Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shuttlecraft--a necessity? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Shuttlecraft--a necessity?
MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a question that's been on my mind: when designing a starship, especially for the 23rd century when transporters were less ubiquitous, is it necessary to include a shuttlebay? Is it realistic to expext a ship like Fj's Hermes class to bodly go off with only its transporters and emergency lifeboats?

Marian

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the blueprint set for the Saladin/Hermes I picked up back in the late 80s does include a shuttlebay; it uses the triangular structures on the underside of the saucer as part of the bay doors.

As for whether or not a shuttlebay is necessary, I would think that starships above a certain size would have some sort of shuttle capability, if only to be able to dock a shuttlepod. To me, the question is a little like asking "since we have elevators, is it necessary to include stairs in a skyscraper?" You never can tell when you'll run into an environment where transporters won't work safely; moreover, due to physical, cultural, or personal preference issues, some people may be unwilling (or unable) to use the transporter at all.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside from WK's good points, tere's also the issue of your starship having better things to do than transport one officer to a starbase for heart replacment surgery (or something).

A starship also needs the shuttles to increase it's effectivness in some cases as well- larger shuttles can go into nasty nebulas where your cow of a starship can not and several could be used to increase the effectivness of a search over several systems.

Really, that second part applies more to TNG and later shuttles- the TOS ones seem pretty limited.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No question that shuttles are useful. The question is, are they sufficiently indespensible to be worth all the disadvantages of shoehorning one into smaller ships. I was thinking that the answer is yes, and it seems you both agree. [Smile]

Marian

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starships as small as the Nova Class perhaps may not need shuttles... but they do so it should be like the small shuttlepod versions the Defiant had. Because even the Defiant had to send the Type 10 down in "The Sound of Her Voice" when transporters weren't going to be an option.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be uncomfortable designing a ship with only one method of disembarkation, but it depends on how small "smaller" is, really. I'm not going to insist my lifeboat contain its own smaller lifeboat, for instance.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"To me, the question is a little like asking 'since we have elevators, is it necessary to include stairs in a skyscraper?'"

I think you read the question backward. It's actually more like asking "in an age when elevators weren't common, does it make sense to see a skyscraper without stairs?".

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There comes a time when even engineers would know when there is no room to put a shuttlebay.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd think it also depends on what the starship is supposed to DO.

If all your ships are expected to do everything, then there is no bloody sense in building ships smaller than the assorted Enterprises of the respective eras. But if your Hermes is never intended to explore a planet or evacuate or conquer one, but rather is a dedicated fleet coordination or sigint vessel, then a shuttle is unnecessary. If the ship faces an unexpected situation where the shuttle *would* be needed, the captain's first thought should be "I'll have to get the heck out of here!"...

It's like asking whether a hospital ship ought to have 8 in guns. Sure, they may come in handy when an enemy battle cruiser approaches - but making the hospital ship prepared to face a battle cruiser is just asking for trouble. Far better to deliberately leave the guns ashore so that the captain doesn't get any fancy ideas.

Timo Saloniemi

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I think you read the question backward. It's actually more like asking "in an age when elevators weren't common, does it make sense to see a skyscraper without stairs?".
Not really, since skyscrapers weren't practical until the development of steel skeleton building design, well after Otis' invention of the safety elevator. Thanks to Enterprise, the 23rd Century is in much the same position, since the TOS era is more than a century after the development of transporters; I think my original point is still valid.

However, I think Timo has a valid point as well. The shuttlebay I mentioned from the Saladin blueprint is in two parts, port and starboard; each half is just big enough to house one TOS shuttle. On something like a scout or destroyer you wouldn't need a full-sized hangar deck (even if you could find a place to put it). Space aboard a starship is too valuable to waste on frivolous items; a component should enhance the mission of the ship or it should be chucked. It's one reason I had trouble buying John Eaves' idea that the E-B's saucer modules were extra impulse engines for emergency saucer sep; why sacrifice usable deck space on something you're never supposed to use? (Before we resurrect that corpse again, let me add that I never thought that calling those modules shuttlebays made much sense designwise, either.)

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about smaller ships in today's navy? Destoryers, Frigates, etc... What is the smallest naval vessel that still have launches or dingys?

Shuttles would serve the same purpose, I would think.

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not necessarily. I prefer to think that a launch or dingy is analagous to the transporter in the 23rd+ century. Having a shuttle on board is IMO analagous to having a helicopter on a modern-day ship. Both can get you places, but the the shuttle/helicopter affords you longer range plus additional capabilities.

B.J.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The typical failure modes of small boats don't usually involve the disassembly of their occupants, though.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Risk...is...our business, gentlemen!"

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MarianLH
Member # 1102

First of all, thank you everyone for your insights. As usual, thinking out loud on Flare and reading the responses has unjammed my brain.

quote:
Quoth Timo: I'd think it also depends on what the starship is supposed to DO.
My assumption is that, for the period from TOS to at least the end of the 23rd century, all of the Class One or "Starship Class" vessels are expected to undertake exploration and scientific missions. They all have more or less the same primary hull, with the same lab space, personnel, and array of scientific instrumentation.

All of them, from destroyer to dreadnought, are starships first. Barring a full-up war, or the occasional tour of duty with Starfleet Tactical, all of them are doing the same thing the Enterprise is.

This is my rationale for the existence of these ships. If they aren't doing the same things, they don't need the same primary hull. This to some might be an argument for ditching them entirely and making up something new, but I like these old ships.

Which means Saladin and Hermes and their movie-era decendants need to carry at least one, better yet two shuttles.

WK, who printed those deck plans you have? Although the odds are probably against finding a copy. I have Franz Joseph's Constitution plans, and I find it difficult to imagine cramming a full-size TOS shuttle in there. At least, not without a lot of internal rearranging, which rather defeats the purpose of having a modular primary hull in the first place.

Marian

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps