Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New-ish Nebula in Commnicator? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: New-ish Nebula in Commnicator?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
A friend of mine (Novahobbies) pointed out that prior to First Contact, the Nebula was the toughest starfleet ship ever shown.

And your friend got this information how? I see no evidence that the Nebula was "tougher" than any other current Starfleet ship.

And my memory isn't the best, but I don't remember Marcett expressing amazement at the Pheonix destroying the Cardassian ships. It was more shock that they'd done it. Certainly he seemed to know how powerful the Phoenix was; "...not enough to defeat a Nebula-class starship".

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, that line was referring to one of the other Cardassian targets and not the warship. It's been a while since I've seen the episode, too, but I distinctly recall a whole exchange where Picard and co. had located the Phoenix heading towards its next target. The Enterprise was too far away, but Gul Macet said that one of the Cardassian warships was nearby (and he seemed confident it could stop the Phoenix). Then there was this whole deal about sending the Phoenix prefix codes to the Cardassians with O'Brien protesting, but of course we were then treated to an Atari-display of the Phoenix destroying both the original target and the warship, and the gul's shock/amazement. The Cardassians did seem rather weak in the episode, and their little biker helmets didn't really help.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still got the idea that the shock/amazement was down to the people having been killed. "There were x people on that warship, and on the supply ship...y". Or something.

When the Cardassian ship was attacked the Enterprise at the beginning, did Picard and co give any impression that they were scared?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The opening of the episode made it seem that the Galaxy Class starship can easily take on the Galor Class.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except that Macet's ship probably wasn't one... It was listed as a scout in the episode, and the scale made it look a little smaller. Many people have suggested over the years that it was a stripped-down Galor, or had other key differences to make it different than the "warship" seen only as a blinking dot later on in the episode.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rather got the impression Macet's shock was due to the Phoenix destroying the Cardassian ship even though they had her prefix codes and were able to lower her shields. Which would indicate that the Phoenix was tougher than Macet expected.

Marian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Consider that the Phionex destroyed those (multiple) ships without benifit of shields and the Enterprise herself was destroyed by a lone (and old!) KBOP in the exact same manner.

Mabye the Phionex's Chief Engineer was smart enough to rotate the shield frequency one that initial shot got through. [Wink]

Nova's assumption on the Nebula's toughness is that the Southerland's pod sports multiple launchers (like the Akira) or at least having one more forward launcher than the Galaxy (based on FC's nebula firing from the "neck" like a GCS).

Even without such overkill, the Nebula seems to have the same overall weaponry as a Galaxy in a more compact form (okay, the GCS has more phasers, but none that we've ever seen fired).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I took a quick glance through this Communicator during a break at work today. It is the CGI model with the Galaxy saucer, and it has been re-labeled as the class prototype U.S.S. Nebula, with a registry of NCC-60147. Funny thing is, while that number appears on the dorsal and ventral saucer surfaces, a different registry (NCC-60000) appears on the nacelle pylons. This puzzles me, as neither number has appeared on screen (and therefore aren't remnants of a previous labeling) and both are clearly visible in multiple views of the ship, so it's a pretty glaring mistake that they really should have noticed.

I didn't get a chance to thoroughly review the MSD/cutaway, but it looked like pretty standard stuff. Same on the specs. Anybody have scans?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phht.
I'll pass.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Quoth Jason Abbadon:
Maybe the Phoenix's Chief Engineer was smart enough to rotate the shield frequency once that initial shot got through.

Or maybe Maxwell just found the manual override faster than Khan did. [Smile]

Marian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I meant more that the Phionex's Chief was more on the ball than the blind, unfuckable, recently-tortured, punching-bag from the Enterprise D. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phoenix.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Jean!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

KIRK!

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rocky!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps