Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Blue Man Tech! ["The Aenar" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Blue Man Tech! ["The Aenar" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been a fairly strong trilogy so far - assuming this third part, which introduces AND resolves the Aenar part of Andorian culture, doesn't seem too tacked-on, we'll hopefully have a winner here. What to look for:

-Just how the hell telepathy is boosted by technology - and how T'pol gets to do just this in the context of the episode.

-How the Romulans of this era compare to the others, and how the convenient notion that the Aenar they've been using fits into the "never seen us!" mythology.

-Hopefully, some combined fleet action with the Humans, Vulcans, Andorians and Tellarites finally wiping out the Flea. However, I'm guessing that there won't be any elves or pigs this time out.

-A lot of Andorian stuff! This is a planet we've never seen. Look to see how the Andorian "look" ties into their territory, including their antennae working to their advantage.

-Speaking of which, Shran should be fully compensated by now for his missing extremity. A shame that we'll never see him at full strength again before the show ends.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shran==Martok? [Wink]

Would be nice if someone with some knowledge of the Andorian lore written on the Last Unicorn Games' RPG books watches this and sees how many elements are taken from it. So far, the duel thing is going strong.

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They mentioned a ship named Ticonderoga. It was a transport vessel that was destroyed by the marauders. Odd question. Was there any mention of the Ticonderoga in the closing credits?

Thanks in advance.

--------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://Captain.USSTiconderoga.org

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andoria is a moon of a ringed gas giant. Neat.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I rather think that was supposed to be another planet in the same system. Could be wrong, though.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the Aenar live in the 'Northern Wastes' of Andoria, it is obvious that Andoria is that barren ice moon.

Anyway, Andorian cities are underground. Shran didn't see the sun until he was 15. Sometimes, the temperature reaches above freezing point for a few days. That would be considered a heat wave. Remember Kasidy Yates wanted to take Sisko on a honeymoon to the 'Andorian mountains'. Nothing like the surface of a barren ice world for romance!

We actually get a nice view of the Aenar city in a cave. It's technologically advanced, and Shran mentions a dampening field. Perhaps this is why the 'blueskins' only (re-)disovered the Aenar 50 years ago. The interior set looks like a re-use of the Soval torture chamber.

The crew build their own 'telepresence' setup in Sickbay. They can't control the drone, but they can interfere with it. They need an Aenar to operate it.

Icebores are rather unlikely little worms that generate enough heat to melt through ice.

The antennae have a function in the balance system, since Shran is still walking like a drunk.

The Romulans have built another probe, and have repaired the other.

The Earth transport Ticonderoga has been destroyed by the Romulans. The probe fakes the appearance of a Tellarite freighter. It's a re-use of the Retellian freighter from "Precious Cargo".

Both drones are destroyed, and the Aenar is killed. That pretty much ruins the chances of more Romulan tricks using the telepresence thing.

Trip has been asked to transfer to Columbia twice, but now he wants to transfer himself. I expected Archer's immediate refusal, but it seems that Trip will be going to Columbia.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Since the Aenar live in the 'Northern Wastes' of Andoria, it is obvious that Andoria is that barren ice moon.

I meant that the "moon" (Andoria) is actually a planet, and the gas giant is the NEXT planet in the system. I don't know why this makes any difference, though.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awfully close to be planets. In fact, insanely improbably close.

But then again, we've seen worse.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't understand how a subspecies like the Aenar can be so technologically advanced yet be so isolated from the rest of the planet. That'd be akin to South American tribesmen having cars and cell phones, wouldn't it?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are enough ways to explain that away. Contact was made around 2100, so there's enough time for stuff to happen. It was specifically called the 'Aenar compound', and it was equipped with dampening fields. It could have been specifically built for the Aenar by the blueskins.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's true.

I just can't see how an isolated colony with limited contact can stay technologically current. It's trade, commerce, exchanging of ideas that keep propelling civilizations forward.

And I thought the question if the Aenar could have built the marauder to be a bit out there. Pacifists aside, there is no way they could keep that a secret. They'd need all the advanced technology they could find, plus a construction area (possibly orbital).

I just can't imagine the Andorian government or military missing something like that, especially if it's on the same planet.

Yet, Shran's mane objection was that they were pacifists. LOL

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
That'd be akin to South American tribesmen having cars and cell phones, wouldn't it?

Well, that may surprise you, but in fact they do nowadays.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does everyone have a car and cell phone but me? [Wink]
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

quote:
Originally posted by machf:
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
That'd be akin to South American tribesmen having cars and cell phones, wouldn't it?

Well, that may surprise you, but in fact they do nowadays.
It would suprise me if they invented or produced those cell phones.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I just finished watching "The Aenar". Very good episode. A solid finish to the "Andorian Trilogy". Liked it lots! Why doesn't Trip just start humping T'Pol's leg!?! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps