encounter or in command of the Endeavor at the time of the encounter for that matter.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think she'd bother to name the ship, though, were that the case; just the dude. Like, say, if Voyager was on right now, it would be kind of weird to say "Ah, here's Captain Riker of the Titan's description of his encounter with the Borg." Mentioning the ship in this context doesn't really convey any information, either to the other character or the viewer.

Or, rather, it does, in the sense that there might be lots of Rikers in Starfleet, but it sounds awkward and, I think, irrelevant to the matter at hand.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Call me the Master of the Obvious, but, um, does anyone else here realize that Thrawn is trying to identify the Nebula in this episode by associating the comvoice that addressed the Yellowstone with the known captains of previously mentioned Nebbies?! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when was the Excalibur destroyed? And I'm not talking about the Ambassador Class from New Frontier...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure it comes from some passing reference in the events and com chatter of FC. But I'm not really the go-to-guy on the finer points of that...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's probably just that a Starfleeter from the Excalibur once got assimilated, as told in VOY "Survival Instinct". But extrapolating that the ship must have been destroyed is a bit harsh. The E-D wasn't blown up when Picard was kidnapped...

Timo Saloniemi

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise D wasn't destroyed because the Borg had their eyes on Earth, every other time they have encountered a Starfleet Vessal there has been only one outcome. The Enterprise never escaped the Borg Cube even though it tried to flee on three seperate occasions, so there is no way the Excalibur would have escaped unless the Borg wanted them to, or maybe they had Kazon onboard, the only known antidote to assimilation discovered by Federation science.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Umm, the Borg are relatively easily evaded unless they for some mysterious reason want to pursue. And so far there has been no instance of the Borg actually pursuing any starship other than the E-D in "Q Who?" (or the Delta Flyer in "Dark Frontiers). It's the other way 'round that is the normal Borg modus operandi - they run, others try to follow and usually fail.

And contrary to popular belief, there appear to have been a lot more "incidents" involving the Borg than the ones we saw on screen. Otherwise, Picard's "They advance, we fall back" speech in ST:FC would make no sense.

As VOY stands evidence, it's pretty simple to "peacefully coexist" with the Borg, or to suffer only minor losses to them. This may easily have been the fate of the Excalibur as well. (And of the Endeavor, whose captain Janeway listens to in "Scorpion".) Guinan's "Q Who?" assertion that the Borg "don't do anything piecemeal" seems to have been a complete falsehood or misunderstanding on her part...

Timo Saloniemi

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who knows what the circumstances were? Anything could have happened. Excalibur could have managed to best one of those scout ships, only to be forced to run quickly away by something larger. Or, I mean, anything. An away team member stepped into a Borg mouse trap on some planet and couldn't be saved.

And even just going from onscreen encounters (value judgement of those encounters' relative worth as plots withheld), Voyager got away from the Borg lots of times.

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

I don't think the Borg are easily avoided, as soon as the Voyager aproaches a cube to negotiate over 8472, the first thing it does is lock a tractor beam on them even though they're in the middle of a war! Picard says the moment he has dreaded for nearly six years has arrived when the Borg enter Federation space in First Contact. Besides which the 39-40 ratio of Wolf 359 is best explained by the fact the Endeavour was there, had a disastrous encounter with them (hence the evil speech) and survived for Amizov to write it down.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the Endeavor's crew were evacuated from their damaged ship and it was salvaged later.

Or the Endeavour was late for the confrontation with the Cube and the borg couldn't be bothered to fully assimilate the ship

Whatever you want to think.

The Borg were intrested in Voyager initially because they should not have been that far away from the Alpha Quadrant- not because they're desperate for drones or they really really like the Holiday Inn decor of feddie starships.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Picard hadn't been dreading the Borg entering Federation space, he had been dreading an invasion of the Federation. The Borg had been in Federation space before. In other words, the Borg had finally set their sights on attacking the Federation and Picard was worried that there may be no way of stopping them now that they had turned their attention our way.

If only he had known that, instead of sending an entire fleet to meet them, they should have simply sent a lone Intrepid Class, which could have easily taken care of things.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps