Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Some ideas on NCC Numbering (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Some ideas on NCC Numbering
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This occured to me while I was doing a DTA on one of my squadron's F-14s. I do not know whether this was alredy brought up, but it gives you an idea on how the Starfleet would number their starships.

Using this link: F-14 Buno Numbers

Based on this:

In 1969, there were 6 F-14a built in six seperate blocks, but all A/C Buno numbers are chronological going from 157980 to 157985. Again there was six F-14s built in six blocks in 1970, oddly starting from where the 1969 F-14s left off.

But now in 1971, the first F-14 built in that year is 158612. Which is 620 planes built from block F-14A-55-GR to block F-14A-60-GR.

Though in 1978, the first F-18A's Buno Number is 160775, whereas the Buno Number for F-14s in 1978 are 160882 to 160930. Last F-18A built was 163175 in 1987. Buno Numbers for the F-14s in 1987 are 163215 to 163225.

Obviously they are clearly chronological. Does this mean that the US oncwe started out with Buno Number 000001? Probably, and would the US have forsight to have over a 100,000 planes? Maybe. Could they have started out at... let's say at Buno Number 100001 which would be the F/A/G-69 Super Duper Lolipop? Probably. So how does this relate to Star Trek, well obviously we starships with hull numbers fairly close to one another. Now does that mean that all the Excelsior class ships in the 42xxx range are a single block? No, they could represent several blocks or even hundreds. That's if Starfleet orders them in chronological order.

Another thing, is that most of those planes on that webpage, have been in different squadrons as different planes, but one thing that remains the same is the buno number. For example: On the 2002 JFK cruise, A/C 103 was hit by a wave. For the next two years, we had a hard time with the plane's avionics. Eventually we got rid of that plane and A/C 107 was repainted 103. After the 2004 GW cruise, the 'new' 103 caught on fire and fused many of the wire bundles together. The 'new' 107 we recieved, was given to us to replace the 'old' 107 that is now the 'new 103'.

My own plane AG112 (Buno 161870) which we recently got rid of, (not because it's a bad plane but because we're getting rid of all F-14s) started out in squadron KB-31 as a F-14A. It was upgraded as a F-14B and then given to three other squadrons including my own back in 1994, but as A/C AG107.

Just some thought on how to look at the NCC numbering, especially it was a number on an aircraft that started it all.

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VFA-102 wants their jet back

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't follow that, but I'm sure it would make an awful lot of sense if I did. [Razz]

Just out of curiosity, what are they replacing the F-14s with?

Marian

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe F-18E/F's?
If I iirc a bit, I think the vertical-takeoff Joint Strike Fighter is still a few years to bake in the oven until finished.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F/A-18E/F is replacing the F-14 and the JSF will start production in 2008. I work at the Super Hornet/JSF team at NAS Patuxant River

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
w00t.
Do they need a janitor?

Intruder1701
Member # 880

No we have one but he does a shitty job
Get it shitty job!!!
No but he doesnt clean the bathrooms right and he smells bad too

--------------------

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Intruder1701:
F/A-18E/F is replacing the F-14 and the JSF will start production in 2008. I work at the Super Hornet/JSF team at NAS Patuxant River

I hope the Support Equipment is less 50-60's era shit that i've been maintaining for the past 10 years... Taller and Wider Jenny's would be loved much...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Intruder1701
Member # 880

What are you complaining for? We are still hand loading ordnance

--------------------

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
What are you complaining for? We are still hand loading ordnance

*ahem* HLU-288/E and HLU-196B/E (the electric one) equals hand loading?

*pauses* Well i never saw a P-3 pack a Side Winder b4, however....

--------------------

Intruder1701
Member # 880

Im not talking about 288 and 196s Im talking hernia bars for MK82s and 83s and 6 guys locking arms for GBUs

--------------------

Teh PW
Member # 1203

quote:
Im not talking about 288 and 196s Im talking hernia bars for MK82s and 83s and 6 guys locking arms for GBUs

glad i'm not a AO. i don't have to climb down hundreds of feet of shafts on a boat to reach a ammo magazine (unless a 'EE' is broke [Eek!] )

--------------------

Intruder1701
Member # 880

What ship are you on? On my last ship the AOs fixed the EEs

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

Help! Heavy Ordnance namedropping!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think this is fascinating. Almost incomprehensible, but fascinating.

Marian

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps