Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ You-Nigh-Tech! ["United" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ You-Nigh-Tech! ["United" Spoilers]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well maybe that guy who was lying wounded and dying in "Nor the Battle to the Strong" [DS9] was a MACO of the 24th century!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do I know what? "How do I know that it was an Art Asylum pistol?" Because we know the differences between the actual props and AA's recreation. Or was that more of a philosophical question, as in "How dare I have access to studio sources that you yourself don't?"

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More the former, really. We only saw the prop for a few seconds, so these differences must be pretty blatant. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it me, or does the bridge plan of Romulan WarFlea ( [Smile] ) look exactly like bridge plan of Enterprise A to you as well?

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are pics of the actual prop available, and of course comparison shots of the AA toy. The differences are slight but cumulatively they become quite noticeable. The truth is, screen-used props are often rough and ready affairs that don't stand up to close scrutiny; this, on the other hand, is in plain view and thanks to the moracle of screen-capturing can be closely examined. And it's definitely an AA.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
Is it me, or does the bridge plan of Romulan WarFlea ( [Smile] ) look exactly like bridge plan of Enterprise A to you as well?

Well, only inasmuch as it's round. The walls don't have stations on them, though.

I was impressed by the fact that both the Vulcans (or at least the High Command office) and the Romulans use clear control panels. Nice touch.

But, the Warflea's warp system being so different than the Dominion-esque nacelles from those Romulan minefield ships is a concern, given that it was claimed to be a modified Warbird. Then again, given that there wasn't a trace of crew quarters and such, I'd say we can postulate that "modified" is a term that says mouthfuls in this case.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we know what a Romulan Warbird from this era looks like. The one we've seen before has been referred to as a Bird of Prey, but even that's conjecture. So who's to say exactly how much modification was done?

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Maybe if you strip everything off of a Romulan TNG-era bird, all you have left is a cockroach with an outhouse sitting on top. [Smile]

As for the bridge, I don't see any real resemblance or recyclage of other sets besides elements of Nemesis (and even that might be questionable, despite the logos). However, it IS interesting to note that all the consoles faced inwards, as on the TOS bird...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
True, they did. Good eye.

As for the Romulan ship from "Minefield", no one mentioned any name for it in particular.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pictures for comparison?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although it doesn't really stand up to close scrutiny, the flea does sort of look like it could be the forward 'head' section on a Warbird.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
As for the Romulan ship from "Minefield", no one mentioned any name for it in particular.

The Romulans themselves called it the 'drone'. Archer called it a 'marauder'.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the addition of 'Jolan Tru'. Not heard, I don't think since "Unification".

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
T'Pol's quote of a Vulcan saying was interesting - "One man can summon the future."

Harkens back to an exchange in "Mirror, Mirror":

Kirk: "If change is -- inevitable -- predictable -- beneficial -- doesn't logic demand that you be a part of it?"

Mirror Spock: "One man cannot summon the future."

Kirk: "But one man can change the present!"

Someone else had to point out the link to me, but I knew when I heard it that it must have a connection somewhere.

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"As for the Romulan ship from 'Minefield', no one mentioned any name for it in particular."

"The Romulans themselves called it the 'drone'. Archer called it a 'marauder'."

"Minefield". Not "United".

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps