Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Blue Man Tech! ["The Aenar" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Blue Man Tech! ["The Aenar" Spoilers]
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be unprofessional Andrew... that's why. Also, that would be reserved for May sweeps.

I'm still confused though as to why the Romulan Nemesis uniforms were used... other than the fact that it's cheaper than making new ones. And that flea looks like something from The Forge in Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those "Nemesis" uniforms were actually first introduced in DS9.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
quote:
That'd be akin to South American tribesmen having cars and cell phones, wouldn't it?

Well, that may surprise you, but in fact they do nowadays.
It would suprise me if they invented or produced those cell phones.
I simply interpreted it as the Aenar got the tech from the Andorians after discovery, not that they invented it themselves.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that the room Shran was tended to had writing on the walls suggests that the Aenar didn't build the place.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Manticore:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by machf:
quote:
That'd be akin to South American tribesmen having cars and cell phones, wouldn't it?

Well, that may surprise you, but in fact they do nowadays.
It would suprise me if they invented or produced those cell phones.
I simply interpreted it as the Aenar got the tech from the Andorians after discovery, not that they invented it themselves.
Yep. No need to reinvent the wheel, after all.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Those "Nemesis" uniforms were actually first introduced in DS9.

I don't think so. While I haven't any screencaps to back me up, I seem to recall that the DS9 uniforms were similar but not the same. They were like a half-way point between the TNG and Nemesis ones.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would the Ticonderoga be mentioned in the end credits?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One possible bit of evidence that the Andorians built the compound for the Aenar: the place had lights. Why would a blind species need lights?

B.J.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious as to how a species - a bipedal one at that evolved on Andoria. They geothermal vents, Shran mentioned?

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the planet wasn't always so cold
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, considering how cold Andoria appears to be, one might ask the same question of the Andorians. I mean, OK, the fact that they're just people with antenna and blue blood sort of trumps any evolutionary argument we might make, but still. The sort of life on Earth that is like us (mammals, say) have evolutionary histories rather dependant on conditions allowing for liquid water more often than once every few years, and the sort of life that doesn't care what the surface temperature is (for instance, those hydrothermal vent communities) isn't much like us.

The strangest thing about the Aenar city, anyway, would probably not be the writing or the lighting, but the nice big picture windows. Their tunnels were well lit, too, apparently naturally. (Well, again, they were well lit so that we could watch along at home, but you would think that, if we were meant to think the tunnels were dark, they would at least have been lit like standard TV-night. ((Which is to say darker than normal, but not quite so dark as in reality, so as to not completely hide the picture.)))

Having said that, large ice sheets would be a great way to isolate populations for long periods of time.

I was kind of expecting the Aenar to be a bit more primitive, as well. Like, I was imagining the way human populations have tended to remain isolated; technologically innovative cultures have larger socio-economic "footprints," if you will, and are easier to see, in the sense of, you know, noticing that they are out there. Like, for instance, China and Rome, who were indirectly engaged in trade along the Silk Road before "first contact" (in a sort of formal sense, I guess, as per this page) Meanwhile, so-called "primitive" cultures in isolated parts of the world have small footprints and have evaded discovery well into the modern era.

I'd be a little surprised if any managed to remain hidden after the invention of faster than light travel and other extreme examples of technowizardry, but living deep underground might help, and I don't think anyone mentions whether that dampening field was natural or not. (That was sort of a lame mechanism to allow for the, uh, one lady's last minute confrontation with her peers, though, wasn't it? I think it would have worked just as well if they had simply been under too much material for the transporter to work or the sensors to function with optimum resolution.)

Incidently, this is the first episode of Enterprise I've seen since last year's season finale.

(I liked how, at least in this installment, none of the Romulans seemed to be particularly excited about their mission; just duty-bound to it.)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

The Romulans were actually written quite... Romulan-like... loyalty, distrust etc. Even a little compassion on the part of the Scientist.

--------------------

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wondered about Andor too. If it's that frozen, where and how do they grow enough food to sustain themselves? They had to do that long before they became as technologically as they are now.

Food, fresh water, raw materials, etc...

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek has never made biological sense, so I'm just gonna nod my head happily and ignore the errors. [Wink]

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember that what we saw were presumably the 'Northern Wastes' Shran spoke of. Perhaps there is more geological activity further south, with natural 'ice caves' or even completely open space to allow for animals and Andorians to evolve/survive.

Remember, Andoria is supposed to have a horse-like creatures (zabathu) as well as 'Andorian bulls'. So there have to be some really large, old ice caves somewhere.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps