Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New-ish Nebula in Commnicator? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: New-ish Nebula in Commnicator?
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, seeing as the Sutherland had the later TNG pennant on the shuttlebay but not on the pylon, it definitely was added (and in fact, as you see here, the pennant was removed from the Farragut's shuttlebay).

Now, of course the Farragut did have a lower registry than the Sutherland...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ace:
Yes, the Farragut was the model all repainted, etc. to look good for the movie as seen here.

That's why I said Jason must be baiting us because I figured he must be joking.

NO: I really thought it was the same CGI model from the first Ships of the Line calander.
I could not fathom the modelmakers making such a collosal fuck-up with the extra windows.

DO you have any other pics of the faragut model (showing those windows)?
I've never seen studio model pics with all those windows (thus my thnking it was a CGI cut-n-paste of the Galaxy CGI model).

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do not see why you think the Farragut has as many windows as the CGI. As you can see here, here, and here, the Farragut seems to have the same number of windows as the Sutherland.

The USS Honshu, on the other hand, clearly has more windows like that of a Galaxy class saucer.

::to myself:: Why do I know all this?!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If only it'd have been the Honshu with the 72xxx registry, and the Farragut and the Sutherland with 60xxx ones. Then we could have speculated that first you had the 60xxx Nebulas (-ae?), which pre-date the Galaxy-class therefore they were the first to use this saucer design, then you had a later batch built after the Galaxies but which took design cues from innovations introduced on the Galaxies.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Evolved
Member # 389

Well, the Farragut's registry is NCC-60597, the lowest known registry besides the Honshu. Plus, you could reason that the Honshu was upgraded, or perhaps we have this all backward and the saucer evolution went the other way around...and then of course you could say perhaps that they simply build two different saucer designs for this class.
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
Do Nebula saucers have the capability to separate as Galaxy ones do? If so, maybe that could explain it. BTW, what part is considered to be the ship's "main" part, the saucer or the hull? I mean, if the saucer is damaged but the hull (+nacelles, etc.) is intact and you get a new saucer, the ship may keep its original registry, but if you lose the hull and everything that survives is the saucer section, what then?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^^

I guess it just depends on its crew. Nothing besides some crewmembers survived the explosion over Genesis, still the new ship was called Enterprise, too. If you loose a part of your ship and Starfleet thinks it can be repaired, you'll get a new engineering section/saucer and keep the old name. Maybe with an added -A, but that doesn't seem to be necessary.

On the other hand, if Galaxy A looses her saucer and Galaxy B looses her engineering section and Starfleet decides to combine both vessels, then... uh, well, that never happened anyway. We'll handle that problem when we have to face it. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Extra windows is a characteristic of Nebulas manufactured at the Globulin Shipyards of Betelgeuse IV.

Or something. [Smile]

Marian

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got no problem with them just being design variants, just like the big dish up top is different between some Nebulas.

B.J.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've no problem there, either. If anything, I'd think Galaxy-like features would be typical of early Nebula models, before the class aquired "an identity of its own". Some would have Galaxy saucers, some even Galaxy secondary hulls like the assorted Melbournes and the other tabletop models, because the class-specific designs had not been created yet.

Or it could be mission-specific, sort of. Starfleet might have intended most of the Nebulas to be "worker-class" ships with few flag-showing duties. But when there suddenly were more such duties than there were funded Galaxies, a few Nebulas were built with posh Galaxy saucers for affordable flag-showing. And a few were built with the more muscular, torpedo-toting Galaxy secondary hulls, to do that half of the Galaxy role at lower cost.

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"If anything, I'd think Galaxy-like features would be typical of early Nebula models, before the class aquired 'an identity of its own'."

Of course, that only works on the assumption that the Nebula postdates the Galaxy...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ace:
Well, the Farragut's registry is NCC-60597, the lowest known registry besides the Honshu. Plus, you could reason that the Honshu was upgraded, or perhaps we have this all backward and the saucer evolution went the other way around...and then of course you could say perhaps that they simply build two different saucer designs for this class.

Ah: you're right.
It seems I was thinkingt of only the inaccurate CGI model from the SOTH calander (and that's the version I'm hoping is not ued in this month's Communicator- the point to my original post [Wink] ).

I dont see the Nebula as predating the Galaxy: I also dont think it could be more than 10 years older though either (look at all the shared components!).
It seems silly that later Nebulas would have all the additional windows- that would require massive re-designing of the saucer- and the saucer is still not an exact match for the Galaxy: A diffriently shaped shuttlebay and lack of impulse engines for starters, along with unique lifeboat and transporter emitter configurations and those rear-facing phaser strips...

It's better left as a seperate- and unique- class than retroactivly changing it into a simple re-arrangment of Galaxy parts.

A friend of mine (Novahobbies) pointed out that prior to First Contact, the Nebula was the toughest starfleet ship ever shown.
Or at least as tough as a Galaxy...mabye the Galaxy started as just a more science/exploration oriented Nebula (with the four nacelled Nebula being a stepping-stone design between the two). [Cool]

It seems the Nebula was brought into service to be the heavy-hitter of it's time (along with a score of smaller starships of the BOBW graveyard scene- most of which use Nebula/Galaxy components to some extent: bridges in particular)- possibly as a slow rebuilding of fleet losses from the brief Cardassian War, but that's a whole seperate can of worms.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Evolved
Member # 389

Well, the very first Nebula class we saw, the Phoenix, did seem to take care of the Cardassian fleet pretty easily, destroying even a warship with ease to the amazement of the visiting gul as I recall.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who just happened to look like Dukat, but wasn't. His name was Macett, IIRC.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tell that to Marc Alamo...

So when does this Nebula from the ST: Communicator come out?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps